Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks to everyone here who contributed ideas! I made the video, which can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_9pfo2fi_I
    If enough people submit enough more plays, I'll make a part two... so feel free to keep them coming!

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdevil View Post
    Thanks to everyone here who contributed ideas! I made the video, which can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_9pfo2fi_I
    If enough people submit enough more plays, I'll make a part two... so feel free to keep them coming!
    Fantastic work!

I didn’t see Capel’s half-court shot at the buzzer to send the game to OT v. UNC. Although we lost in OT, we had no business getting it to OT in the first place. That might be worth peeping for the next version.

https://youtu.be/l7XxZ8EoRbU

Hurley’s over-the-shoulder dump to Laettner for the flush, at the beginning of the second half in the 1992 NC game, was great too. Not only a great play, but got Laettner going after a horrendous first half.

https://youtu.be/oNs8hl1sQAg

(Appreciate you including the two Dawkins clips!)
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 07-08-2018 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Finding clips and got distracted!!

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Please tell me that you are going to include the greatest most famous play in college hoops history.

And yes, there are insane highlights if you can find them. The resolution of the Banks dunk over Ralph is bad, but that's as good a dunk as was ever done by a Duke player or anyone else. And Phil Henderson's jam over Alonzo Mourning was maybe the first high profile big time dunk Duke had. It sent a message.

And for ugly but effective, and timely, there's Battiers back hand tap in late against Zona in the title game.
    If you're looking for a Battier highlight, don't overlook his chase-down block of a Joseph Forte lay-up against Carolina in '01.

And Dahntay Jones' block and subsequent push-ups against UVA in '03.

Great job! Others to consider:

Christian Laettner's "other" East Regional game winning shot, against UConn in 1990
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DD2fEEVVMk

Kenny Dennard's reverse dunk in the 1978 East Regional (hopefully you can find better video quality than this)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tfBO9WWtF0

And Grayson's game winner against UVA in Cameron in 2016!

Nate James tip in to beat Maryland in the 2001 ACC semis.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Hurley to Hill 3/4 court one handed alley oop from the rafters....natty game v Kansas...

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    If you're looking for a Battier highlight, don't overlook his chase-down block of a Joseph Forte lay-up against Carolina in '01.

Those were great...Dahntay and his push ups!!!

Another big moment: Mark Alarie opens the scoring in the Dean's Myth Center....nothing will ever change the fact that a Duke player scored the first ever hoop there.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Those were great...Dahntay and his push ups!!!

Another big moment: Mark Alarie opens the scoring in the Dean's Myth Center...nothing will ever change the fact that a Duke player scored the first ever hoop there.
    And Jim Valvano made the last bucket in Carmichael.

There's been so many so I have to say Rivers dagger in Chapel Hill The Dean Dome was in a frenzy and the crowd was loud when Duke took the ball down the court. He hit that shot and suddenly I knew what the sound of silence really meant.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    And Jim Valvano made the last bucket in Carmichael.
    LOL, I was thinking about that as I was posting...he took the ball from I think Billy Packer in the post game interview, drove down for a lay up...if memory serves (and memory does not always serve...)

All great ! Thanks for doing this. Dawkins blocking David Rivers was as good as it gets. So many other great ones !

It wasn't a block but rather a "great googly moogly" dunk(Brad Daugherty call).

https://youtu.be/jDd7tK5c6S0

Dahntay also had a ridiculous alley-oop dunk in the 2001 blue white game...IIRC, he was running baseline and caught the ball outside of the lane and slammed it home with authority. I was in attendance but have never seen video of the dunk. If someone could find a clip, I would be very appreciative.

Battier's tip in by flipping his fingers backwards against Arizona is also one of the all time greats. I think he was after as out of position as Bagley was in the game against Kansas on Grayson's shot. But somehow figured out a way to score the bucket.

Nevermind I see it's in your video already.
    Last edited by Ian; 07-09-2018 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Battier's tip in by flipping his fingers backwards against Arizona is also one of the all time greats. I think he was after as out of position as Bagley was in the game against Kansas on Grayson's shot. But somehow figured out a way to score the bucket.

Nevermind I see it's in your video already.
    This sequence, which includes a typical play that only Battier could make, is also from the 2001 Championship game. I think my favorite part is watching Reggie Love's reaction, and the reaction of the bench as a whole, after a white hot Dunleavy unleashed one of the most insensitive fakes I have ever seen(filthy). Amongst the 4 3s shown, he might have hit the rim once, after the ball was 3/4 through the hoop.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    This sequence, which includes a typical play that only Battier could make, is also from the 2001 Championship game. I think my favorite part is watching Reggie Love's reaction, and the reaction of the bench as a whole, after a white hot Dunleavy unleashed one of the most insensitive fakes I have ever seen(filthy). Amongst the 4 3s shown, he might have hit the rim once, after the ball was 3/4 through the hoop.]
    Thanks for posting that...that whole sequence was amazing...as yes, that was a "Battier only" play, and a nasty fake by Dunleavy.

1990 Laettner v. UCONN

I think it was Robert Brickey who preserved a 1988 win at Chapel Hill with a last-second block of Jeff Lebo.

In the 1980 NCAAT Vince Taylor blocked Kyle Macy at the buzzer to lock up a win not over Kentucky but at Kentucky.

Of course, Macy has always maintained that he was fouled.

Billy King's defensive job against Mark Macon in the 1988 Elite Eight is justifiably the stuff of legends. Not sure it can be reduced to a single play, however.

Mike Gminkski's tip-in late to give Duke a one-point lead in the 1980 ACCT title game against Maryland and Kenny Dennard's subsequent wipe-out of Buck Williams, which somehow went uncalled.

Tate Armstrong had two buzzer-beaters in the 1976/77 season, Washington and Richmond. Both in Cameron.

Duke played South Carolina in the 1967 ACCT semifinals. SC had a point guard named Jack Thompson. Their was much talk about how Thompson had not had a turnover off his dribble all season. Down a point late, SC ball, Bob Verga picks Thompson's pocket and goes in for game-clinching lay-up.

Good luck finding video of lots of the pre-K stuff. But some ideas of what to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, this is THE greatest play in Duke basketball history --

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/video/14738424/
    That's a great video - after the first few seconds, it was all new to me. I love how confident and articulate he was with the press right from the start of his Duke career. So poised!

Yet the early part of the video cuts off my favorite part. He spells out his last name for the reporters, and then quips something like, "... and if you think that's bad, you should have seen it before I changed it!"

Robby West's late jumper to beat UNC in 1972, the day Duke Indoor Stadium became Cameron Indoor Stadium.
    In 2972 the basketball stadium was really called Duke Indoor Stadium before the name was changed to Cameron? I like that name (Duke Indoor) better. Wish they hadn’t changed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    In 2972 the basketball stadium was really called Duke Indoor Stadium before the name was changed to Cameron? I like that name (Duke Indoor) better. Wish they hadn’t changed it.
    I doubt that you knew Eddie Cameron. Maybe you should look him up.