Paging All Seasoned Travelers of Sweden

I just found out I have to go to Sweden for two weeks for work in mid June. Looking for suggestions for things to do/see while I'm there. I'll be working in and around the town of Getinge, near the south western coast. I don't have a hotel picked out yet, but my host suggested a couple of hotels in Halmsted, for ease of getting to work, etc. If there is a better city to stay in that region for dining, sightseeing, do tell!

I'll be eating out every evening and would love to try as much local food as possible.

I'll have a long weekend in the middle of my stay and thought about making a short trip to Copenhagen or something to see some castles. I have no idea where to go or what to do on my downtime. IF there is something nearby that region that I will kick myself for missing over the long weekend, please let me know!

I'd love to go to an authentic beer garden or something in Germany, but that might be too far for the weekend, and could be something just as good near my lodging in Sweden.

All suggestions welcome, I have never been so clueless trying to plan a trip in my life. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I just found out I have to go to Sweden for two weeks for work in mid June. Looking for suggestions for things to do/see while I'm there. I'll be working in and around the town of Getinge, near the south western coast. I don't have a hotel picked out yet, but my host suggested a couple of hotels in Halmsted, for ease of getting to work, etc. If there is a better city to stay in that region for dining, sightseeing, do tell!

I'll be eating out every evening and would love to try as much local food as possible.

I'll have a long weekend in the middle of my stay and thought about making a short trip to Copenhagen or something to see some castles. I have no idea where to go or what to do on my downtime. IF there is something nearby that region that I will kick myself for missing over the long weekend, please let me know!

I'd love to go to an authentic beer garden or something in Germany, but that might be too far for the weekend, and could be something just as good near my lodging in Sweden.

All suggestions welcome, I have never been so clueless trying to plan a trip in my life. Thanks!
    You're picking a nice time of year to be in Sweden, but if you have trouble sleeping with the lights on, bring a sleep mask.

A couple of important dates to keep in mind:

* Midsummer (Friday Evening, 6/22 this year) is a day where roughly 99% of Swedes will go out to the countryside and celebrate the summer solstice by drinking lots of aquavit and dancing around a maypole pretending to be small frogs.

* Sweden's group stage matches in the World Cup:
    6/18 14:00 local time
    6/23 20:00 local time
    6/27 16:00 local time

I would strongly encourage a jaunt down to Copenhagen. It's a beautiful city, with lots to do. Malmö is a nice city too.

What are you looking to do while you're there? What do you like to do on trips?

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    You're picking a nice time of year to be in Sweden, but if you have trouble sleeping with the lights on, bring a sleep mask.

* Midsummer (Friday Evening, 6/22 this year) is a day where roughly 99% of Swedes will go out to the countryside and celebrate the summer solstice by drinking lots of aquavit and dancing around a maypole pretending to be small frogs.

I would strongly encourage a jaunt down to Copenhagen. It's a beautiful city, with lots to do. Malmö is a nice city too.

I know nothing of Sweden or its Midsummer, so I had to look it up when I read the statement bolded above: gus speaks the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post

This will be my last day in town, and right now it's scheduled as a free day. If I cap off my trip in a Swedish field, drinking and dancing around a maypole, pretending to be a small frog, I will definitely be able to mark it down on my list of "things I've done I bet you haven't done".

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    This will be my last day in town, and right now it's scheduled as a free day. If I cap off my trip in a Swedish field, drinking and dancing around a maypole, pretending to be a small frog, I will definitely be able to mark it down on my list of "things I've done I bet you haven't done".
    I saw you reference your trip on another thread -- how was it?

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDevil View Post
    I know nothing of Sweden or its Midsummer, so I had to look it up when I read the statement bolded above: gus speaks the truth.
    I was in Sweden for midsummer a long time ago and there was a party we went to, but there was no dancing and no mention of frogs. I guess I was with a boring crowd.