Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    I'm not advocating for a major that turns into a birdie fest but when 99% of the field is over par and the guys are just praying they can somehow manage to grind out a par, to me it makes for boring viewing and takes the entertainment value of it.
    Well, if the goal is to have par or -1 or so being the winning score for the tournament, then the goal is to have all but one or two players over par.

I am philosophically fine with that. But it should feel fair. The 2008 Open at Torrey Pines was perfect for the US Open in my mind, although I do not recall where Tiger and Rocco were at the end of the day on Sunday.

I haven’t watched any of the Open this year yet, so do not have an opinion on this year’s course.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    The 2008 Open at Torrey Pines was perfect for the US Open in my mind, although I do not recall where Tiger and Rocco were at the end of the day on Sunday.
    Tied at -1 283 after Sunday's final round.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

One of the announcers for the featured group said that he thought the course might get easier this afternoon because the rain yesterday softened the fairways. As the fairways dry, they can play the course more like The Open than the US Open.
    Last edited by nmduke2001; 06-14-2018 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    One of the announcers for the featured group said that he thought the course might get easier this afternoon because the rain yesterday softened the fairways. As the fairways dry, they can play the course more like The Open than the US Open.
    Certainly playing like that at the moment. Leader at -3, several guys in the black at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I agree. To me, it doesn't matter if they are fighting to win at +1 or -10. Drama and pressure are entertaining, regardless of the score.
    True, but there's no doubt that on a more punitive course, the tension is amped up...the pressure is amped up....

Woods has settled down after a rough first two holes. 1 under since, and has had several near-miss birdie putts. Only 5 back of Henley, Johnson, and Dufner right now. Oh, how he wants that 2nd shot on hole 1 back right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Tied at -1 283 after Sunday's final round.
    There you go. Hit a 10 ft birdie putt to go under par on 18 on Sunday to force a playoff. That is excellent drama. I recall it was wire to wire between Tiger and Rocco that day.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    more like The Open than the US Open.
    meh

Justin Thomas hurting on 10

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Sheesh...my team is dying. The lowest score of any of them (so far) is 3 over.

Scores so far, some still in progress.

Spieth +8
    Simpson +7
    Mickelson +7
    Stenson +3
    Kuchar +4
    Fitzpatrick +3
    Woods +3
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The Cut

As an early note for tomorrow, especially given how poorly many of the top players have started, the US Open cut line is Top 60 and ties. That's it; there's no "within 10 shots of the lead" rule.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

As an early note for tomorrow, especially given how poorly many of the top players have started, the US Open cut line is Top 60 and ties. That's it; there's no "within 10 shots of the lead" rule.
    Which after Day 1 would be +5, so Simpson, Mickelson, DeChambeau, McIlroy, Tiger and Spieth, among others, all have some climbing to do tomorrow if they want to make the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Sheesh...my team is dying. The lowest score of any of them (so far) is 3 over.

Scores so far, some still in progress.

Spieth +8
    Simpson +7
    Mickelson +7
    Stenson +3
    Kuchar +4
    Fitzpatrick +3
    Woods +3
    Everybody's team is dying. Only 19 players in the field shot better than +3.

Dustin Johnson (-1), Justin Rose (+1), Henrik Stenson (+1) were the only popular picks in our pool to beat +3

Xander Schauffele (+2), Jason Dufner (E), Brandt Snedeker (+2) were also picked in the pool
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Well, I don’t totally hate my picks so far. DJ proving worth the investment so far. One of my three penny stocks (Dufner) just one back. Another of my penny stocks (Zach Johnson) shot reasonably well and is in contention. Woods fell apart on the back nine, but he was a penny stock so whatever. My other big money pick (Spieth) matched Woods’ futility, which hurts. My middle-money K guys (Koepka and Kuchar) were middling and still have a good shot to play the weekend at least. So, all in all, I can’t complain. Hopefully Spieth and Woods can find their short games and make the cut.

Glad I didn't get in the competition. I was going to have Scott Gregory (+22) as my sleeper pick.

I shouldn't make fun, I would be very happy shooting a 92...at my local muni. Which is why (among many reasons) I'm not a pro golfer.

I think that's a bit strict. I like the 10 stroke rule. A guy who's ten back could potentially get out early and post something like a 68 - which could end up putting that guy into real contention. But alas, the USGA didn't ask for my input...

I've got three in the top 10 (Dufner, Rose, Stenson) with Snedeker at 18, so my team looks pretty fair so far. I still wouldn't put real money on 'em yet, though.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Cut projected at 6 over.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Cut projected at 6 over.
    I think it will move to 7 or 8.

Tiger started on ten with a birdie... he then gave it back on 14 but birdied 16. Aside from that it has been pars and he sits at 7-over through 8, which ain't bad on this course. But, he just dumped his drive on 18 into the rough and then put his approach into a bunker. Seems like another bogey coming.

I agree with mr. synellinden that the cut won't stay at plus 6. This course is too hard (though it seems to be playing a bit easier early on today).

-Jason "DJ showing why he is #1 in the world... 2 under on his first 8 today and 3-under on the tourney. He's gotta be a pretty big favorite at the moment" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Put a fork in Tiger.