Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    “Money laundering is the act of concealing the transformation of profits from illegal activities and corruption into ostensibly "legitimate" assets. The dilemma of illicit activities is accounting for the origin of the proceeds of such activities without raising the suspicion of law enforcement agencies. Accordingly, considerable time and effort is put into devising strategies which enable the safe use of those proceeds without raising unwanted suspicion. Implementing such strategies is generally called money laundering. After money has been suitably laundered or "cleaned", it can be used in the mainstream economy for accumulation of wealth, such as acquisitions of properties, or otherwise spent.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_laundering

You implied that the Bagleys were involved in concealing illegal or corrupt funds.

You earlier implied that MBIII was only able to graduate and reclassify through bogus grading.

From the messages I have received, I assure you that my read of your post is far from an outlier.

But whatever. Given that none of this has to do with the Maryland situation, not sure why you injected this issue into the thread in the first place.
    The term “laundered” was used to describe a payment method to Jr. to beat NCAA rules. I never implied there was anything criminal or illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    The term “laundered” was used to describe a payment method to Jr. to beat NCAA rules. I never implied there was anything criminal or illegal.
    Breaking the rules, while not necessarily jail-criminal, is illegal. And isn't this (money) why the FBI is involved in the first place? And the original point of this thread, which you have conflated with Bagley.

Quit trying to parse your post. You'd be wise at this point to follow Green Wave Dukie's advice, you might save some face.

I’ll call BS this time. “Laundered” is a loaded word, and I strongly suspect you’re intelligent enough to know that. So is the phrase “questionable grading system,” which you have not yet addressed following Owen Meany’s response.

This seems to be just another round of whataboutism coming from the putrid end of 15-501. It has become The Carolina Way 2.0.
    Last edited by Tripping William; 07-07-2018 at 09:43 PM.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Ok, I’m out of this conversation. I guess I can’t have an opinion on this board without a troll reference.

Mods go ahead and delete that post please before this thread goes downhill. Thx.
    One apology deserves another i think.

I want to apologize if Wheat construed that with my, “bait a hook” comment I was calling him a troll. I was not.

I was simply referring to his fishing prowess along with my expectation that his post contained elements that would probably generate a good number of posts with opposing viewpoints and derail the original discussion. It appears my expectation was on firm ground.

Now didn’t this thread have something to do with Maryland.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post

Thought so too. So many threads wander around.

I want to apologize if Wheat construed that with my, “bait a hook” comment I was calling him a troll. I was not.

I was simply referring to his fishing prowess along with my expectation that his post contained elements that would probably generate a good number of posts with opposing viewpoints and derail the original discussion. It appears my expectation was on firm ground.

I keep getting sucked back in...

Look, I have contributed to the discussion. I’m still waiting to see you contribute to the thread beyond keeping after me.

Maybe you can explain how wrong my point was about Mr. Bagley and explain how he was qualified to coach a newly created, fully funded AAU team and receive some big money if not for the talents of his son and as a way to skirt NCAA rules.

(And I really don’t care, all the NCAA rules like that are bull$&@*, none of these kids are really amateurs any more).

I’m fine responding to counter points, but I’m trying to avoid responding to “he’s a troll” posts every time a point of mine becomes tough to defend for someone, gets ignored, and the thread goes sideways on me.

Mr. Bagley and team played the whole ugly game very well. And so did Duke. No violations, they beat the system.

Md, State, UL, Az...not so much it seems.

That’s all I’ve been saying in this thread.

I keep getting sucked back in...

Look, I have contributed to the discussion. I’m still waiting to see you contribute to the thread beyond keeping after me.

Maybe you can explain how wrong my point was about Mr. Bagley and explain how he was qualified to coach a newly created, fully funded AAU team and receive some big money if not for the talents of his son and as a way to skirt NCAA rules.

(And I really don’t care, all the NCAA rules like that are bull$&@*, none of these kids are really amateurs any more).

I’m fine responding to counter points, but I’m trying to avoid responding to “he’s a troll” posts every time a point of mine becomes tough to defend for someone, gets ignored, and the thread goes sideways on me.

Mr. Bagley and team played the whole ugly game very well. And so did Duke. No violations, they beat the system.

Md, State, UL, Az...not so much it seems.

That’s all I’ve been saying in this thread.
    For me, personally, and I don't know the specifics on the Bagley situation, but for you to create an equivalence between whatever Bagley did and 25 years of academic fraud that uNC perpetrated is absurd and insulting. But that's typical of the uNC argument - everyone's doing something wrong but we were just better at it. If that let's you sleep at night, fine with me, but don't you dare come on this Board and equate uNC's 25 years of turning their institution into an academic fabrication just so they could compete athletically with whatever Bagley and his father did. And then you have the gall to turn around and say, "what did I say that was so wrong?"

My last post in which I suggested you be banned for your comment (so Olympic Fan will feel as though he can return) was deleted. Maybe this one will be too, and maybe I'll get an infraction. Whatever, I've generally appreciated most of your comments over the years, but now you're just showing your true colors. If you really can't see the false equivalence you're creating then nothing you ever write on DBR can be taken seriously.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    For me, personally, and I don't know the specifics on the Bagley situation, but for you to create an equivalence between whatever Bagley did and 25 years of academic fraud that uNC perpetrated is absurd and insulting.
    You are looking way deep into the weeds for something that my post had no intention of implying.

UNC’s rules skirting was deplorable and in no way equivalent to the Bagley point I was making on NCAA rules skirting.

Can I be more clear?
    Last edited by Wheat/"/"/"; 07-08-2018 at 10:46 AM.

I want everyone to know that the moderation team is in the midst of a very serious discussion about what to do about this thread and certain participants in it. Perhaps we should have closed the thread down while we were having that discussion, but we chose not to do that and maybe that was a mistake. I want everyone to know that we are aware of what is being posted and there will be consequences, perhaps very serious ones, for some of the activities that have taken place. We are not at the point we are able to announce those consequences yet. Please be patient, and rest assured that we are going to handle the situation.

For the time being, my suggestion would be to ignore things that you find offensive or angering in this thread. If you cannot ignore them, hit the report post button and let the moderation team know about your complaints. This is the kind of thing where the ods, as a team, need to come to a consensus which is why it is taking a little bit longer than usual.

-Jason “ I would strongly encourage everyone not to speculate about what actions are going to be taken and do not ask us in a public place to make comments about ongoing deliberations “ Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

It often seems to me that the prevailing attitude here is that if Duke and Coach K are involved in arguably questionable recruiting practices that it’s merely creative use of the rules, while if another school and coach do it first it’s sleazy or unethical behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    It often seems to me that the prevailing attitude here is that if Duke and Coach K are involved in arguably questionable recruiting practices that it’s merely creative use of the rules, while if another school and coach do it first it’s sleazy or unethical behavior.
    I wouldn't paint it as starkly as you do, but I would say that posters on this Duke fan site have a strong tendency to favor Duke.

I do not find this surprising.

On topic, a good write-up and overview by SI:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.co...ege-basketball

I wouldn't paint it as starkly as you do, but I would say that posters on this Duke fan site have a strong tendency to favor Duke.

I do not find this surprising.
    There is also evidence that when Duke finds proof of shadiness or severe rule bending, punishments happen. Duke will suspend a student for poor academics or academic malfeasance. Duke will punish a student who breaks the team, school or NCAA rules. The threat of missing games or getting kicked off the team are real threats and while infrequently happen, they do happen. This lends credibility to the idea that Duke does things the right way. They are both monitoring their student-athletes and is willing to punish them when caught. I don't think it's just Duke fans thinking good of Duke.

You can compare and contrast Duke's record in this respect to other nearby schools and look at how often kids miss games because of academics, or how often they'll miss a game or two because of a minor school/NCAA rules violations.
    Last edited by PackMan97; 07-09-2018 at 10:55 AM.

To the community

I want to start by saying that it is unusual for the mod team to talk about an infraction or other punishment. However, in this case we feel it is necessary because so many of you have voiced concerns or opinions. I would ask that you be respectful both of our decision and of the feelings of the individual impacted by this.

Wheat has been given a 7-day time out from the DBR for his actions in this thread. He derailed a conversation about other issues with a controversial post about Marvin Bagley and Duke. He used words like "laundering" and questioned Bagley's academic credentials in ways that had to be answered by Duke fans. It should not surprise him that his post provoked emotions and an angry response from Duke fans. That is the very definition of trolling.

A decision has been made that Wheat's participation in the DBR will be limited going forward. He has been instructed to confine his posts to things that happen on the court. He can talk about players, team performance, coaching decisions, and the such. But, he is no longer allowed to talk about off-the-court issues like the NCAA, college basketball scandals, or recruiting tactics (he may talk about what a recruit may decide and how a recruit might help/hurt a team's prospects). In short, if it happens on the court it is in bounds. Once he start talking about off-court stuff, he is breaking the rules.

I am telling the community about this in the hope the rest of you will not bait Wheat or call him out in conversations in which he is not allowed to participate. The mods have imposed strict rules upon him. We wold ask the rest of you to respect those rules and not try to get him in trouble by baiting him. Rest assured that if you do, the trouble will also fall upon your shoulders.

We thank the community for understanding as we worked through the decision.

-Jason "now, let's get back to talking about stuff that matters... " Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I want to start by saying that it is unusual for the mod team to talk about an infraction or other punishment. However, in this case we feel it is necessary because so many of you have voiced concerns or opinions. I would ask that you be respectful both of our decision and of the feelings of the individual impacted by this.

Wheat has been given a 7-day time out from the DBR for his actions in this thread. He derailed a conversation about other issues with a controversial post about Marvin Bagley and Duke. He used words like "laundering" and questioned Bagley's academic credentials in ways that had to be answered by Duke fans. It should not surprise him that his post provoked emotions and an angry response from Duke fans. That is the very definition of trolling.

A decision has been made that Wheat's participation in the DBR will be limited going forward. He has been instructed to confine his posts to things that happen on the court. He can talk about players, team performance, coaching decisions, and the such. But, he is no longer allowed to talk about off-the-court issues like the NCAA, college basketball scandals, or recruiting tactics (he may talk about what a recruit may decide and how a recruit might help/hurt a team's prospects). In short, if it happens on the court it is in bounds. Once he start talking about off-court stuff, he is breaking the rules.

I am telling the community about this in the hope the rest of you will not bait Wheat or call him out in conversations in which he is not allowed to participate. The mods have imposed strict rules upon him. We wold ask the rest of you to respect those rules and not try to get him in trouble by baiting him. Rest assured that if you do, the trouble will also fall upon your shoulders.

I think this is a fair decision. I have defended Wheat in the past, but his behavior in this thread was clearly in the trolling category. Confining his commentary going forward to what happens on the court allows him to continue contributing in that fashion, which is what presumably drew him to DBR in the first place.

Well done. If I had not sporked you on post #49, I would do so on this post. Good work mods and above all, GoDuke!

Thank you. I'm all for a spirited discussion but this is the *only* place on the internet where I can discuss Duke basketball without defending against a series of baseless accusations about Coach K and his program. As the poet T. Swift said, "Haters gonna hate, hate, hate", but we don't have to let them do it here.

Quote Originally Posted by SlapTheFloor View Post
    Thank you. I'm all for a spirited discussion but this is the *only* place on the internet where I can discuss Duke basketball without defending against a series of baseless accusations about Coach K and his program. As the poet T. Swift said, "Haters gonna hate, hate, hate", but we don't have to let them do it here.
    Mods, I’m pretty sure quoting poet T Swift is an automatic major infraction, right?
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Sure did get quieter around here 👿👿

Wheat has been given a 7-day time out from the DBR for his actions .[/URL]
    i think this is fair. Wheat loves BB, and often has very good observations and comments... BUT...he can NOT come in here with any comments regarding "cheating" or ANY NCAA "rules, investigations, or punishment" topics...EVER...

anytime he does, he will be trounced upon, and the thread will be derailed...so, if he can refrain, good on him...if not, he's got to go...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese