Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    This one goes way deep into the tiebreaker rules! Unless I made a mistake somewhere, assuming a 0-1 Sweden loss and 1-0 Korea win, you get all the way to the second to last tiebreaker before drawing lots (most goals scored in games between the tied teams) which Germany wins. The next tiebreaker is fewest yellow/reds, followed by drawing lots.
    I despise the idea of drawing lots. Surely they can find another tiebreaker. I vote for whoever has the better uniform/colors. Fortunately for the teams, I don't believe I've seen any carolina blue out there.

This one goes way deep into the tiebreaker rules! Unless I made a mistake somewhere, assuming a 0-1 Sweden loss and 1-0 Korea win, you get all the way to the second to last tiebreaker before drawing lots (most goals scored in games between the tied teams) which Germany wins. The next tiebreaker is fewest yellow/reds, followed by drawing lots.
    Sweden, Germany and Korea would all have 3 points, -1 GD, and 2 Goals Scored in this scenario.

The tiebreaker would be among the matches involving these three teams, where they'd all have 3 points and 0 GD. Sweden and Germany would both have 2 goals scored. You would NOT re-run the tiebreaker for the Germany/Sweden - you would then go to the points from cards, where Sweden currently has a two point edge (because of Boateng's red).

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Sweden, Germany and Korea would all have 3 points, -1 GD, and 2 Goals Scored in this scenario.

The tiebreaker would be among the matches involving these three teams, where they'd all have 3 points and 0 GD. Sweden and Germany would both have 2 goals scored. You would NOT re-run the tiebreaker for the Germany/Sweden - you would then go to the points from cards, where Sweden currently has a two point edge (because of Boateng's red).
    Thanks, I mis-counted on goals scored between the three. I was curious how the tiebreaker worked once a team was eliminated, I assumed this was how it worked but wasn't sure, thanks for answering that question!

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I despise the idea of drawing lots. Surely they can find another tiebreaker. I vote for whoever has the better uniform/colors. Fortunately for the teams, I don't believe I've seen any carolina blue out there.
    Argentina and Uruguay are uncomfortably close in my book.

The Iran goalie almost just got in a fight with one of his defenders. I don't speak Arabic and I had the game on mute, but I somehow understood exactly what he was saying.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

15 minutes in, Spain and Morocco are already 1-0.

But not the way you think it would be.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The Iran goalie almost just got in a fight with one of his defenders. I don't speak Arabic and I had the game on mute, but I somehow understood exactly what he was saying.
    Arabic would do you little good, Jason, I'd go with Persian for the Iranians if the body language is insufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Arabic would do you little good, Jason, I'd go with Persian for the Iranians if the body language is insufficient.
    Farsi?

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Farsi?
    You're both correct. I had to research that as I thought it was Farsi, too.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Iran would seem to have earned 2 penalties that went uncalled so far.

When is an elbow to the head not a red card?

that's some king solomon split the baby officiating there.

that said, I do not envy this ref's job.

There's going to have to be like 6 minutes added to the 6 minutes of added time with all these reviews right?

Spain will go home unless something changes, right?

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    When is an elbow to the head not a red card?that's some king solomon split the baby officiating there.
    When Grayson is the victim?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Well. Quite a bit changed. Stupid work keeping me from watching some exciting finishes!

Well. Quite a bit changed. Stupid work keeping me from watching some exciting finishes!
    I couldn't watch either and a lot changed in the last 5 min of both games but I don't think Spain was ever in danger of going home. That would have required them to lose AND Iran to win. While Spain was losing until stoppage time Iran never led.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

There's going to have to be like 6 minutes added to the 6 minutes of added time with all these reviews right?
    It seemed like it ended early to me. The first 2 minutes and 57 seconds of injury time were VAR review, the PK and the celebration. How did the game not go to 99'?

I do not envy refs in games like that, being surrounded by angry, large players screaming at you in other languages. I don't think I'd react with grace at all. Had I been the ref, that game would have ended with the goal keepers punting the ball back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    I couldn't watch either and a lot changed in the last 5 min of both games but I don't think Spain was ever in danger of going home. That would have required them to lose AND Iran to win. While Spain was losing until stoppage time Iran never led.
    Spain would have gone home with a loss or draw if Iran had won. In the case where Iran drew (which is what happened), Spain was through as long as they didn't lose by more than 1.

Spain would have gone home with a loss or draw if Iran had won. In the case where Iran drew (which is what happened), Spain was through as long as they didn't lose by more than 1.
    Yes, good point that Spain would have also gone home with a tie if Iran had won. But as far as I can tell Iran never led so my main point in response to Cato's statement below was that "No, there was never a point where Spain was going home because Iran never led."

Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook