Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    (lots of good stuff about Zhaire Smith)
    Had both Mikal Bridges and Michael Porter been gone before #10, the mock 76ers were seriously looking at Smith at #10 as a guy who could mess people up defensively and add to the overall athleticism of the roster, with the potential to develop into a legitimate 3-pt shooting threat. I'm high on Smith and think he will be a good fit for a lot of teams. Of course, I also mock drafted Jerryd Bayless over Russell Westbrook a decade ago, so what do I know.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Just so we can keep up... here is where we stand --

First round:
    1 Phoenix - NSDukeFan : DeAndre Ayton - Arizona
    2 Sacramento - gocanes0506 : Marvin Bagley - Duke
    3 Atlanta - JasonEvans : Mo Bamba - Texas
    4 Memphis - brevity : Luka Doncic - Real Madrid
    5 Dallas - jacone21 : Wendell Carter - Duke
    6 Orlando - coldriver10 : Trae Young - Oklahoma
    7 Chicago - Furniture : Jaren Jackson - Michigan State
    8 Cleveland - subzero02 : Collin Sexton - Alabama
    9 New York - ncexnyc : Mikal Bridges - Villanova
    10 Philadelphia - pfrduke : Michael Porter - Missouri
    11 Charlotte - Acymetric : Miles Bridges - Michigan State
    12 LA Clippers - DukieTiger: Lonnie Walker - Miami
    13 LA Clippers - DukieTiger: Robert Williams - Texas A&M
    14 Denver - CDu : Kevin Knox - Kentucky
    15 Washington - reddevil : Shai Gilgeous Alexander - Kentucky
    16 Phoenix - NSDukeFan : Dzanan Musa - Bosnia & Herz.
    17 Milwaukee - kAzE : Zhaire Smith - Texas Tech
    18 San Antonio - Turk (blazindw) : Troy Brown - Oregon
    19 Atlanta - JasonEvans : Aaron Holiday - UCLA
    20 Minnesota - drummerdevil : Gary Trent Jr. - Duke
    21 Utah - tbyers11 : Elie Okobo - France
    22 Chicago - Furniture : Grayson Allen - Duke
    23 Indiana - luburch : Jerome Robinson - Boston College
    24 Portland - FerryFor50 : Chandler Hutchison - Boise St.
    25 LA Lakers - JNort
    26 Philadelphia - pfrduke
    27 Boston - flyingdutchdevil
    28 Golden St. - awhom111
    29 Brooklyn – Billy Dat
    30 Atlanta - JasonEvans

Second round:
    31 Phoenix - NSDukeFan
    32 Memphis - brevity
    33 Dallas - jacone21
    34 Atlanta - JasonEvans
    35 Orlando - coldriver10
    36 New York - ncexnyc
    37 Sacramento - gocanes0506
    38 Philadelphia - pfrduke
    39 Philadelphia - pfrduke
    40 Brooklyn – Billy Dat
    41 Orlando - coldriver10
    42 Detroit - BD80
    43 Denver - CDu
    44 Washington - reddevil
    45 Brooklyn – Billy Dat
    46 Houston - DukeTrinity11
    47 LA Lakers - JNort
    48 Minnesota - drummerdevil
    49 San Antonio - Turk
    50 Indiana - luburch
    51 New Orleans - theschwartz
    52 Utah - tbyers11
    53 Oklahoma Cty - johnb
    54 Dallas - jacone21
    55 Charlotte - Acymetric
    56 Philadelphia - pfrduke
    57 Oklahoma Cty - johnb
    58 Denver - CDu
    59 Phoenix - NSDukeFan
    60 Philadelphia - pfrduke
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 06-13-2018 at 08:25 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

My lottery big board was this:

1. Bagley
    2. Ayton
    3. Bamba
    4. Young
    5. Doncic
    6. Porter
    7. Carter
    8. JJJ
    9. Bridges... I mean, M. Bridges... I mean Mi. Bridges... I mean Mik. Bridges (the one from Villanova)
    10. SGA
    11. Sexton
    12. Bridges... I mean, M. Bridges... I mean Mi. Bridges... I mean Mil. Bridges (the one from Mich St.)
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I had Ayton, Doncic and Bagley as the three I considered for the top pick. I’m not sure about Jackson and would have preferred Bamba, Sexton, Young and Carter over him. Porter and the Bridge brothers 😀next. I saw that Smith was the guy projected at Phoenix ‘s second pick, but was higher on Robert Williams, the UK guys. I couldn’t convince myself to take a guy who barely scored in double digits, since I didn’t know enough about him. Of course, there could be a reason why I am a Mock GM and not a real one as I also would have thought Bayless would have been a fine pick, as well as Scottie Reynolds and Kyle Singler was a sure thing to me.

Stepping in for Turk because JasonEvans is next up and he can't do both...

San Antonio Spurs select Troy Brown, 6'7" SF, Oregon (FR)

San Antonio probably wanted Zhaire Smith if he was around, but they will settle for Brown. Brown has the ability to pass, defend and he has a jack-of-all-trades type of skill set. He can do anything on the court pretty well, particularly in areas like court awareness and just overall baskeball acumen. This is something that San Antonio usually looks for. His scoring can improve, but that is something that can always be done under Coach Pop. He makes sense for this franchise, and he has tremendous upside that the Spurs will be looking for as they try to fully replace the older core of the team.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

With the 19th pick in the DBR Mock Draft, the Atlanta Hawks select:

Aaron Holiday, PG , UCLA.

I can't even tell you how close I came to picking Grayson Allen, but I ended up going with my head, not my heart.

Aaron Holliday improved tremendously this year and showed legit NBA chops on D and from 3 with Lonzo gone. He is yet another freakishly long dude (6-8 wingspan) which makes up for his lack of NBA size (he's only 6-1). He is a dynamic shooter, shooting better than 41% from 3 in all three of his seasons in school and over 82% from the FT line this season. I love guys who keep on improving and you don't do much better at that than Holiday going from 12 ppg as a soph to 20 ppg as a junior. He is already a NBA ready defender and I really value that aspect of the game.

I will cry a few tears for passing on Allen, but the Hawks need some backcourt help and if Aaron Holiday turns out to be almost as good as his big brother, Jrue, then I got a huge steal!

-Jason "I would have taken Troy Brown if Donald had not selected him... grrr" EVans

P.S. - I refused to be wowed by everyone who says DiVincenzo should go in the top 20. Dude wasn't even a starter. One good NCAA tournament run will not sway me!!

With the 19th pick...

The Minnesota TWolves select Gary Trent Jr., SG, Duke.

Drummerdevil PMd me this pick. I hope he will post an explanation a bit later.

Thanks, Blazindw. I was having fun with my writeup trying to meet pfrduke's high bar but work got in the way. You called it right and thanks for stepping in.

San Antonio Spurs select Troy Brown, 6'7" SF, Oregon (FR)

We've never drafted in the Top 20 with our own pick since 1997, when we got Tim B. Dunkin. (not counting trading up to #15 to get Kawhi). WE DON"T LIKE IT AND DON’T PLAN ON DOING IT AGAIN!

Last season was a nightmare for the Spurs, both on and off the court, with enough drama, gossip, and controversy for a reality show. Starting from the top, majority owners Peter Holt and Julianna Hawn Holt filed for divorce after more than 30 years of marriage. In April during the playoffs, Gregg Popovich's wife Erin died after a long illness. On the court, the season was marred by injuries and controversy surrounding Kawhi Leonard and Tony Parker, snapping our historic streak of 18 seasons with 50+ wins. Our 21st straight playoff appearance was no consolation.

A less disciplined franchise with a weak culture and no class could disintegrate into rudderless, backbiting, sloppy, tanking mess (cough, Lakers, cough), but not us. The Holts have filed a marital property agreement that we expect will keep the divorce private and low-key. The Spurs are safe in San Antonio, and our front office will be doing business as usual.

Secondly, Gregg Popovich is not retiring anytime soon, not now, and not like this. While we continue to grieve with Pop, he has been active in our preparations for the draft, and he is committed to coaching Team USA in 2020. He's all-in, with the energy of a man half his age.

Thirdly, we're signing Kawhi Leonard to his max $219 mill extension. Book it. Sometimes we suspect his moron agent has his own agenda, and that his overprotective uncle thinks he knows more than he actually does. But Kawhi is loyal and so are we, and no one wants a repeat of last season, so we're mending fences and figuring out a professional working relationship with Kawhi's "group" (as Pop likes to call them) as we hammer out the details, and that includes the medical folks too. Word is that Kawhi is almost 100%, and Pop will sit down with him this month. Done, done, and done.

Ok, let's look at the roster and hit the court. (Finally!)

We have only four Spurs with contracts through 2019-20 or beyond: LaMarcus Aldridge, Kawhi, Patty Mills, and Pau Gasol, not counting team options on rookie deals for guards Dejounte Murray and Derrick White. For 2018-19, Rudy Gay, Dancin Danny Green, and backup C Joffrey Lauvergne hold player options. Kyle Anderson, Bryn Forbes, and Davis Bertans are RFA's coming off rookie deals.

Now let's talk about our legends. Manu GINOBILIIIIII!!!! has one year at $2.5 mill on his contract. Last year sure felt like a retirement tour, and the man is going to turn 41 in July; we're not expecting him back. The harder conversation is with unrestricted free agent Tony Parker (and the giant fork sticking out of his back, to steal another Bill Simmons phrase). We want Tony to come back for the veteran minimum and help mentor our young guards Murray and White. He deserves his own retirement tour as well, but Parker still thinks he can play and will test the free agent market.

Our bigs are set, with LMA, Kawhi, Pao, and Bertans as backup. At PG, we are merely decent with Mills and Murray, and maybe Parker, but that's OK for this season. Our biggest need is for an athletic wing and perimeter scoring. We feel like we need more options than Rudy Gay and Dancin Danny.

Troy Brown is the best available athlete at this point. We like his length at 6'6" and 6'10" wingspan. He's versatile, with playmaking and passing skills, good defensive instincts, and a high basketball IQ, in other words, a perfect fit for our culture and how we play. Our vision is to make him a Swiss Army knife glue guy. We are not impressed with his 29% 3PT FG percentage at Oregon, but he shoots 74% from the line, so we think our shooting guru Chip Engelland can improve his 3PT. If that happens, then Brown could grow into our version of Andre Iguodala.
    "Quality is not an option!"

With the 21st pick in the 2018 NBA Draft the Utah Jazz select...

Elie Okobo, 6'2" PG/SG, Elan Bearnais Pau-Lacq-Orthez, LNB Pro A (France)

While Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell are cornerstones, the Jazz have a lot of other spots to fill long term. Besides those 2 only Joe Ingles, Jae Crowder, Royce O' Neale are officially under contract (team option for 2017 1st round pick Tony Bradley) beyond 2018-19. However, with Derrick Favors a high flight risk to leave via unrestricted free agency and the Ricky Rubio experiment not paying huge dividends we see PF and PG as the biggest immediate needs.

We decided to go the PG route with French combo guard Elie Okobo. He is rising quickly up many draft boards as a 6'2" guard who can score and distribute. He is 20 years old and scouts say he needs to work on his defense but his 6'8" wingspan should help in that regard and will make Jay Bilas swoon. He gets bonus points for scoring 44 points in a playoff game against LNB Pro A defensive player of the year Aaron Craft (yes, that Aaron Craft)

We think Okobo has a greater upside than other PGs in this range (glad the Hawks took Holiday). He should make a nice backcourt tandem with Donovan Mitchell for many years to come.
    Last edited by tbyers11; 06-13-2018 at 01:02 PM.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Furniture is on the clock, but in case the deadline passes, keep this in mind:

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    With the seventh pick of the 2018 NBA draft the Chicago bulls select Jaren Jackson.
    The most important needs in the draft for the Bulls are at small forward and center. Jaren Jackson being still available is too good to pass on. We will use our 22nd pick to go after a small forward.
    Hopefully Grayson Allen is still available.

With the 22nd pick of the 2018 NBA Draft the Chicago Bulls refuse to trip on this and select Grayson Allen from Duke University.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

With the 23rd pick in the NBA Draft the Indiana Pacers select Jerome Robinson from Boston College

The Pacers had a surprisingly strong 2017-18 campaign, finishing 5th in the Eastern Conference and taking the Cavaliers to 7 games in the first round of the playoffs. With a few key additions and quality draft selections, the Pacers can hang around the 3-5 seed in the East for years to come.

Jerome is one of the best shooters in the draft, connecting on 41% of his 3 point attempts while in college. His ability to play on and off the ball makes him an ideal partner for Victor Oladipo. Robinson will be able to provide an instant lift to the offense and has the athleticism to be a solid defender.

FWIW here was how I rated the lottery:
    Doncic
    JJJ
    Bagley
    Carter
    Porter
    Ayton
    Bamba
    Mikal Bridges
    Walker
    Sexton
    SGA
    Young
    Miles Bridges
    Brown Jr

Slowly but surely several of the players I was hoping would slip to the 76ers at 26 are coming off the board...
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The Minnesota TWolves select Gary Trent Jr., SG, Duke.

Drummerdevil PMd me this pick. I hope he will post an explanation a bit later.
    Explanation for this pick:

basically, the wolves are a solid young team who are looking to add pieces around the edges to contend. With that said, the biggest issue with our current roster is that our only real backup shooting guard is Jamal Crawford - who is very inefficient by almost any advanced metric. The problem this season was that the wolves had so little shooting on their roster that Crawford had to play. We are now prepared to give Gary Trent Jr. the minutes of Jamal Crawford, knowing that he is more than fifteen years younger and cannot be a more inefficient player. Trent was one of if not the best shooters left on the board, and the mock wolves are excited to see how he can stretch the floor playing the backup 2 for us next season.

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdevil View Post
    Explanation for this pick:

basically, the wolves are a solid young team who are looking to add pieces around the edges to contend. With that said, the biggest issue with our current roster is that our only real backup shooting guard is Jamal Crawford - who is very inefficient by almost any advanced metric. The problem this season was that the wolves had so little shooting on their roster that Crawford had to play. We are now prepared to give Gary Trent Jr. the minutes of Jamal Crawford, knowing that he is more than fifteen years younger and cannot be a more inefficient player. Trent was one of if not the best shooters left on the board, and the mock wolves are excited to see how he can stretch the floor playing the backup 2 for us next season.
    Plus, Trent comes home and gets to play with his former Apple Valley teammate, Tyus Jones!

With the 24th pick in the DBR Mock Draft...

FerryFor50 told me he wants to pick...

Chandler Hutchison, SG/SF, Boise St

I am sure he will post an explanation.

FDD. Fully expect you to pick Tricky.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

With the 25th pick in the NBA draft the LA Lakers select...

Mitchell Robinson of WKU?

This is purely a 100% risk and there's no beating around the bush about it and If you don't remeber who he is you're forgiven. Mitchell was ranked 6th (RSCI) overall (3rd center) ahead of guys like Colin Sexton, Gary Trent, Trae Young and several other names we are more familiar with and was supposed to play at WKU this past season. So what happened?

He originally signed with WKU despite being courted by some of the top programs in the country, after arriving to school early he abruptly left without giving reason and went home. While he was away he visited other schools but was told he might not be given his release to transfer since he already attended basketball activities at WKU so he decided to sit out and prepare for the draft. The whole process raised many red flags about his character and commitment.

So aside from the potential character issues what does he look and project like going forward? Standing at 7'1" and 235lbs with a 7'4" wingspan and 9'2" standing reach he is a fairly long guy with broad shoulders to go on that frame which suggests he could pack on some muscle. He is reportedly athletic with soft hands and a good shooting touch to go along with insane blocking and rebounding abilities. I think his floor is Javle McGee with a likely projection of Tyson Chandler, if his shooting ability continues on into the NBA his ceiling is the roof . So why so low in the draft?

Teams question his character from how he handled his recruiting to withdrawing from the combine and canceling his interviews. His on court weaknesses are mostly around his lack of basketball IQ. To expand on this he gets lost in rotations, doesn't box out and is foul prone. Basketball IQ can be remedied with lots of film study, practice and game time so these hopefully shouldn't be an issue.

A few tidbits courtesy of Draft express:

-Averaged 20 rebounds per-40 minutes in the EYBL, best in the competition's history.

-8 offensive rebounds per-40 also #1 in EYBL history.

-Quick off his feet as a shot blocker. Led the EYBL in both blocks per-game and per-40. Second best shot-blocker in EYBL history after Nerlens Noel.

- Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...obinson-84500/ ©DraftExpress
    Last edited by JNort; 06-14-2018 at 03:30 AM.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Why Portland chose a lesser known talent out of Boise St

Portland, coming off one of its best seasons in recent years before being swept out of the first round by New Orleans, is looking for someone who can help take the scoring load off of CJ McCollum and Damian Lillard, but that also can rebound and defend. Hutchison fits that description, with his 6'7" frame, 7'1" wingspan and 20ppg, 7.7 rpg averages out of Boise St on 36% shooting from 3. He compares favorably to one of last year's surprising rookies, Kyle Kuzma.

Hutchison has a plus motor, as well, and will work hard every night for a Portland team that is on the cusp of being a Western Conference contender.

Will post my pick by noon eastern. Asking the boards forbearance for slight delay while I wrangle two toddlers out of the house and off to preschool.