Yay for the Lions!

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/05/world...rnd/index.html

Suspected poachers sneaked onto a South African game reserve to hunt rhinos, but a pride of lions found them instead.

The remains were strewn over an area covered with thick brush and Fox said it was impossible to know how many people were killed.

Investigators did find three pairs of boots and three pairs of gloves.

They also found a high-powered rifle with a silencer, wire cutters and an ax that Fox said would have been used to remove a slain rhino's horns.
    -Jason "this is how we should treat all poachers... just disarm them and set them loose near a pride of lions" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

In before the wave of disappointed replies from Detroit sports fans.

As an aside, a new White Rhino was born at the NC Zoo this week....good week for rhinos, not so much for poachers...

Plus, they're removed from the gene pool.

Favorite quote from the article: "It was a bit of luck for us and not so much luck for them," he said.

Even as a fan of poetic justice and a non-fan of poachers, it still strikes me as a bit unseemly to celebrate these poachers' deaths (even though they are unidentified). Putting aside for a second rudimentary anti-death-penalty arguments -- e.g. maybe if one of the poachers had a "close call" with a lion instead experiencing death by lion, he might've seen the light, chosen a different way to make a living and gone on to become a productive member of society, a second chance that, alas, was denied to him by death -- from a practical standpoint, I don't want to see DBR members celebrating people's deaths (again, even unidentified bad people). It's not a good precedence to set and could impact other discussions down the line.

But maybe I'm just being overly stuffy and/or a jerk here. Wouldn't be the first time :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Even as a fan of poetic justice and a non-fan of poachers, it still strikes me as a bit unseemly to celebrate these poachers' deaths (even though they are unidentified). Putting aside for a second rudimentary anti-death-penalty arguments -- e.g. maybe if one of the poachers had a "close call" with a lion instead experiencing death by lion, he might've seen the light, chosen a different way to make a living and gone on to become a productive member of society, a second chance that, alas, was denied to him by death -- from a practical standpoint, I don't want to see DBR members celebrating people's deaths (again, even unidentified bad people). It's not a good precedence to set and could impact other discussions down the line.

But maybe I'm just being overly stuffy and/or a jerk here. Wouldn't be the first time :-)
    So, I shouldn't have wished for a tactical nuke to hit the Dean Dome during a UNC-Maryland men's basketball matchup?

Maybe. I don't celebrate this but I certainly do NOT mourn the death of poachers. Sometimes you get the rhino and sometimes the lions get you. They knew the risks.

Darken up, Francis.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    In before the wave of disappointed replies from Detroit sports fans.
    That would mostly be me.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Maybe a tad stuffy...but not at all a jerk....and you have a point...

Tangentially connected this thread, for some reason this conversation made me think of this cartoon, which is a longtime favorite of mine.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

What is going to happen next is, those same rangers are going to have to find the lions responsible and take them down. Lions and leopards will continue to kill humans once they have taken human flesh, although they will still take wild game as well. In this respect they differ from the tiger, which will seem to kill and devour only humans once they have developed the habit. The tiger has always been the busiest man eaters of all the big cats, and only the decimation of the species has caused numbers to drop. Even as late as the 1940's, over 1000 people a year were killed by tigers. The tigress of Champawat killed 436 people before being hunted down and killed by noted hunter and conservationist Jim Corbett.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    What is going to happen next is, those same rangers are going to have to find the lions responsible and take them down. Lions and leopards will continue to kill humans once they have taken human flesh, although they will still take wild game as well. In this respect they differ from the tiger, which will seem to kill and devour only humans once they have developed the habit. The tiger has always been the busiest man eaters of all the big cats, and only the decimation of the species has caused numbers to drop. Even as late as the 1940's, over 1000 people a year were killed by tigers. The tigress of Champawat killed 436 people before being hunted down and killed by noted hunter and conservationist Jim Corbett.
    I'm not sure the conservationist movement means the conservation of humans.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I'm not sure the conservationist movement means the conservation of humans.
    That's not what I meant. Corbett, after he retired from hunting, became a champion for protecting India's wildlife. A park is named for him there, and a tiger subspecies as well, the Indo Chinese tiger. (Panthera Tigris Corbetti)

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    That's not what I meant. Corbett, after he retired from hunting, became a champion for protecting India's wildlife. A park is named for him there, and a tiger subspecies as well, the Indo Chinese tiger. (Panthera Tigris Corbetti)
    Just to be clear, I wasn't being critical of you.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Just to be clear, I wasn't being critical of you.
    All good, my friend.