Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Who would you trade straight up for Tatum?

All the recent Lebron and Kawhi talk has got me thinking - if you’re the Celtics, how many players out there would you be willing to trade straight up for Tatum right now? Keep in mind all of the real world factors - player age and health and injury history, contract status, fit with the team, trading to a conference rival, etc. Assume the salary cap is not an issue, i.e. your owner is willing to pay whatever luxury tax comes with this trade. I think there’s maybe 10-15 guys out there. Obviously LeBron, assuming you signed him to a max deal. Kawhi would actually give me some pause just because we don’t know the extent of his injury and he only has a year left. Durant seems like a no-brainer, but again he only has a year left (I think). Guys like Anthony Davis, Paul George, Greek Freak, Russell Westbrook would be in play. Anybody else?

Maybe a bit of Duke bias here, but I’m NT trading Tatum.

If you were going to trade Tatum, this is the time to do it. On the other hand, I am not sure I would be comfortable trading one of the best up and coming young talents in the NBA right now for a player with any risk, especially if they are older (so two strikes against Kawhi).

As Mock GM of the Phoenix Suns, you can have anyone on our roster, but I think I will keep the #1 pick.
    This basically means we would trade Devin Booker or Josh Jackson for Tatum.

Since this is from a Celtic POV you have to ask what does the team need. They seem to be lacking at C and PF so I guess we could say Durrant, Davis, Porzingis, Embiid, and maybe KAT.

Giannis, Porzingis (if he can be proven healthy) and maybe Anthony Davis are the only players... I'm completely confident Tatum is going to be amazing.

Anthony Davis. That’s the only player I’m trading JT0 for.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Anthony Davis. That’s the only player I’m trading JT0 for.
    I came here to post this.

Probably Durant, even with the huge payroll increase. I think Durant will end up as a top 10 player of all time, and he's only 29, so you basically give up what you have to to get him. There's no way that trade would ever work out financially though.

But definitely not KAT, Simmons, Embiid, or Kawhi. Tatum will be the better than all of those guys in 3 years.
    Last edited by kAzE; 06-18-2018 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I came here to post this.

Probably Durant, even with the huge payroll increase. I think Durant will end up as a top 10 player of all time, and he's only 29, so you basically give up what you have to to get him. There's no way that trade would ever work out financially though.

But definitely not KAT, Simmons, Embiid, or Kawhi. Tatum will be the better than all of those guys in 3 years.
    Certainly, the Greek Freak. He might be the best player in the NBA in two years. Maybe sooner.

And trading for Lonzo Ball would give you a bonus dad.

Admit it, wouldn't part of you just love to see LaVar try his shtick on Danny Ainge and Brad Stevens?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Certainly, the Greek Freak. He might be the best player in the NBA in two years. Maybe sooner.

Admit it, wouldn't part of you just love to see LaVar try his shtick on Danny Ainge and Brad Stevens?
    I'd seize to be a Celtics fan if a Ball became part of the organization.

The Greek Freak is a great player, but he's somewhat superfluous with Tatum, Brown, and Hayward on board. If you can give up Brown or Tatum, Rozier, and the Sac pick next year for Davis, you still retain wing talent and you severely upgrade yourself at the 5.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

The Greek Freak is a great player, but he's somewhat superfluous with Tatum, Brown, and Hayward on board. If you can give up Brown or Tatum, Rozier, and the Sac pick next year for Davis, you still retain wing talent and you severely upgrade yourself at the 5.
    Davis is a no-brainer, but Giannis has far more playmaking ability than any of those three, and is an even more versatile defender to boot. But you would definitely be sacrificing 3-point shooting.

Interesting/cool choice of words.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Interesting/cool choice of words.

Christ. Damn you, English language!

Yeah, I admit it. It doesn't make me a good person but it would be very entertaining.

I dunno, I'm not as sold on Giannis yet. Without a serviceable jump shot, he'll never be the best player in the NBA. Kevin Durant is basically a less athletic version of Giannis who also happens to be a better ball handler and an elite shooter. But if Giannis ever does figure out his jumper (even if only a mid range jumper), then all bets are off. His defense and athleticism are on a level that KD can't reach.

But not having a jump shot does hurt. It forces your team to play a certain way, whereas Tatum right now can fit into any lineup in any role and thrive.

I'm not denying that Giannis is a better player right now, but it's not as simple of a no-brainer as trading Tatum for Anthony Davis would be.

I dunno, I'm not as sold on Giannis yet. Without a serviceable jump shot, he'll never be the best player in the NBA. If he does figure out his jumper (even if only a mid range jumper), then all bets are off.

But not having a jump shot does hurt. It forces your team to play a certain way, whereas Tatum right now can fit into any lineup in any role and thrive.

I'm not denying that Giannis is a better player right now, but it's not as simple of a no-brainer as trading Tatum for Anthony Davis would be.
    I think you mean three point shot. The Freak has a decent mid range game. And I think you trade Tatum for the Freak 100 times out of 100 if you can. And Onve again I love Tatum

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    I think you mean three point shot. The Freak has a decent mid range game. And I think you trade Tatum for the Freak 100 times out of 100 if you can. And Onve again I love Tatum
    Again . . . I just don't think the gap is as large as you guys make it out to be. I don't know what this decent mid range game is, because it's not shooting mid range jumpers. His best mid range play is jumping from mid range and dunking it.

Jayson Tatum's age 19 season was WAY better than Giannis' age 19 season. It was also way better than Giannis' age 20 season. Yes, Giannis has some physical attributes that Jayson will never possess, but Jayson is on a rookie contract and I highly doubt Giannis will ever be as good of an offensive threat as Jayson.

Barring injury, Tatum will be a top 10 NBA player. I personally would not give him up for Giannis, but I can also understand the argument for doing that trade.
    Last edited by kAzE; 06-18-2018 at 03:10 PM.

Again . . . I just don't think the gap is as large as you guys make it out to be.

Jayson Tatum's age 19 season was WAY better than Giannis' age 19 season. It was also way better than Giannis' age 20 season. Yes, Giannis has some physical attributes that Jayson will never possess, but Jayson is on a rookie contract and I highly doubt Giannis will ever be as good of an offensive threat as Jayson.

Barring injury, Tatum will be a top 10 NBA player. I personally would not give him up for Giannis, but I can also understand the argument for doing that trade.
    Giannis won’t be as good of an offensive threat??? He averaged 26.9 pts per game last year. And he’s only 23 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Giannis won’t be as good of an offensive threat??? He averaged 26.9 pts per game last year. And he’s only 23 years old.
    But he's about a 32% shooter outside of 10 feet. He's a threat, but not a multifaceted threat like Tatum.

You're judging Tatum based on his age 19 season. When Giannis was 19, he was averaging 6.8 points.

Jayson is going to get much stronger and be able to put up some ridiculous numbers by the time he's 23.

But he's about a 32% shooter outside of 10 feet. He's a threat, but not a multifaceted threat like Tatum.
    Imagine how good he’ll be once he adds that, and I think he will. Shooting is one of the easiest things to learn in basketball. I learned how to shoot, I just can’t be taught to be a 6 11 freak athlete.