Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

All Time Greatest Plays in Duke History?

I want to make a highlight reel of the best plays in Duke history. However, as I'm still young and haven't been watching Duke basketball since the stone age like some of y'all, I don't have a great idea of what those plays might be. Can people please recommend me some plays so I can create the ultimate Duke highlights?

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdevil View Post
    I want to make a highlight reel of the best plays in Duke history. However, as I'm still young and haven't been watching Duke basketball since the stone age like some of y'all, I don't have a great idea of what those plays might be. Can people please recommend me some plays so I can create the ultimate Duke highlights?
    Phil Henderson dunks on Alonzo Mourning in the regional finals in 1990.

Gene Banks dunks on Ralph Sampson at Cameron around 1980.

Grayson's diving save against Wisconsin in the national championship game in 2015.

Sean Dockery sinks a half-court shot to beat Va. Tech 77-75 in Cameron, December 4, 2005.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

See this thread for some others, including the huge Hurley 3 against UNLV, JWill miracle minute, GHill impossible dunk, and "the shot" (of course).

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...uke-Basketball

there's that Austin Rivers shot, then, that Austin Rivers shot...and don't forget that Austin Rivers shot....

and if you've got room, that Austin Rivers shot...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    there's that Austin Rivers shot, then, that Austin Rivers shot...and don't forget that Austin Rivers shot...

and if you've got room, that Austin Rivers shot...
    great call...
    Attached Images Attached Images

THE Greatest Play!

As far as I'm concerned, this is THE greatest play in Duke basketball history --

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/video/14738424/
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Also

Battier’s block and backhand pass while going out of bounds.

Duhon’s full court rush to beat UNC 83-81.

Dawkins’ reverse slam against Navy — “abandon ship!!!”

Dawkins’ block of Notre Dame’s Shot by David Rivers (IIRC) to seal the win.

A lot of good ones already mentioned.

Maggette's dunk over Temple to end the half in the 1999 regional final...

Gene Banks from Kenny Dennard on senior night vs. carolina. LGD GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Scheyer's save against Texas in the NCAA tournament. Possibly the SMARTEST big play in Duke history.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, this is THE greatest play in Duke basketball history --

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/video/14738424/
    Ha! My immediate thought as well. Followed by the hirings of Bubas and Foster.

Robby West's late jumper to beat UNC in 1972, the day Duke Indoor Stadium became Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Good luck finding video on that.

As with any of several great Fred Lind stretch plays in '68 against the Heels.

David McClure's buzzer-beater against Clemson in 2007 was pretty neat.

As was Gerald Henderson against Belmont, 2008. Prolonged Duke's season for two days.

Jeff Mullins half court hot against Villanova in the Eastern Regional semi-finals in Reynolds Coliseum. I saw it live but have never seen it on replay.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Robby West's late jumper to beat UNC in 1972, the day Duke Indoor Stadium became Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Good luck finding video on that.

As with any of several great Fred Lind stretch plays in '68 against the Heels.
    Link? 😀

Thanks for all the clips, guys. I'm finding all sorts of insane highlights that I never knew about. The video is more than halfway done. Please keep feeding me clips!

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdevil View Post
    Thanks for all the clips, guys. I'm finding all sorts of insane highlights that I never knew about. The video is more than halfway done. Please keep feeding me clips!
    Please tell me that you are going to include the greatest most famous play in college hoops history.

And yes, there are insane highlights if you can find them. The resolution of the Banks dunk over Ralph is bad, but that's as good a dunk as was ever done by a Duke player or anyone else. And Phil Henderson's jam over Alonzo Mourning was maybe the first high profile big time dunk Duke had. It sent a message.

And for ugly but effective, and timely, there's Battiers back hand tap in late against Zona in the title game.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Please tell me that you are going to include the greatest most famous play in college hoops history.

And yes, there are insane highlights if you can find them. The resolution of the Banks dunk over Ralph is bad, but that's as good a dunk as was ever done by a Duke player or anyone else. And Phil Henderson's jam over Alonzo Mourning was maybe the first high profile big time dunk Duke had. It sent a message.

And for ugly but effective, and timely, there's Battiers back hand tap in late against Zona in the title game.
    Assuming that the first play you are talking about is the Laettner shot, yes, every clip you have listed is already in the video.

Dockery from halfcourt for the win against VT

The Scheyer tip in against Butler was pretty great.