Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    In 2972 the basketball stadium was really called Duke Indoor Stadium before the name was changed to Cameron? I like that name (Duke Indoor) better. Wish they hadn’t changed it.
    I disagree...it was proper to change it to honor Eddie Cameron, a real throw back. There's no way it would be as famous with a generic name like Duke Indoor Stadium...everything else remaining equal.

And it's genius of them to keep "indoor stadium" instead of renaming it a more modern "Cameron Arena" or "Cameron Coliseum" or something. When it was built, 9000 seats was a "stadium" - but by the 70s, it was tiny - and yet they kept the name Indoor Stadium. That's part of the charm and history of the place. That decision was brilliant. Or maybe just lucky. Either way...it has worked.

And ole Brent Musberger never could get the name right..."Cameron Indoor Arena..." which made no sense and had no panache.
    Geez Brent, read the name right.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I disagree...it was proper to change it to honor Eddie Cameron, a real throw back. There's no way it would be as famous with a generic name like Duke Indoor Stadium...everything else remaining equal.

And it's genius of them to keep "indoor stadium" instead of renaming it a more modern "Cameron Arena" or "Cameron Coliseum" or something. When it was built, 9000 seats was a "stadium" - but by the 70s, it was tiny - and yet they kept the name Indoor Stadium. That's part of the charm and history of the place. That decision was brilliant. Or maybe just lucky. Either way...it has worked.

And ole Brent Musberger never could get the name right..."Cameron Indoor Arena..." which made no sense and had no panache.
    Brent often said "the Cameron" as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I doubt that you knew Eddie Cameron. Maybe you should look him up.
    But, by 2972 will it still be Cameron Indoor Stadium?

Hurley to Hill 3/4 court one handed alley oop from the rafters...natty game v Kansas...
    Agree that this was a great play, but Hurley passed the ball from only about 35 feet from the goal.
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    Agree that this was a great play, but Hurley passed the ball from only about 35 feet from the goal.
    ...come on now...you gotta add one foot a year to the story...

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Brent often said "the Cameron" as well.
    Yes he did...and that never bothered me...but I would SMH every time he would say "the Cameron Indoor Arena"....it's like he knew it wasn't really a stadium, but didn't understand the historical quaintness of the concept of calling it an indoor stadium.

Of course, Duke had a Canadian player in the 70s named Cameron Hall....a friend of mine said - in jest - that's what they should call the arena.

Of course, in those days, Duke was just becoming must see TV....so I was happy anytime Brent was in the house...

Certainly better than "Coack K Court at the KFC YUM! Center."

For some reason, it irks me no end when the national media refer to Duke's home courts as "Cameron Indoor." I've never heard it called that by anyone local. It's Cameron or Cameron Indoor Stadium or CIS. But not Cameron Indoor.

What is now known as Wallace Wade Stadium was originally Duke Football Stadium. So, when the basketball arena opened in 1940, it was called the Indoor Stadium to distinguish it from the football stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    What is now known as Wallace Wade Stadium was originally Duke Football Stadium. So, when the basketball arena opened in 1940, it was called the Indoor Stadium to distinguish it from the football stadium.
    And as far as I can tell, it's the only facility called XYZ Indoor Stadium. Has anyone heard of another one?

And as far as I can tell, it's the only facility called XYZ Indoor Stadium. Has anyone heard of another one?
    This is the only other one I can find and I suspect it’s not very well known
    http://www.bathurstindoorsports.com.au/

Bathurst Indoor Sports Stadium in Australia that’s in a town not all that far from Sydney.

Ah here’s another much closer to home that just opened last year:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Richardson_Indoor_Stadium

I wonder where they got the idea!
    Last edited by Bluedog; 07-09-2018 at 10:29 PM.

Singapore Indoor Stadium:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sing...Indoor_Stadium

But I cheated did a Google search.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Ah here’s another much closer to home that just opened last year:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerr...Indoor_Stadium

I wonder where they got the idea!
    Yeah, wonder where they got that indeed.

I understand that Heels not happy with the Dean Dome and will rebuild or dramatically renovate. Now that Roy has greatly surpassed Dean in greatness (50% more titles) maybe they rename the place OleRoyarena.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    I understand that Heels not happy with the Dean Dome and will rebuild or dramatically renovate. Now that Roy has greatly surpassed Dean in greatness (50% more titles) maybe they rename the place OleRoyarena.
    Nope. At least for DBR and PackPride, it should forever be known as the dean's myth center.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Nope. At least for DBR and PackPride, it should forever be known as the dean's myth center.
    The Nose Dome, or the Schnoz Center, for me.

ES, DS, ES.

(Yes, my dislike of Dean was much stronger than my dislike of Roy, bless his heart).

Yeah, wonder where they got that indeed.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of strategy. Wofford, which is a beneficiary of the Duke Endowment, has long had a a bit of Duke envy, as is evident from this short article by the Wofford archivist:

The Wofford-Duke connection

What do two Methodist-related colleges, both founded in neighboring states in the years before the Civil War, have in common? In the 19th century, each faced lean years, found ways to survive and focused on teaching undergraduates. They both gained fraternities, student literary magazines and football within a year or two of each other. But in the 1890s, one began a turn toward becoming a university, while the other remained an undergraduate liberal arts college. Even after that, Wofford and the college then known as Trinity retained some connections.

Wofford provided leadership for its North Carolina sibling as it went through the college to university transition. In 1894, Wofford alumnus and professor John C. Kilgo left Spartanburg for Durham to serve as the growing college’s new president. He worked assiduously to cultivate the Duke family’s interest during his 16-year presidency. When he was elected a Methodist bishop in 1910, another Wofford alumnus, William Preston Few of the class of 1889, succeeded him as president. The relationship with the Duke family continued, and in December 1924, James B. Duke announced his plans to create the Duke Endowment and to build a research university around Trinity College. In honor of his father and family, the university was to bear the family’s name.

To help ease the pain that Wofford felt at being left out of the Duke Endowment, Benjamin N. Duke offered Wofford a $100,000 challenge gift, which President Henry Nelson Snyder used to leverage other gifts into a $250,000 increase in Wofford’s endowment.

The two institutions took different paths, but still shared some important ties. Many Wofford students since have pursued graduate work at Duke, and a number of Duke graduates later took faculty appointments at Wofford. The eighth president of Wofford, Paul Hardin III, was a Duke graduate and faculty member. Today, approximately 14 current and emeriti faculty at Wofford hold degrees from Duke.

The Wofford Duke connection will stretch in another direction on New Year’s Eve as the Terriers travel to Cameron Indoor Arena to play the Duke Blue Devils in basketball. Gold and black will likely be in short supply because tickets to Duke games are such a hot commodity, but a few Terriers will be there, and those who are there will know that Duke just wouldn’t be Duke without a little Wofford.

by Dr. Phillip Stone ’94, college archivist
    My uncle, a Wofford grad, claimed that Wofford would have been the beneficiary of the James B. Duke, but it refused to change its name. You also here that much more about Princeton. Neither is true. Fact: the Dukes were from Durham. Washington Duke, who founded American Tobacco, paid to move Trinity College from rural Randolph County to the current site of East Campus. He also paid for a lot of other stuff, including East Duke and West Duke. I believe his son, James B. Duke, donated funds for the Trinity College library. Thus, it should be no surprise that the institution in Durham became the primary beneficiary of the J.B. Duke estate. William Prston Few, long-time Duke President, developed a close relationship with Mr, Duke and shared his vision of a national university.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The Nose Dome, or the Schnoz Center, for me.

ES, DS, ES.

(Yes, my dislike of Dean was much stronger than my dislike of Roy, bless his heart).
    Equally loathsome to me. (Yes, "great" minds sometimes differ .)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Doesn’t TBeard get credit for the glorious shortened version of the Dean E Smith Student Activities Center better known as
    Dean’s SAC I guess you could even go as far as
    Dean’s Big 9F Ball SAC as it does hold 21,750

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    OR...

The Dadgum Pavilion
    Aw Shucks Coliseum
    The Library

OR...

The Dadgum Pavilion
    Aw Shucks Coliseum
    The Library

That might be one way to make a "u"NC basketball crowd even quieter - ensure zero student attendance at games.