Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Kyrie--Here We Go Again with the Flat Earth

Incredible player and generally an excellent representative of Duke, but his persistence with the flat earth stuff is hard to understand. This is the lead article in the boston.com sports section. Does anyone get it?

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston...-to-discuss-it

He has previously explained his flat earth comments as a “social experiment” to understand the reaction that people have towards the opinions of celebrities. Basically he is just trolling everyone. These recent comments look like more of the same to me. He never gives a direct answer to whether he actually believes the earth is flat, he just responds with more questions. Rather convenient way to get his name in the news when he has a movie coming out in a couple weeks.

3. His point is not to blindly accept conventional wisdom.

I’ve read other quotes from him hinting he doesn’t really believe the earth is flat.

I do think he’s trying too hard to be intellectually provocative.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    His point is not to blindly accept conventional wisdom.

I’ve read other quotes from him hinting he doesn’t really believe the earth is flat.

I do think he’s trying too hard to be intellectually provocative.
    This ^^^ - on the one hand, it's nice to see a more well rounded side of these athletes...on the other, this is trying too hard.

textbook definition of "drivel"

Quote Originally Posted by Willy2351 View Post
    Incredible player and generally an excellent representative of Duke, but his persistence with the flat earth stuff is hard to understand. This is the lead article in the boston.com sports section. Does anyone get it?

No and i just wasted 5 minutes of my life I can't get back and by now you have too. what drivel
    "I wanted it to be in my hands," Roach said of his game-sealing drive. "I wanted to take—I wanted that moment."

"Definitely was a bit personal for me," Roach added. "I mean, what happened last year, obviously, but just wanted to come out here and do anything I can to get this win, and we did that." Duke-Carolina, Cameron Indoor, Feb. 4th 2023

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    His point is not to blindly accept conventional wisdom.
    There are many many other ways to do this more effectively. This just makes him sound ignorant. Fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Our society it anti-science enough as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    There are many many other ways to do this more effectively. This just makes him sound ignorant. Fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Our society it anti-science enough as it is.
    Bingo. I love Kyrie and kinda love that he's weird in a benign kinda way. But this is just idiotic.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Bingo. I love Kyrie and kinda love that he's weird in a benign kinda way. But this is just idiotic.
    There are other, better ways to encourage critical thinking.

In otger news, isn't his movie about to come out? What a coincidence he brought this back up. Right?

A smart guy with an interesting schtick about the "earth is flat." He wants people to think for themselves. Let me repeat: "Kyrie is trying to get people to look at the evidence of a flat vs. round earth and make up their own minds." Anyone else thinking he is also preparing the way for the film that follows Uncle Drew? Uncle Drew gets shot off in a rocket to see the world is round. I believe there is room in this project for Richard Branson and Elon Musk. Ya' think maybe MJ would be on board to demonstrate the "ceiling is the roof?"

Let it loose, guys.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

he could just ask the Red-Bull guy (the NON PAID CONSPIRATOR FROM NASA)..

.the maddening thing about this entire subject is, the actual "conspiracy" reasons for NOT revealing that the earth is flat just, well, fall flat...

"One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    A smart guy with an interesting schtick about the "earth is flat."
    At this point, I'm pretty sure we can just stop prefacing all our comments about Kyrie with "he's smart, but..."

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    At this point, I'm pretty sure we can just stop prefacing all our comments about Kyrie with "he's smart, but..."
    Why? Maybe he is a world class troll.😂

A smart guy with an interesting schtick about the "earth is flat." He wants people to think for themselves.

Ya' think maybe MJ would be on board to demonstrate the "ceiling is the roof?"
    In the Dean Dome, isn't the ceiling the roof?

IMO, if Kyrie and MJ want "people to think for themselves", then MJ wins by creating a discussion worthy of debate.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Imagine being wealthy and pretty well known. You could put things out there just to watch people twist in the wind and smile to yourself. He is messing with people because he can. I choose to laugh with him. Keep stirring the pot Uncle Drew!

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Imagine being wealthy and pretty well known. You could put things out there just to watch people twist in the wind and smile to yourself. He is messing with people because he can. I choose to laugh with him. Keep stirring the pot Uncle Drew!
    I think that's possible. I don't think that's what is going on. And I know it's not a given.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    I will double down on my previous position. There is a movie under consideration with the working title, Uncle Drew and the Flat Earth. Kyrie is supposed to have both written and directed the Uncle Drew commercials for Pepsi. Apparently he is the writer and director of the Uncle Drew movie. How could this "flat earth thing" be anything but advanced warning of the next Uncle Drew movie, where he and his buds go to space?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I think that's possible. I don't think that's what is going on. And I know it's not a given.
    I don't think it's possible at all and I'm very upset about this. Some may think it's just funny or a joke but he is influencing younger kids with his words. Their are quite a number of people now who believe the earth is flat, NASA is a big hoax machine and that gravity doesn't exist. It is undermining to the foundations of science literacy in a time when it is of up most importance.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I don't think it's possible at all and I'm very upset about this. Some may think it's just funny or a joke but he is influencing younger kids with his words. Their are quite a number of people now who believe the earth is flat, NASA is a big hoax machine and that gravity doesn't exist. It is undermining to the foundations of science literacy in a time when it is of up most importance.
    I tend to agree with you, but I was trying to be polite. I think at a minimum, the fact that on a forum where I would assume the posters are above average in intelligence and overwhelmingly pre-disposed to give a Duke or ex Duke player the benefit of the doubt - that it was a prank gone awry.

As others have mentioned, a bit of maintaining his "woke" persona, a bit of attention-seeking, and a bit of trolling / amusing himself when people overreact to him, especially if earnestly.

I will double down on my previous position. There is a movie under consideration with the working title, Uncle Drew and the Flat Earth. Kyrie is supposed to have both written and directed the Uncle Drew commercials for Pepsi. Apparently he is the writer and director of the Uncle Drew movie. How could this "flat earth thing" be anything but advanced warning of the next Uncle Drew movie, where he and his buds go to space?
    In Space Jam, the Monstars came to Earth to play, right? Maybe Uncle Drew's Crew will play a road game this time.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    If kids are listening to what athletes and celebrities are saying about science rather than their own teachers, then we're in more trouble than we can possibly imagine.