Tour de France 2018

A little late getting to this, between the World Cup and the WSOP.

Team time trials tomorrow for stage three. Froome lost time with a Day 1 crash late, and questions about his bad doping test within the last year are still in the air.

Course this year features the cobbles of Paris-Roubaix, Alpe d'Huez in the Alps, and then both Col du Tourmalet and Col d’Aubisque in the same Pyrenees stage.

Annual question - do I record the morning show to watch at night or watch the evening show?

Team time trial is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Annual question - do I record the morning show to watch at night or watch the evening show?

First team trial in three years, I think. Agreed, a great discipline.

I watch the night show during the week, but only because it meets my schedule. Both are good, both are different.

Lots of carnage again today. Early stages are bumper cars.

Record them daily so you can have access to it if you want. Then make the decision based on your available time or the stage.

Another option: fork out $50 for NBC Sports Gold, which is the annual subscription for cycling. They broadcast both the world feed, the NBCSN feed, and lots of other features. And you get the Paris-Roubaix, the Vuelta, AMGEN Tour of California, etc. I'm pretty sure that's the only way to get on demand access. I just checked on DirectTV Now, thinking I could watch yesterday's stage now, then pick up the time trials at noon. Nope. At least DirectTV Now has the new beta version of the DVR.

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    Record them daily so you can have access to it if you want. Then make the decision based on your available time or the stage.

Another option: fork out $50 for NBC Sports Gold, which is the annual subscription for cycling. They broadcast both the world feed, the NBCSN feed, and lots of other features. And you get the Paris-Roubaix, the Vuelta, AMGEN Tour of California, etc. I'm pretty sure that's the only way to get on demand access. I just checked on DirectTV Now, thinking I could watch yesterday's stage now, then pick up the time trials at noon. Nope. At least DirectTV Now has the new beta version of the DVR.
    Paris-Roubaix always amazes me. It doesn't seem to matter if it rains that day or not, the riders always end up covered in mud. It may just be the times I've actually seen it, though. I'm sure there are times they aren't muddy.

Paris-Roubaix always amazes me. It doesn't seem to matter if it rains that day or not, the riders always end up covered in mud. It may just be the times I've actually seen it, though. I'm sure there are times they aren't muddy.
    I've heard from people who have ridden it that TV doesn't do it justice as to how rough the cobblestones are. To me, though, it seems to add a random element into such a major event, such as when Lance got 3 or so flats on it in his "clean" comeback attempt.

Riders cracking on a Cat 3 today — gonna be a long tour upcoming for some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I've heard from people who have ridden it that TV doesn't do it justice as to how rough the cobblestones are. To me, though, it seems to add a random element into such a major event, such as when Lance got 3 or so flats on it in his "clean" comeback attempt.
    Was it George Hincapie that had his handle bars fall off?

Lawson Craddock story is inspiring. Rode several stages with broken scapula? Raised lotta $ for velodrome in Houston...although I’m not sure an outdoor velodrome is such a good idea, especially in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    Lawson Craddock story is inspiring. Rode several stages with broken scapula? Raised lotta $ for velodrome in Houston...although I’m not sure an outdoor velodrome is such a good idea, especially in Texas.
    Oops. Craddock is still in the race. He has the “lantern rouge” (last place overall) but that’s understandable.

Cobbles are brutal.

Too bad a number of GC contenders are out or out of contention based on things other than how fast they can ride their bikes up big mountains. It seems the biggest suspense left is between teammates Froome and Thomas, which may not come down to who is the strongest if Froome is at least close and Thomas is deferential to the designated team leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Too bad a number of GC contenders are out or out of contention based on things other than how fast they can ride their bikes up big mountains. It seems the biggest suspense left is between teammates Froome and Thomas, which may not come down to who is the strongest if Froome is at least close and Thomas is deferential to the designated team leader.
    Yeah, I was enjoying riders other than Froome getting some attention.

Interesting note: if you watch the crowd between 4K and 3.7K left in the race for the leaders, someone is waving an NCSU cycling jersey. Pretty cool to see the ACC represented!

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    Yeah, I was enjoying riders other than Froome getting some attention.

Interesting note: if you watch the crowd between 4K and 3.7K left in the race for the leaders, someone is waving an NCSU cycling jersey. Pretty cool to see the ACC represented!
    Thomas bested Froome again today. As much as Thomas says he doesn't know if he'll hold up for 21 stages and he's still supporting Froome, he's not backing off as long as his body holds up, and he has a lead. That dynamic should be interesting, and I'm cheering for Thomas. Too bad Quintana's incredible promise from a few years ago hasn't fully materialized.

I just saw this http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/paul...-dies-aged-62/

Paul Sherwen will be missed by many.

I just saw this http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/paul...-dies-aged-62/

Paul Sherwen will be missed by many.
    Won't be the same watching the Tour without him.

Very very sad. Way too young.