Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 149
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem

    U.S. Open Golf (2018)

    The U.S. Open returns to Shinnecock Hills in the Hamptons this week. Brooks Koepka was last year's winner at Erin Hills, but has been battling back from injury for much of this PGA Tour season. Dustin Johnson was the 2016 winner, at Oakmont, and just reclaimed the #1 spot in the OWGR with a runaway win this past weekend in Memphis (including holing-out a wedge on the final hole). Jordan Spieth lurks as the 2015 winner, at Chambers Bay, and always seems to have a flair for the big moment.

    Past winners at Shinnecock including Retief Goosen (2004), Corey Pavin (1995), and Raymond Floyd (1986). That history, to me, suggests a premium on ball-striking rather than overall bombing it off the tee.

    Who do you like? (And are we doing the same contest as was done for this year's Masters?)
    Last edited by Tripping William; 06-11-2018 at 09:25 AM.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    The U.S. Open returns to Shinnecock Hills in the Hamptons this week. Brooks Koepka was last year's winner at Erin Hills, but has been battling back from injury for much of this PGA Tour season. Dustin Johnson was the 2016 winner, at Oakmont, and just reclaimed the #1 spot in the OWGR with a runaway win this past weekend in Memphis (including holing-out a wedge on the final hole). Jordan Spieth lurks as the 2015 winner, at Chambers Bay, and always seems to have a flair for the big moment.

    Past winners at Shinnecock including Retief Goosen (2004), Corey Pavin (1995), and Raymond Floyd (1986). That history, to me, suggests a premium on ball-striking rather than overall bombing it off the tee.

    Who do you like? (And are we doing the same contest as was done for this year's Masters?)
    I'm very excited for the Open this year and happy that it's back at a "traditional" U.S. Open course. I don't mind the effort to expand the roster of courses, including using public courses like Bethpage Black, but I like it better when they play at courses that have U.S. Open history/tradition. Also, Shinnecock is among the top 5 or 10 best courses in the world and is just a beautiful piece of property.

    This is a course that puts a premium on putting and knowing where to miss and where not to - and I like that aspect too. It's a little like Augusta that way. Definitely more precision golf. The distance element will be important however because - just like at the Masters - the closer you are, the easier it is to hit the right spot on the green. Goosen won in 2004 because he made every putt inside 10 feet on Sunday while everyone else struggled with the lightning fast, burned out greens. The USGA is not going to make that mistake again. So the greens will be fast but not unfairly so. I think Shinnecock favors players who have experience with the course.

    I have a gut feeling that Phil is going to make a serious run at the career grand slam. I feel like the contenders will be mix of the top players (Rory, Thomas, DJ, Rose Fowler, Spieth - but only if he has fixed his short putting issues) and experienced top 30 guys like Mickelson, Stenson, Kuchar and maybe Webb Simpson. Maybe Tiger? Again, if he can make 90% of the putts inside 8 feet, then yes I think he can contend too. But he has been inconsistent on the short ones like Spieth and that can't happen this week.

    I'm happy to organize the same pool we did for the Masters and can re-post the rules if enough people are interested.
    Singler is IRON

    I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I'm very excited for the Open this year and happy that it's back at a "traditional" U.S. Open course. I don't mind the effort to expand the roster of courses, including using public courses like Bethpage Black, but I like it better when they play at courses that have U.S. Open history/tradition. Also, Shinnecock is among the top 5 or 10 best courses in the world and is just a beautiful piece of property.

    This is a course that puts a premium on putting and knowing where to miss and where not to - and I like that aspect too. It's a little like Augusta that way. Definitely more precision golf. The distance element will be important however because - just like at the Masters - the closer you are, the easier it is to hit the right spot on the green. Goosen won in 2004 because he made every putt inside 10 feet on Sunday while everyone else struggled with the lightning fast, burned out greens. The USGA is not going to make that mistake again. So the greens will be fast but not unfairly so. I think Shinnecock favors players who have experience with the course.

    I have a gut feeling that Phil is going to make a serious run at the career grand slam. I feel like the contenders will be mix of the top players (Rory, Thomas, DJ, Rose Fowler, Spieth - but only if he has fixed his short putting issues) and experienced top 30 guys like Mickelson, Stenson, Kuchar and maybe Webb Simpson. Maybe Tiger? Again, if he can make 90% of the putts inside 8 feet, then yes I think he can contend too. But he has been inconsistent on the short ones like Spieth and that can't happen this week.

    I'm happy to organize the same pool we did for the Masters and can re-post the rules if enough people are interested.
    Iím interested! I suggest that we avoid the urge to try to tweak the rules. I would like to play a second time under the same rules to try to learn a bit from the last one.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Iím interested! I suggest that we avoid the urge to try to tweak the rules. I would like to play a second time under the same rules to try to learn a bit from the last one.
    Ditto here.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York City

    US Open Pool Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Ditto here.
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Iím interested! I suggest that we avoid the urge to try to tweak the rules. I would like to play a second time under the same rules to try to learn a bit from the last one.
    Here are the rules we used last time:

    1. You have thirty OWGR "points" to spend on picking a team.
    2. You can pick any player in the field - it's not a draft, so in theory you could have the exact same team as someone else.
    3. You can pick up to 10 players, not more.
    4. Each player's "cost" is their OWGR points total rounded down. So, Dustin Johnson "costs" 9; Justin Thomas - 8; Mickelson and Bubba Watson cost 4; etc.
    5. Anyone whose OWGR points is less than 2, costs 2. In other words, no player in the field costs less than 2. Tiger costs 2.
    6. Your final score is based on a total of the money won by all the players on your team. If one of your players misses the cut, you get 0 for that player.
    7. As a tiebreaker, you also pick the winning score relative to par (e.g., -12).


    Let's make Wednesday at 11:00 p.m. ET the deadline for submitting a team. I'm happy to compile the teams and calculate the scores at the end of the rounds and tournament as I did last time. But if anyone is savvy enough to do one of those fancy charts that I see on the boards for things like the minutes contest - have at it.
    Singler is IRON

    I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Here are the rules we used last time:

    1. You have thirty OWGR "points" to spend on picking a team.
    2. You can pick any player in the field - it's not a draft, so in theory you could have the exact same team as someone else.
    3. You can pick up to 10 players, not more.
    4. Each player's "cost" is their OWGR points total rounded down. So, Dustin Johnson "costs" 9; Justin Thomas - 8; Mickelson and Bubba Watson cost 4; etc.
    5. Anyone whose OWGR points is less than 2, costs 2. In other words, no player in the field costs less than 2. Tiger costs 2.
    6. Your final score is based on a total of the money won by all the players on your team. If one of your players misses the cut, you get 0 for that player.
    7. As a tiebreaker, you also pick the winning score relative to par (e.g., -12).


    Let's make Wednesday at 11:00 p.m. ET the deadline for submitting a team. I'm happy to compile the teams and calculate the scores at the end of the rounds and tournament as I did last time. But if anyone is savvy enough to do one of those fancy charts that I see on the boards for things like the minutes contest - have at it.
    Count me in. I just sent my picks through PM.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

  7. #7
    McIlroy (7)
    Fowler (6)
    Stenson (4)
    Simpson (4)
    DeChambeau (4)
    Kuchar (3)
    Walker (2)

    Winner at -4.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Can't wait for the Lime Green Pants Brigade to begin whining about the course being too long or too hard or too soft or too narrow or too hilly or too fast. Shouldn't take long.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    No idea what I'm doing, but I'll take:

    D. Johnson (9)
    Spieth (7)
    Koepka (5)
    Kuchar (3)
    Dufner (2)
    Woods (2)
    Z. Johnson (2)

    Winning score of -5.
    Last edited by CDu; 06-12-2018 at 12:54 PM.

  10. #10
    love contests like this...

    I"m going with:
    Rickie Fowler 6
    Jordan Spieth 7
    Rory 7
    Jason Day 6
    Henrik Stenson 2

    -2 final winning score
    Race Bannon can drive ANYTHING!
    --and did you know Tim Matheson broke into show biz as voice of young Johnny Quest?

  11. #11
    DJ (9)
    Spieth (7)
    Fowler (6)
    Day (6)
    Woods (2)

    Winning score: -5
    Carolina delenda est

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    McIlroy 7
    Spieth 7
    Rahm 7
    Fowler 6
    Kuchar 3

    Winner final -6

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    love contests like this...

    I"m going with:
    Rickie Fowler 6
    Jordan Spieth 7
    Rory 7
    Jason Day 6
    Henrik Stenson 2

    -2 final winning score
    You still have 2 points to spend!
    Carolina delenda est

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Jordan Spieth 7
    Webb Simpson 4
    Sergio Garcia 4
    Phil Mickelson 4
    Henrik Stenson 4
    Matt Kuchar 3
    Matthew Fitzpatrick 2
    Tiger Woods 2

    Winner at 7 under

    Anyone checked out this video of the 18th green? That thing is gonna eat up some low scores, eek!

    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj5LpHVDfUS/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    You still have 2 points to spend!
    Actually, typo...Stenson is 4. Thanks for having my back though!!!!
    Race Bannon can drive ANYTHING!
    --and did you know Tim Matheson broke into show biz as voice of young Johnny Quest?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Dustin Johnson 9
    Justin Rose 8
    Ricky Fowler 6
    Marc Leishman 4
    Matt Kuchar 3

    Winning score: -4
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York City

    My Team

    Fowler - 6
    Mickelson - 4
    Stenson - 4
    Simpson - 4
    Kuchar - 3
    Oosthuizen - 3
    Tiger - 2
    Z. Johnson - 2
    A. Scott - 2

    Winning Score - 2
    Singler is IRON

    I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    My picks:

    Justin Rose - 8
    Phil Mickelson - 4
    Bryson DeChambeau - 4
    Henrik Stenson - 4
    Matt Kuchar - 3
    Kiradech Aphibarnrat - 3
    Jason Dufner - 2
    Brandt Snedeker - 2

    Winning score -9

    Go Phil!
    Last edited by killerleft; 06-12-2018 at 03:47 PM. Reason: low score
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    My picks:

    Justin Rose - 8
    Phil Mickelson - 4
    Bryson DeChambeau - 4
    Henrik Stenson - 4
    Matt Kuchar - 3
    Kiradech Aphibarnrat - 3
    Jason Dufner - 2
    Brandt Snedeker - 2
    You trying to win a golf pool or a game of Scrabble?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    My picks:

    Justin Rose - 8
    Phil Mickelson - 4
    Bryson DeChambeau - 4
    Henrik Stenson - 4
    Matt Kuchar - 3
    Kiradech Aphibarnrat - 3
    Jason Dufner - 2
    Brandt Snedeker - 2

    Winning score -9

    Go Phil!
    That's a good team...I wanted Kuchar, Dufner and Rose, and kind of wanted DeChambeau...but blew through my 30 points too quick.
    Race Bannon can drive ANYTHING!
    --and did you know Tim Matheson broke into show biz as voice of young Johnny Quest?

Similar Threads

  1. Duke Women's Golf 2018
    By sagegrouse in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 05-24-2018, 05:58 PM
  2. U.S. Open (Golf)
    By nmduke2001 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 06-23-2015, 12:39 AM
  3. The Open - Golf
    By rthomas in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 07-25-2014, 05:27 PM
  4. US Open Golf
    By OZZIE4DUKE in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 06-20-2011, 04:56 PM
  5. Women's Golf - US Open
    By 94duke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2009, 11:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •