Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

College basketball scandal expands - UMd subpoenaed

And now the twerps are in the spotlight.

They're an Under Armor team.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    And now the twerps are in the spotlight.

They're an Under Armor team.

-jk
    Ah, yes, getting nailed for payments to a recruit that ultimately went somewhere else. Money quote (literally):

[Silvio] De Sousa [who played 20 games for KU last season] has already been linked to the federal investigation, as an indictment unsealed in April alleged a player whose recruitment timeline matched De Sousa’s only committed to Kansas after the player’s guardian told Adidas officials he needed money to pay back a shoe company that sponsored a rival school. Maryland is sponsored by Under Armour, one of Adidas’s chief rivals in the basketball market, along with Nike.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

they should hire some light blue attorneys....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

So UA paid DeSousa, then Kansas wanted him so Adidas gave him the money to repay UA and then also paid a bigger amount to secure his commitment? And this guy is still eligible?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Ah, yes, getting nailed for payments to a recruit that ultimately went somewhere else. Money quote (literally):
    De Sousa’s physical play was a factor in Kansas beating Duke in the Elite 8. How was he eligible to play?

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    De Sousa’s physical play was a factor in Kansas beating Duke in the Elite 8. How was he eligible to play?
    The same way that Louisville was eligible to beat us in 2013. (Shakes fist).

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    NCAA was headquartered in Kansas for a long time...always treat the Jayhawks with kid gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    they should hire some light blue attorneys...
    No doubt they will. The UNC private attorneys were based in Overland Park, KS, if I recall correctly.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    So UA paid DeSousa, then Kansas wanted him so Adidas gave him the money to repay UA and then also paid a bigger amount to secure his commitment? And this guy is still eligible?
    The NCAA is a joke. That's how he's still eligible. It's not about following the rules or fair play. It's about protecting the biggest names in the business and protecting those with the power. Kansas and the Cheats have the names and the power.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    The NCAA is a joke. That's how he's still eligible. It's not about following the rules or fair play. It's about protecting the biggest names in the business and protecting those with the power. Kansas and the Cheats have the names and the power.
    Well, as I see it, it’s about understanding the rules and using the cracks in the rules to a programs advantage.

Duke recently signed a player that was essentially a professional,(Bagley), but since the money for him was laundered through his personal AAU team and paid to Dad by Nike instead of directly to Jr., that didn’t matter to the NCAA, nor did three different high schools with questionable grading systems that allowed him to reclassify matter...they investigated and found there was no technical rule violation anywhere to apply so he was eligible to play, and Duke was in the clear with Bagley.

The spirit of some “amateur status” rules may have been basically violated, but there was no technical violation.

UNC did shamefully skirt the rules with the weak classes, but there was no technical NCAA violation found to apply to UNC. And that’s why UNC was not punished by the NCAA, just SACs, (as was appropriate).

There was not some power school protection conspiracy theory anywhere.

State, Az, UL etc..and now apparently Md allowed, knew, or were directly involved paying cash to players. A clear violation that the NCAA does prosecute when they have evidence. They are the schools cheating. UNC/Duke are not cheating, just playing the whole ugly game smarter.

And yes, the NCAA is a joke.

My two cents...

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post

UNC did shamefully skirt the rules with the weak classes, but there was no technical NCAA violation found to apply to UNC. And that’s why UNC was not punished by the NCAA, just SACs, (as was appropriate).

My two cents...
    My, you do know how to bait a hook.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    My, you do know how to bait a hook.
    Ok, I’m out of this conversation. I guess I can’t have an opinion on this board without a troll reference.

Mods go ahead and delete that post please before this thread goes downhill. Thx.

Ok, I’m out of this conversation. I guess I can’t have an opinion on this board without a troll reference.

Mods go ahead and delete that post please before this thread goes downhill. Thx.
    You are entitled to your opinion same as everyone else. The Mods will not allow the thread to go downhill so stick around.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    No doubt they will. The UNC private attorneys were based in Overland Park, KS, if I recall correctly.
    they are the "dubs legals".......elite
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

On top of these allegations, former Twerb BB center has been indicted for rape of an intoxicated female. And the hits just keep coming.

Well, as I see it, it’s about understanding the rules and using the cracks in the rules to a programs advantage.
    My game (finance) plays the same, but I don't. It's only a matter of time until most of those who dance on the edge fall. The rest will have to live with themselves.

Well, uh...

I think that's all I'm allowed to say and that doesn't seem quite right.

Duke recently signed a player that was essentially a professional,(Bagley), but since the money for him was laundered through his personal AAU team and paid to Dad by Nike instead of directly to Jr., that didn’t matter to the NCAA, nor did three different high schools with questionable grading systems that allowed him to reclassify matter...they investigated and found there was no technical rule violation anywhere to apply so he was eligible to play, and Duke was in the clear with Bagley.

The spirit of some “amateur status” rules may have been basically violated, but there was no technical violation.

There was not some power school protection conspiracy theory anywhere.

State, Az, UL etc..and now apparently Md allowed, knew, or were directly involved paying cash to players. A clear violation that the NCAA does prosecute when they have evidence. They are the schools cheating. UNC/Duke are not cheating, just playing the whole ugly game smarter.

And yes, the NCAA is a joke.

My two cents...
    FWIW, this is an out and out lie. There were absolutely no questions whatsoever about any school that Bagley attended other than his very brief stay at Hillcrest Prep. Bagley did enroll at Hillcrest, a new school that hoped to join the ranks of basketball factories that have sent kids to UNC and Duke in the past. When the NCAA informed the school that their academic status was in question, Bagley promptly exited the school after only a a few weeks and immediately enrolled in an on-line program that the NCAA recommended and kept current with his studies and classes. He transferred to the very highly regarded Sierra Canyon - despite having to sit out a year of basketball due to his transfer. Although some people may have been surprised that Bagley reclassified, it was an open enough secret that it was even in the newspaper that he was rumored to do so a year before it ever happened. For Bagley, an excellent student, it was not that difficult to get the credits needed in order to do so. Contrary to the ramblings of know-nothings on the internet, Bagley's status was never in doubt - determining whether a student has completed the coursework necessary to reclassify is pretty straightforward.

Yes, Bagley's dad did have a team sponsored by Nike. It was well-known, including by UNC when they were recruiting him. He ran ads for the youth programs and events he was hosting. That is hardly the same as a school doing anything to influence Bagley. You better believe that if Roy whined and b'ed so much that Nike had to pull the "order Restored" shirts after the 2010 championship, you better believe that he wouldn't let Nike influence Bagley to attend Duke. Nike just wants their fingerprints over every top AAU team in America. It's pretty obvious it wasn't a pay off since Bagley signed with Puma.

UNC and its fans can equivocate and dissemble all they want. They cheated. They fired multiple people and others, (from the very top) like Baddour and Thorpe - resigned before they were fired. They had a star player on their championship team admit that he did not attend a single class his final semester as they were working their way to the championship - but he made the Dean's List! It was not just easy classes - there were 100's of fake classes that, according to UNC's own academic counselors "We put them in classes that met degree requirements in which:

• They didn’t go to class

• They didn’t take notes, have to stay awake

• They didn’t have to meet with professors
    • They didn’t have to pay attention or necessarily engage with the material

They didn't say this in dismay that the classes were offered - it was that they would no longer be offered.

It was also the powers that be at UNC that claimed (read - lied) that they didn't mean to admit the classes were fraudulent - it was a misspelling. UNC didn't take merely skirt the edges of propriety. That shamelessly stomped all over them as they denied 100's or thousands of kids a chance at a real education.

UNC skated. The NCAA was unable to prosecute them because the system depended on the schools being policed having a tiny shred of integrity and dignity. Please don't compare this to a third party hiring Bagley's dad. UNC and its fans get to keep its ill-gotten gains. Heck, they even gave out rings for the "ACC Cahmpionship" they weren't allowed to have by the NCAA. But they did expose "The Carolina Way" as the joke it has always been. And surely they lost the right to lecture anyone else anywhere else (particularly on their own message board) about anything their program has done. UNC is the poster boy for academic fraud and corruption - embrace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    UNC skated. The NCAA was unable to prosecute them because the system depended on the schools being policed having a tiny shred of integrity and dignity. Please don't compare this to a third party hiring Bagley's dad. UNC and its fans get to keep its ill-gotten gains. Heck, they even gave out rings for the "ACC Cahmpionship" they weren't allowed to have by the NCAA. But they did expose "The Carolina Way" as the joke it has always been. And surely they lost the right to lecture anyone else anywhere else (particularly on their own message board) about anything their program has done. UNC is the poster boy for academic fraud and corruption - embrace it.
    This whole post is spot on. The conclusion deserves reposting. Sporkz sent.