Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Dream cars

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Glasspacks...

People have been doing these things since cars have been around, it isn't unique to this era of teenager.
    Muscle cars sound great with loud mufflers. 4 cylinder Honda’s, nope.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Yeah, that "clean it with a diaper every Saturday morning" thing is at least partly not a joke...
    This is all well in the future (and tbh, only marginally likely at all) for me, but I will absolutely get one someday if a suitable opportunity should ever present itself.
    Agreed re: the C6 too...I'm not in *love* with the front fascia, but overall I think the design has aged well and I definitely wouldn't turn one down.
    Agreed, I strongly prefer the aggressive angles of the C7 versus the soft C6 curves. However, I bought a new C6, for 15% off sticker, in 2009, because I had waited a long time for a new 436 hp stock Vette. In ‘09, IMO, it was a lot of car for the money and I never thought I’d be able to buy a stock 650 hp ZL1 a decade later.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    A client of mine just sold his 2018 Audi R8 V10 and bought a Ferrari 458 Spider. He offered to come by and let me drive it, however, he is too lax on Covid so I didn't want to be in a small car with him. I took a raincheck.
    Did you ever drive his Audi?

Also, whoever buys that particular Civic is very unlikely to stick a fart can on it. The market for those is crazy for clean stock units, not other people's dropped, buzzy boy racers with oversized spoilers. Bring a Trailer in particular is notorious for inflated prices on clean and well-preserved but largely unremarkable autos for sale...an '84 Toyota pickup, for example, sold for over $36 large a few weeks ago. Extremely clean and well-sorted, but seriously?
    Someone at BringATrailer.com made a really good point. He said that this is no different than otherwise unremarkable cars from the 60's that are worth a lot more 30 or 40 years down the road. Typically those cars were initially purchased by younger buyers that wrecked them or drove them to the ground thus reducing those on the road. Also, the cars had options for bigger/better engines. Those "optioned out" models more limited and generally didn't make it to collector status before they were wrecked. So those few remaining became big time items when that generation grew up, had disposable income and wanted something to remind them of their youth.

On a semi-related note, the trading card market is on fire right now. If you have an old shoe box full of cards, you should take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Did you ever drive his Audi?
    I did not. I'm not a fan of the Audi but he and another guy I know that owns one both say they are loads of fun to drive.

My client says that he prefers driving the Ferrari.

Yeah, that "clean it with a diaper every Saturday morning" thing is at least partly not a joke...
    It’s definitely not a joke. I have a friend who owns many modern, high performance cars and it’s risky for him to do anything more than wash them. Most have never been pushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    It’s definitely not a joke. I have a friend who owns many modern, high performance cars and it’s risky for him to do anything more than wash them. Most have never been pushed.
    This makes me sad. Cars are meant to be driven. I recognize that many of them are wildly expensive and that treated properly, they can be legitimate investments in the way that the vast majority of automobiles are not, but I have strong philosophical feelings that cars should not be treated as such, especially the ones that are engineered to perform on the cutting edge and look fantastic doing it. What a waste.

My first dream car was a Mazda RX-4. I really liked the idea of a rotary engine. Sadly, it always remained a dream.

mazda-rx4-coupe-06-72.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I did not. I'm not a fan of the Audi but he and another guy I know that owns one both say they are loads of fun to drive.
    In general, I’m also not an Audi fan but that ride is a definite exception. I’m also not a big Cadillac fan, but love my 2nd generation CTS-V.

Currently watching for the right Lotus Elise as a possible next car.

Not in a rush.

This makes me sad. Cars are meant to be driven. I recognize that many of them are wildly expensive and that treated properly, they can be legitimate investments in the way that the vast majority of automobiles are not, but I have strong philosophical feelings that cars should not be treated as such, especially the ones that are engineered to perform on the cutting edge and look fantastic doing it. What a waste.
    Some people should not be pushing high performance cars. My friend totaled an ‘05 GT.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post

Not in a rush.
    Great toy on curvy roads!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    My dream car is any car that is reliable and doesn't need to be dragged to the shop for repairs. Chose our last car with three criteria: reliability, reliability, and reliability.
    Old t100 toyota last toyota truck built in japan .there are some nice ones out there.
    Im currently hunting one down for my son.
    The toyotas with the 4.7 liter engine are reliable aswell.chamge the timing belt water pump every 100k .we had 437000 miles on our 02 sequia before i foolishly traded it in. Seen a 4.7 with 700k on it first hand tbat engine is a tank.
    Not fuel efficient.
    I have bedn told the straight 6 older landcruisers are high milage brute engines also. 400 to 600k engines with oroper maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post

Not in a rush.
    My cousin purchased one for her husbands birthday.neet little car. Handles very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    But did you consider reliability?

Hard to determine reliability unless you are purchasing an ancient used car with lots of data. That's what I do.
    Not at all.. Consumer Reports does a great job of compiling reliability data from subscribers, and I've found the info to be accurate. Since many car models remain essentially the same for several years (before being refreshed or totally redesigned) I've found it very easy to get excellent data.

Some manufacturers absolutely stand out as making more reliable cars than others. And some care consistently not good.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    My first dream car was a Mazda RX-4. I really liked the idea of a rotary engine. Sadly, it always remained a dream.

mazda-rx4-coupe-06-72.jpg
    I owned a 2004 RX-8 for eight years and loved it. 0-60 times suck, but the car is a dream to drive. The rotary engine revs high, sounds great, and the six-speed manual tranny is designed to excel on tight, curvy roads. The heavy engine sits very low.

Downside? An RX-8 (or any Wankel-engine car) gets gas mileage on par with a 1959 Cadillac. Well, I never got over 18 mph on a trip.

I keep threatening to buy another one.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I owned a 2004 RX-8 for eight years and loved it. 0-60 times suck, but the car is a dream to drive. The rotary engine revs high, sounds great, and the six-speed manual tranny is designed to excel on tight, curvy roads. The heavy engine sits very low.

Downside? An RX-8 (or any Wankel-engine car) gets gas mileage on par with a 1959 Cadillac. Well, I never got over 18 mph on a trip.

I keep threatening to buy another one.
    18 lol.
    While not a small sports car i get 13.9 tundra .small v8
    Id love 18 .i changed tires went from 16
    Only went up to 33's .

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    18 lol.
    While not a small sports car i get 13.9 tundra .small v8
    Id love 18 .i changed tires went from 16
    Only went up to 33's .
    That's bad. Won't try to one-up you, but aggressive driving on a rotary engine makes it seem like David Copperfield is in the gas tank. Wait, I did just try!

Love that this thread showed up today. Jeffery, you're killing me! You have fun cars. I have always loved to drive and drive fast. My current daily driver is a Lexus is350. It's a decent mix of fun, utility and reliability. I have 18 and 16 year old kids so when I was car shopping a few years ago, I had to try an grab something that would be low maintenance for about 8 years or so (which is longer than I normally keep cars...except my Tacoma). I like the Lexus just fine, it's solid but it's a bit too slow for me. I'm tempted to mod it but I don't want to spend the money right now and I don't want to lessen the reliability. So I'm kinda stuck a bit for now...but my kids come first.

I often think my next car will be a Tesla. By the time I get my kids through college it'll be interesting to see what the status of electric cars will be at that time (say 5-6 years from now). I'd love me some ludicrous mode.

Before the Lexus my Tacoma was my daily driver and I had an S2000 for weekends/fun. It was slow too but still fun anyway. As the Tacoma got old (but I still needed it for our charity), I sold the S2k and bought the Lexus. Enjoyed a few test drives in BMW's, and Audi S4, a hybrid Infiniti Q50 (a pleasant surprise but tiny trunk to make room for batteries...have to have room for golf clubs + push cart).

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Love that this thread showed up today. Jeffery, you're killing me! You have fun cars. I have always loved to drive and drive fast. My current daily driver is a Lexus is350.
    Thanks, like you, I love driving and driving fast. I go solo, to the middle of nowhere, and have a blast. If only I had track access. Soon, I’ll put a supercharger on my Vette.

My wife has been driving Lexus RXs for the last 15 years. They’re awesome family cars!