Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bagley signs an endorsement deal with Puma

Puma is jumping back into the basketball sneaker war and plans to prominently feature Marvin in their campaign.

“As part of a plan to aggressively relaunch its basketball footwear business, Bagley was expected to be a featured athlete in several upcoming category and brand global initiatives.”

The move is surprising based on Bagley’s previous association with Nike.

“For Bagley, the deal comes as a bit of a surprise in industry circles because of his close association with Nike throughout his high school and collegiate career. Nike funded his father's AAU summer basketball team throughout the younger Bagley's prep career. The team was originally dubbed the "PHX Phamily," and later renamed to simply "NIKE Phamily."

Bagley was a fixture playing against proven pros at the Nike-sponsored Drew League last summer in Los Angeles, before going on to star at Nike-sponsored Duke during his lone college season, where he averaged 21 points and 11 rebounds.

As part of his new endorsement deal with Puma, the brand will also commit to a grassroots infrastructure with the Bagley family that will focus on skill development for a future generation of AAU players.”

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ment-deal-puma

Regardless of his draft position, Bagley's primary source of income for his first several years in the NBA will be from his Puma endorsement.

According to The Athletic, Bagley's five-year contract will be the richest rookie shoe deal since the one that Kevin Durant signed with Nike back in 2007. That went for seven years and $60 million (Durant was offered $70 million from Adidas, but turned it down), so we can expect the numbers on Bagley's deal to be similar.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...with-puma/amp/

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale

The money in shoes has always flabbergasted me...I just can't fathom that there is this kind of money available for endorsements. And yet, there clearly and obviously is.

So what do those top of the line shoes go for now? 150? 200? (not counting Big Baller's 499 dollar debacle). How much of that 150 is pro rata endorsement money I wonder.

But anyway, good for Marvin cashing in on it. Obviously Puma wants to build their brand on him.

Love it!

Puma is a great soccer company. They have fabulous streetwear. With adidas in the toilet image-wise, I'm happy Puma is making a hard push for basketball.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Interesting business move, and notable that Puma chose Bagley to throw all that money at in an attempt to jump start their brand. I’m sure he’ll take some criticism for ditching Nike, but he doesn’t owe them anything. I agree with HereBefore that the insane amounts of money given to athletes by shoe companies has to come from somewhere, which is why I don’t buy Nike or Adidas shoes. I figure why pay $120 for a pair of shoes so $60 can go to some millionaire athlete (which is a number I just totally made up in my head).

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Interesting business move, and notable that Puma chose Bagley to throw all that money at in an attempt to jump start their brand. I’m sure he’ll take some criticism for ditching Nike, but he doesn’t owe them anything. I agree with HereBefore that the insane amounts of money given to athletes by shoe companies has to come from somewhere, which is why I don’t buy Nike or Adidas shoes. I figure why pay $120 for a pair of shoes so $60 can go to some millionaire athlete (which is a number I just totally made up in my head).
    So you'd rather give money to Steph Curry or Stephon Marbury?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Marvin disrespects Nike! (I'm kidding and truly don't care).

Just out of curiosity, do any NBA players have a New Balance deal? I'm a proud wearer of their double-wide shoes.

Well considering where the majority of shoes are manufactured and the insanely low cost it takes to manufacture them it's easy to see why players can get these sick endorsement deals. I wonder if these supposedly socially conscience players care about the people who manufacture these shoes.

Hopefully whatever shoe they custom make for Marvin will allow him to avoid the Duke foot/ankle injury curse.

The shoe industry is dramatically different from what it was like 25 years ago, but this reminds me a bit of when Fila hired Grant Hill to try to increase its presence in basketball. But hopefully this will go better.

I am guessing that if Bagley had not been forced to go to college for a year, he could have signed a shoe contract a year earlier, but his first contract, before ever playing an NBA game, would have been for significantly less money. That is not to say whether the one-and-done rule should stay, go, or be modified, but we're still talking about first world problems, even for the very small subset of players who would be ready to excel in the NBA immediately out of high school.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Just out of curiosity, do any NBA players have a New Balance deal? I'm a proud wearer of their double-wide shoes.
    I'm with you. I only buy New Balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I am guessing that if Bagley had not been forced to go to college for a year, he could have signed a shoe contract a year earlier, but his first contract, before ever playing an NBA game, would have been for significantly less money. That is not to say whether the one-and-done rule should stay, go, or be modified, but we're still talking about first world problems, even for the very small subset of players who would be ready to excel in the NBA immediately out of high school.
    I would imagine having his face plastered all over ESPN for 6 months and being a dominant force from day 1 didn't hurt his visibility and is one reason he is getting the endorsement deal. I could be totally off, but I doubt Doncic gets the same offer.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

I'm going to rotate wearing my Bagley Pumas with my Grant Hill Filas (https://solecollector.com/sd/00371/fila/fila-grant-hill).

How much did Shane get from the Chinese company -- wasn't that for shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I'm with you. I only buy New Balance.
    I'm an Adidas guy. Still waiting on an endorsement offer.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Puma is a great soccer company. They have fabulous streetwear. With adidas in the toilet image-wise, I'm happy Puma is making a hard push for basketball.
    No love for adidas?

One of many shoe brands I like- New Balance and Brooks among them.

Bought a fresh pair of Pumas about 6 years ago.
    Great memories of wearing them as a kid, unfortunately the thick soles were really hard and uncomfortable.

Haven’t looked back since my first pair of Adidas boost. They are incredibly comfortable.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    No love for adidas?

One of many shoe brands I like- New Balance and Brooks among them.

Bought a fresh pair of Pumas about 6 years ago.
    Great memories of wearing them as a kid, unfortunately the thick soles were really hard and uncomfortable.

Haven’t looked back since my first pair of Adidas boost. They are incredibly comfortable.
    Nobody ever scored a hit with the song "My Pumas".
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Nobody ever scored a hit with the song "My Pumas".
    Yea, but nobody ever made a shoe with this name:

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Today's money astounds me. Can PUMA even sell $70 million in shoes? Can anyone? These numbers are like looking at the night sky to me. Anyway, as a proud wearer of the blue suede Puma's of the early 80's, I think it is a pretty cool brand.
    These days, like many of us I wear NB and I find that Asics is the new Puma for me. More power to ya Marvin. Go get it!

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    The money in shoes has always flabbergasted me...I just can't fathom that there is this kind of money available for endorsements. And yet, there clearly and obviously is.

So what do those top of the line shoes go for now? 150? 200? (not counting Big Baller's 499 dollar debacle). How much of that 150 is pro rata endorsement money I wonder.

But anyway, good for Marvin cashing in on it. Obviously Puma wants to build their brand on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Yea, these endorsement deals for certain athletes with Nike, Addidas, etc always amaze me. I believe Roger Federer is being paid $20 million per year by Nike (although there are recent news reports that he is switching to a Japanese company, Uniglow, with a new endorsement deal that is paying him $30 million per year - for 10 years!). I'm sure Nike made a ton of money off of the AirJordan sneakers (even after paying Michael HUGE amounts of money) but do the endorsement deals with the other, "lesser" athletes really result in enough increased sales and profits to pay for the endorsement deals?

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I try NOT to buy any Nike or Addidas products too and I also like NB. They actually manufacture some of their shoes and other products in the USA!

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Well considering where the majority of shoes are manufactured and the insanely low cost it takes to manufacture them it's easy to see why players can get these sick endorsement deals. I wonder if these supposedly socially conscience players care about the people who manufacture these shoes.
    I assume you're joking here? But it certainly bothers me to buy all the cheap clothes and shoes made in countries with terrible labor standards. But it's getting harder and harder to find any clothes or shoes made in the US and those that are made here tend to be VERY expensive.