Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am not going to be a party to yet another thread distraction that turns nasty and on me and not the discussion. I’ve offered my opinion, and that’s all it was...

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    I am not going to be a party to yet another thread distraction that turns nasty and on me and not the discussion. I’ve offered my opinion, and that’s all it was...
    No, you stated this as a fact not an opinion:

Duke recently signed a player that was essentially a professional,(Bagley), but since the money for him was laundered through his personal AAU team and paid to Dad by Nike instead of directly to Jr., that didn’t matter to the NCAA, nor did three different high schools with questionable grading systems that allowed him to reclassify matter.
    I call BS.

My opinion, of course.

I, for one, am genuinely interested in your response to Owen Meany’s post, including any dispute on your part of the facts he laid out about MB III.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

In other words, I’m going to write a incendiary post about Duke and then leave when I get called out for my BS.

Getting this thread back on track (sort of)... is there any chance this information possessed by the FBI ever sees the light of day? They apparently are sitting on a gold mine of information regarding college players and assistant coaches taking money, we've seen a few glimpses of the magnitude of what goes on behind the curtain of high school recruiting, yet the NCAA isn't going to do anything until tangible information is made available. The feds have no real incentive to publicize their information, so we're left waiting for more unnamed sources to leak information at some indefinite point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    the NCAA isn't going to do anything
    fify
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I apologize Mods for crossing the line....will be much more self-corrective in the future
    Now....having said that I must have my morning-after constitutional

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    I apologize Mods for crossing the line...will be much more self-corrective in the future
    Now...having said that I must have my morning-after constitutional
    I hope the Mods can't read minds. If they can, I'm in big trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    And surely they lost the right to lecture anyone else anywhere else (particularly on their own message board) about anything their program has done.
    This cannot be emphasized enough. The N&O had the money quote a few years back, in the midst of the investigation furor: "Carolina has lost the right to condescend". And yet, as Wheat continues to show us ... they still try. Such attempts have to be called out each and every time.

I didn’t notice that Wheat was the poster on his original post or I would have skipped it entirely because the back and forth with Wheat bores me. However, I agree wholeheartedly that Bagley’s recruitement made a mockery of both “amateurism “ and “student athletes” in NCAA revenue sports. UNC was actually haughty enough to smash even the mighty facade to spare their clueless ego. Still Duke participated in assisting Bags with skipping a year of HS so they could pick up a stud for 6 mos and he could get to the NBA a year earlier. All within the rules and easily rationalized but still, Duke moved into a neighborhood of glass houses. My advice would be to not start a rock fight with the neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    I hope the Mods can't read minds. If they can, I'm in big trouble.
    I've had it confirmed that you cannot be infracted/holiday-ed/T'ed-up for what you're thinking.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I didn’t notice that Wheat was the poster on his original post or I would have skipped it entirely because the back and forth with Wheat bores me. However, I agree wholeheartedly that Bagley’s recruitement made a mockery of both “amateurism “ and “student athletes” in NCAA revenue sports. UNC was actually haughty enough to smash even the mighty facade to spare their clueless ego. Still Duke participated in assisting Bags with skipping a year of HS so they could pick up a stud for 6 mos and he could get to the NBA a year earlier. All within the rules and easily rationalized but still, Duke moved into a neighborhood of glass houses. My advice would be to not start a rock fight with the neighbors.
    never-argue-with-stupid-people-mark-twain.jpg
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

What's this?

Are you gentlemen examining your own "opinions" again?

It's a beautiful day. Go outside.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    While I welcome the need to remain open to posts from fans of other schools (even that "school"), and I appreciate many of their viewpoints, I don't understand why we have to allow slanderous/libelous comments.

Marvin Bagley III made the All-Atlantic Coast Conference Academic Men’s Basketball team. And this (redacted) is going to come on here and sleight his intelligence? Well, I guess we know they have chutzpah. Not the good kind.
    I’m going to jump back in only to apologize if it was construed that I was challenging Bagley’s intelligence, I was not. I like him as a player and never saw him do anything to make me think he’s not a good kid.

I had read about the online classes being investigated, and some questions regarding multiple transfers...it was all investigated and no issues were found.

My point about Bagley was he was “essentially” a professional player, but there are cracks in the NCAA rules that he, his advisors and family were able to navigate successfully.

As somebody pointed out, UNC and lots of others recruited him as well, and certainly would have taken him too.

It’s such an ugly game in the recruiting, big time college revenue sports world that technicalities count.

... there are cracks in the NCAA rules that he, his advisors and family were able to navigate successfully.
    "Irony" is not a strong enough word to describe this phrase coming from a UNC supporter. A more descriptive term would get wankerized.

but there are cracks in the NCAA rules that he, his advisors and family were able to navigate successfully.
    Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    "Irony" is not a strong enough word to describe this phrase coming from a UNC supporter. A more descriptive term would get wankerized.
    I think the expression you used, Wheat, was that “the money for him was laundered . . . and paid to Dad by Nike instead of directly to Jr.” Tsk tsk. Surely, you understand the inflamatory nature of that verbiage.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I think the expression you used, Wheat, was that “the money for him was laundered through his personal AAU team and paid to Dad by Nike instead of directly to Jr.” Tsk tsk. Surely, you understand the inflamatory nature of that verbiage.
    And that’s inaccurate how?

Make your case that Dad was qualified to receive all that money if his son was not a future NBA player and potential Nike client.

My argument was he was essentially a pro and the money was laundered through an AAU team to Dad...but he beat the system on technicalities.

I’m not claiming Duke had anything to do with it, or did anything wrong.

And that’s inaccurate how?

Make your case that Dad was qualified to receive all that money if his son was not a future NBA player and potential Nike client.

My argument was he was essentially a pro and the money was laundered through an AAU team to Dad...but he beat the system on technicalities.

I’m not claiming Duke had anything to do with it, or did anything wrong.
    “Money laundering is the act of concealing the transformation of profits from illegal activities and corruption into ostensibly "legitimate" assets. The dilemma of illicit activities is accounting for the origin of the proceeds of such activities without raising the suspicion of law enforcement agencies. Accordingly, considerable time and effort is put into devising strategies which enable the safe use of those proceeds without raising unwanted suspicion. Implementing such strategies is generally called money laundering. After money has been suitably laundered or "cleaned", it can be used in the mainstream economy for accumulation of wealth, such as acquisitions of properties, or otherwise spent.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_laundering

You implied that the Bagleys were involved in concealing illegal or corrupt funds.

You earlier implied that MBIII was only able to graduate and reclassify through bogus grading.

From the messages I have received, I assure you that my read of your post is far from an outlier.

But whatever. Given that none of this has to do with the Maryland situation, not sure why you injected this issue into the thread in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

You earlier implied that MBIII was only able to graduate and reclassify through bogus grading.
    In Wheat's defense, UNC fans are substantially more knowledgeable about "bogus grading" than Duke fans!

I’m going to jump back in only to apologize if it was construed that I was challenging Bagley’s intelligence, I was not. I like him as a player and never saw him do anything to make me think he’s not a good kid.
    Not to further derail this thread, but you can apologize for what you said, or you can not apologize for what you said. But what you did is apologize if I (or someone else) construed what you said in a certain way. That is on me (or, us), not you. We are the ones 'construing' your comment, not you.

So feel free to apologize for saying something wrong. But apologizing for how we construed your comment is not an apology, nor is it taking responsibility for what you said. It feels like a somewhat passive way to tell me I misconstrued what you said. Which, if you feel that way, say that and leave the (fake) apology out of it.

(I would have posted this on the OT thread, "Words I Really Dislike", but it just seems to have proper context here)