Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2026 World Cup awarded to US, Mexico, Canada

update: the US, Canada and Mexico just got the 2026 World Cup.

Despite all of the political drama, US, Canada and Mexico are hosting the 2026 World Cup. I am looking forward to attending.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    update: the US, Canada and Mexico just got the 2026 World Cup.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Despite all of the political drama, US, Canada and Mexico are hosting the 2026 World Cup. I am looking forward to attending.
    Let’s hope the USMNT shows up too.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Let’s hope the USMNT shows up too.
    Don't we get in automatically as hosts, though with three hosts I'm not sure that still holds. I will be happy to help smuggle people into and out of Canada, which may be required!

Don't we get in automatically as hosts, though with three hosts I'm not sure that still holds. I will be happy to help smuggle people into and out of Canada, which may be required!
    2026 is a long way off, it will certainly be interesting to see where things stand at that point (the US government, at least, will look quite a bit different in 8 years I would imagine, due at least to term limits if nothing else).

Not sure how that will work here either. But if we can’t qualify on our own, there is a real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Not sure how that will work here either. But if we can’t qualify on our own, there is a real problem.
    I am a little curious as well...I suppose we will find out. In any case, given the expanded field and our weak region, we should absolutely qualify on our own this cycle. We do have a lot of promising young talent coming up. Outside of Tim Howard and Clint Dempsey I won't really miss anybody from the old guard anyway. Somewhat of a distant memory, but I did always really like Carlos Bocanegra as well.

A little disappointed the final will be in New York. Would love to see it in Seattle or Columbus, but I get it.

There is a special FIFA committee who determines the official host nation(s) if multiple countries are awarded a joint bid, like in this case. With the 2026 cup expanded to 48 teams, the host is no longer separate from its region, so if the host comes from EUFA, then EUFA gets one less bid that Cup. With the hosts coming from CONCACAF, our region will get that many fewer spots.

But, the 48 team expansion gives CONCACAF6 spots in the tournament. So, the US and Mexico were pretty much sure-things to qualify anyway. I am betting FIFA grants an automatic to Canada too, meaning the rest of CONCACAF would be vying for 3 spots (from among Costa Rica, Jamaica, Honduras, T&T, Haiti, Panama, and so on).

-Jason "I'm covering this story for CNNi today so I am all about WC2026!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    A little disappointed the final will be in New York. Would love to see it in Seattle or Columbus, but I get it.
    Yup, Met Life Stadium in NJ gets the final. They are still debating from among 23 cities to be rest of the 16 host cities (60 games to be played in US with 10 each in Mexico and Canada). Columbus is not among the potential host cities.

Candidate Host Cities
    23 potential sites with 16 to be picked
    Code:
    Atlanta       	Miami
    Baltimore 	Monterrey
    Boston 		Montréal
    Cincinnati 	Nashville
    Dallas 		New York/New Jersey
    Denver 		Orlando
    Edmonton 	Philadelphia
    Guadalajara	San Francisco Bay Area
    Houston 	Seattle
    Kansas City 	Toronto
    Los Angeles	Washington, DC
    Mexico City
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    There is a special FIFA committee who determines the official host nation(s) if multiple countries are awarded a joint bid, like in this case. With the 2026 cup expanded to 48 teams, the host is no longer separate from its region, so if the host comes from EUFA, then EUFA gets one less bid that Cup. With the hosts coming from CONCACAF, our region will get that many fewer spots.

But, the 48 team expansion gives CONCACAF6 spots in the tournament. So, the US and Mexico were pretty much sure-things to qualify anyway. I am betting FIFA grants an automatic to Canada too, meaning the rest of CONCACAF would be vying for 3 spots (from among Costa Rica, Jamaica, Honduras, T&T, Haiti, Panama, and so on).

-Jason "I'm covering this story for CNNi today so I am all about WC2026!" Evans
    How does that impact our participation in qualifying?

Yup, Met Life Stadium in NJ gets the final. They are still debating from among 23 cities to be rest of the 16 host cities (60 games to be played in US with 10 each in Mexico and Canada). Columbus is not among the potential host cities.

Candidate Host Cities
    23 potential sites with 16 to be picked
    Code:
    Atlanta           Miami
    Baltimore     Monterrey
    Boston         Montréal
    Cincinnati     Nashville
    Dallas         New York/New Jersey
    Denver         Orlando
    Edmonton     Philadelphia
    Guadalajara    San Francisco Bay Area
    Houston     Seattle
    Kansas City     Toronto
    Los Angeles    Washington, DC
    Mexico City
    Just to be clear, that is the proposed location for the final, but the bidding group does not decide the location of any​ games, so that will be up to FIFA as well. I suppose it is likely that they will follow the bid's recommendation to hold the final in NY, but it is not a certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I believe the automatic qualifying hosts would not participate in qualifying. That is what they have done in the past. I am sure they will schedule lots of friendlies for USA, Mexico, and Canada to get prepared for the 2026 cup.

If we auto-qualify then we wouldn't participate in any of the traditional hex games.

Which would mean the USMNT would go some time without playing any games of significance.

I believe the automatic qualifying hosts would not participate in qualifying. That is what they have done in the past. I am sure they will schedule lots of friendlies for USA, Mexico, and Canada to get prepared for the 2026 cup.
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    If we auto-qualify then we wouldn't participate in any of the traditional hex games.

Which would mean the USMNT would go some time without playing any games of significance.
    If all three host nations end up as automatic qualifiers (or even just the US and Mexico) that will be a remarkably lackluster Hex...CONCACAAF is not a deep league (despite the recent struggles from our side).

I know as much about soccer as I do cricket and rugby, but I'd be interested in attending a World Cup game in Nashville. That sounds like a fun trip. I have a cousin that played D1 soccer and is married to a former D1 player as well. I would absolutely love to surprise them with tickets to a World Cup game close by as an anniversary or Christmas present.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I know as much about soccer as I do cricket and rugby, but I'd be interested in attending a World Cup game in Nashville. That sounds like a fun trip. I have a cousin that played D1 soccer and is married to a former D1 player as well. I would absolutely love to surprise them with tickets to a World Cup game close by as an anniversary or Christmas present.
    Nashville music and World Cup! Life is good.😎

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Nashville music and World Cup! Life is good.😎
    I'll wear an America flag scarf and sit with the Outlaws. I'll be that guy to jump on the bandwagon! Basically, I'll use any excuse in the world to get back to Nashville. Supporting Team USA is as good as any.

I just hope our men's squad can get it together in the next 8 years.

If all three host nations end up as automatic qualifiers (or even just the US and Mexico) that will be a remarkably lackluster Hex...CONCACAAF is not a deep league (despite the recent struggles from our side).
    With 6 available spots, there was going to be little drama for the US and Mexico (and Costa Rica) starting in 2026 anyway. While a disaster was possible with just 3 or 4 bids, the notion that the US or Mexico would not be among the top 6 in CONCACAF just isn't really possible.

Will there be a tariff involved?

<ducks, runs>
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.