Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Just once.
    You've heard of the circus dog that jumps off a tower 100 feet high into a pool of water six inches deep.

It's a great trick. But you can only do it once.

Just once.
    Depends on the cliff. 😜😎

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Except that one can stay in the air longer by pulling one's legs up and landing feet and butt at the same time. Long jumpers do a variant of this to get greater distance.
    Except that I'm talking about if somebody wanted to authenticate the claims on, for example, a YouTube video that purports to show somebody reaching 13 feet. He's jumping off a hard wooden floor and he's landing on his feet.

You would obviously have to use the portion of the footage that is in real time/regular speed.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdevil View Post
    Just to put this out there: I’m gonna get a lot of hang time if I jump off a cliff, whether or not I have any vertical.
    Just once.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    You've heard of the circus dog that jumps off a tower 100 feet high into a pool of water six inches deep.

It's a great trick. But you can only do it once.
    It can be done multiple times, as many times as the remains are collected and pushed back off the cliff ...

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    If "Dante Jones" is meant to be "Dahntay Jones," then I don't understand your numbers. Dahntay has always been listed as 6-6; I can't find the 2003 Draft Combine results to see what actual measurements were.
    I have been away for a while and I was wrong about Dahntay Jones. I meant Demarcus Nelson who was 6'2 1/4 when listed at 6'4". The reference I use for player measurements in at https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    It can be done multiple times, as many times as the remains are collected and pushed back off the cliff ...
    One of us doesn't understand the meaning of the word "jumps."

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Here is an article on the subject from ESPN about a decade ago:

http://www.espn.com/blog/truehoop/po...a-jumping-myth

Summary: yeah, it is highly unlikely that anybody has touched the top of the backboard legitimately, let alone taken a quarter off the top, let alone left change.

They asked around amongst the best current leapers. LeBron said he couldn't. Dwight SAID he could, but wouldn't prove it. James White (considered by many to be the best dunker ever, including a between the legs dunk from the free throw line) said he could, and actually tried, but came up a few inches short on his best efforts on two different occasions.

Again, White (who is 6'7" and arguably the greatest dunker ever - seriously, his dunk highlights are silly) couldn't quite do it. Not saying it is impossible. But it's pretty close to impossible. And I'm pretty confident that David Thompson - who was unquestionably a great leaper - didn't do it either.

That's the thing: it's one of the most talked about myths out there, and is a myth that has been around for decades. If a guy could really do it, there would be legitimate video of him doing it by now.

Have you read Foul! The Connie Hawkins Story(by David Wolf)? The subject is discussed, and IIRC Hawkins states he saw a playground "legend" (not John) perform the feat, but I can't verify the height of Bed-Stuy playground backboards in the '60s.
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

I found a couple of web sites that might be helpful.

This link let's you play with the parameters associated with jump height, rim height, etc.
    I clicked on the "example video" to bring up the calculator. I played with this one and can now estimate that I had a vertical of between 30 and 32 inches back in the sixties.

This link contains a discussion of the physics of a vertical jump.
    One of the interesting things here is that the author says that losing 10% of body weight could give an 11% increase in vertical jump (all other things being equal which they never are). There's also an interesting discussion of Hang Time.

Now if one of you folks could change the time units in the links from seconds to minutes we could turn this thread into...

Wait for it...

A MINUTES DISCUSSION.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post

This link let's you play with the parameters associated with jump height, rim height, etc.
    I clicked on the "example video" to bring up the calculator. I played with this one and can now estimate that I had a vertical of between 30 and 32 inches back in the sixties.

One of the interesting things here is that the author says that losing 10% of body weight could give an 11% increase in vertical jump (all other things being equal which they never are). There's also an interesting discussion of Hang Time.

Now if one of you folks could change the time units in the links from seconds to minutes we could turn this thread into...

Wait for it...

A MINUTES DISCUSSION.
    Life is nothing without a good integral from time to time

Wait for it...

A MINUTES DISCUSSION.
    So AOC has a 52" vertical?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Wait for it...

A MINUTES DISCUSSION.
    Mine must've been at least 28 or 29", as I could reverse jam at one point in my life.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Mine must've been at least 28 or 29", as I could reverse jam at one point in my life.
    Either you are much taller than me or your vert was much higher than that. At 5’11” with a ~33-34” vert, I could just barely dunk a volleyball. Couldn’t palm a bball, and couldn’t get quite high enough to dunk with two hands.

I can proudly state that on my best day I did not exceed 7.25".😂

Either you are much taller than me or your vert was much higher than that. At 5’11” with a ~33-34” vert, I could just barely dunk a volleyball. Couldn’t palm a bball, and couldn’t get quite high enough to dunk with two hands.
    At 5'7" I could touch the rim with my second knuckle. I did have a 6' arm span if I didn't trim my nails, but I could only palm a somewhat flat volleyball. I never had an actual measured vertical back in the day and today I'm doing very well if I can get a 34" horizontal.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I can proudly state that on my best day I did not exceed 7.25".😂

You were naturally gifted 😂😂

I'm 6'3". I'd be happy to think I had a higher vertical, but I'm not sure. My arms are pretty long, too, which helps.

I only dunked once in an actual game. I was a trailer on a fast break and my teammate's layup came off the front rim, or at least I thought it did. The ref thought otherwise and called basket interference, so it didn't even count. But it was still really fun, and I know that not everybody can even put themselves in a position to have basket interference called on them, so I was pretty happy about it.

I'm 6'3". I'd be happy to think I had a higher vertical, but I'm not sure. My arms are pretty long, too, which helps.

I only dunked once in an actual game. I was a trailer on a fast break and my teammate's layup came off the front rim, or at least I thought it did. The ref thought otherwise and called basket interference, so it didn't even count. But it was still really fun, and I know that not everybody can even put themselves in a position to have basket interference called on them, so I was pretty happy about it.
    Only thing I ever dunked was a tennis ball. I'm 5'7" with short arms and small hands. I used to be able to jump. Played doubles volleyball in the sand on July 4th and seemed like I only really jumped twice. Time is undefeated (unless perhaps you are Darrell Green) At 51, I'm pretty sure I can't even touch the rim anymore.

I had one of those "how did that happen" moments playing basketball when I was in my 20's also as the trailer on a fast break but as the defender. The layup came off the front rim and I went up for the rebound and basically swiped it off the rim. Maybe there was a large tail wind or something because it was the only time I ever was able to do that. I wasn't even close to being able to dunk it like rsvman did but just to have one play above the rim was so cool.

Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled View Post
    Also, consider that power lifting is used in training for vertical jumps. Here's Olympic lifter Shane Hamman (on the right): Attachment 8491
    He's 5'9" and 360lbs. He can dunk from a standing position...can you? lol.
    Show me the tapes......

and played

I am 6'1" stocking feet and played at about 185#, with a 34" shirt sleeve. I could get over the rim up to my wrist bone but had farmers hands, broad but with short fingers so no palming the ball. Really couldn't dunk even though I could go over the rim. When I played, basketball shoes were canvas and there wasn't much design in them. I thought of myself as a very good athlete but I am in awe of guys today who can literally jump out of the Gym.

When I read about AOC, who is 6'6" I presume in shoes and is long to boot and has gained 13 pounds, he has no problem dunking at all. The miracle is a guy at the same height and weighing 285 that probably can hit his head on the rim. Incredible.

I was able to literally jump out of the gym in my prime, but that was just because I was at the exit. I think I could still do it.