Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Duke-Texas Tech super regional

Time to put Athens in the rear-view mirror and move on to the weekend.

The schedule for the weekend.

Saturday, June 9
    Duke vs. Texas Tech, 3 p.m., ESPNU

Sunday, June 10
    Texas Tech vs. Duke, 6 p.m., ESPN2

Monday, June 11
    Duke vs. Texas Tech, 4 p.m., ESPN2 (if necessary)

Duke had a media availability just off the bus this afternoon.

Some highlights.

Pollard likes Saturday/Sunday/Monday over Friday/Saturday/Sunday. Duke played five games in four days, used lots of relievers and getting from Durham to Lubbock is not easy. An extra day's rest hits the spot.

Pollard says it's too late in the season to miss with the pitching rotation. Acknowledged that Duke needs better starting pitching. Cannot keep overcoming early deficits against quality teams.

He also said that he thinks Stallings is better after short rest than long rest. So, look for Stallings and Day in whichever order. A prospective game three would be all hands on deck, with Laskey, one would presume, getting the ball and hopefully getting back to form.

Pollard doesn't like having the MLB draft during the post-season. Really doesn't like it. Really, really doesn't like it. A big distraction.

Note that Duke has never had to deal with this before. The season has always been over before the draft.

Hopefully, we can make this a regular thing.

Chris Crabtree grew up a Carolina fan. They did not recruit him. He says his brothers are still Carolina fans but his parents have come around.

Later.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Time to put Athens in the rear-view mirror and move on to the weekend.

The schedule for the weekend.

Saturday, June 9
    Duke vs. Texas Tech, 3 p.m., ESPNU

Sunday, June 10
    Texas Tech vs. Duke, 6 p.m., ESPN2

Monday, June 11
    Duke vs. Texas Tech, 4 p.m., ESPN2 (if necessary)

Duke had a media availability just off the bus this afternoon.

Some highlights.

Pollard likes Saturday/Sunday/Monday over Friday/Saturday/Sunday. Duke played five games in four days, used lots of relievers and getting from Durham to Lubbock is not easy. An extra day's rest hits the spot.

Pollard says it's too late in the season to miss with the pitching rotation. Acknowledged that Duke needs better starting pitching. Cannot keep overcoming early deficits against quality teams.

He also said that he thinks Stallings is better after short rest than long rest. So, look for Stallings and Day in whichever order. A prospective game three would be all hands on deck, with Laskey, one would presume, getting the ball and hopefully getting back to form.

Pollard doesn't like having the MLB draft during the post-season. Really doesn't like it. Really, really doesn't like it. A big distraction.

Note that Duke has never had to deal with this before. The season has always been over before the draft.

Hopefully, we can make this a regular thing.

Chris Crabtree grew up a Carolina fan. They did not recruit him. He says his brothers are still Carolina fans but his parents have come around.

Later.
    Bonus reports from Jim!!!! Many thanks!

Thanks Jim!

Perhaps Day and Laskey will be inspired by Stallings' brilliance yesterday. Improved starting pitching in Lubbock is a must.
    Bob Green

Later.
    That part about Pollard being so much in angst about the draft worries me a bit...and really, why is MLB having the draft now instead of waiting two weeks. That's crap.

Cool about Crabtree. Man, did he have a regional , or what?

Southwest flies to Lubbock, which is only 6 hours by car to Juarez.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    That part about Pollard being so much in angst about the draft worries me a bit...and really, why is MLB having the draft now instead of waiting two weeks. That's crap.

Cool about Crabtree. Man, did he have a regional , or what?
    Why would it worry you?

Pollard compared it to the NBA having its draft during March Madness or Baker Mayfield finding out where he had been drafted during a bowl game.

MLB would respond that they want to get these guys started in rookie ball as soon as possible and to be fair, no other sport expects their draft picks to go from college competition to pro competition almost overnight.

But, yes, I wish they would change it. But I'm not sure they have any incentive and the NCAA sure doesn't have much influence.

Crabtree told us that he was told he was replacing Rothenberg in the Campbell game when it was time for someone to go into the on-deck circle. Not much time to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Watch the tattoos in Juarez. I learned this, the hard way, during our appearance in the Sun Bowl a few years ago.

Why would it worry you?

Pollard compared it to the NBA having its draft during March Madness or Baker Mayfield finding out where he had been drafted during a bowl game.
    I think the NBA draft during March Madness would be a catastrophe...I don't even like the POY awards and such being announced before the Final Four. Players take such things personally, and the draft, or the awards, become part of the dynamic - when I think the dynamic should be simply the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Hope OPK does not read this.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

A prospective game three would be all hands on deck, with Laskey, one would presume, getting the ball and hopefully getting back to form.
    I think each game should be all hands on deck. Just go for it. Fun times. So happy for the program.

Nice article on Crabtree and his shocking coming out party in Athens:
    https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/a...-lead-duke-its

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Great story... my favorite part:
    "Coach," junior left field Jimmy Herron said, "if I'd have told you coming into this regional that Chris Crabtree was going to be intentionally walked at some point during the course of the regional, would you take those odds?"

Pollard offered an honest answer.

"Jimmy," Pollard said, "I'd have put my house on those odds."
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Pollard said yesterday that Duke will have to find ways to get Crabtree and Loperfido on the field at the same time next year. Loperfido played some middle infield in high school. Duke will need a new second baseman, a new third baseman and perhaps a new shortstop next season, so opportunities will be abundant.

Pollard was very complimentary of Crabtree's ability to stay focused and keep working, even when he wasn't playing. Most freshman reserves have been the best player on their team since they started playing and have never experienced sitting on the bench. They check out when they have to sit. Crabtree didn't check out. He stayed with the process.

I had never talked with him until yesterday. But he seemed awfully grounded for a teenager who had just been thrust into the spotlight. I was impressed. I suspect we'll see a lot more of him.
    Last edited by jimsumner; 06-06-2018 at 12:28 PM.

Speaking of Loperfido.

From Duke press release.

"Duke first baseman Joey Loperfido was named to the Collegiate Baseball Freshman All-America team, the organization announced Wednesday.

This is the first All-America honor for the Haddonfield, N.J., native. Loperfido is the 11th Blue Devil in history to tally Freshman All-American honors and the first since teammate Jimmy Herron collected the honor from Louisville Slugger in 2016. Loperfido is also the first Blue Devil to earn the honor from Collegiate Baseball since JD Alleva in 1998.

The ACC All-Freshman Team honoree was predominantly a shortstop, third baseman and outfielder in high school, but transitioned to first base after arriving in Durham and has started all 60 games at that position. Loperfido tops the Blue Devil squad with a .308 average to go along with 64 hits, 42 runs scored, 40 RBI, 10 doubles, six homers and a pair of triples."

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    "Crabtree logged just 15 regular-season at bats in a frustrating freshman season."

WOW!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Watch the tattoos in Juarez. I learned this, the hard way, during our appearance in the Sun Bowl a few years ago.
    Many of the best travel packages to Juarez include airline tickets, hotel, ground transportation and penicillin.

This is the first All-America honor for the Haddonfield, N.J., native.
    I heard the secret to his success was a steady diet of Zoubek Dream Puffz just as he started puberty in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    "Crabtree logged just 15 regular-season at bats in a frustrating freshman season."

WOW!
    Yep, Loperfido beat him out barely at the beginning of the year...Pollard assumed there would be a Loperfido slump and Crabtree would get some starts. Loperfido never slumped. Crabtree now the hottest hitter in the nation.

Kudos to Crabtree

Pollard said yesterday that Duke will have to find ways to get Crabtree and Loperfido on the field at the same time next year. Loperfido played some middle infield in high school. Duke will need a new second baseman, a new third baseman and perhaps a new shortstop next season, so opportunities will be abundant.

Pollard was very complimentary of Crabtree's ability to stay focused and keep working, even when he wasn't playing. Most freshman reserves have been the best player on their team since they started playing and have never experienced sitting on the bench. They check out when they have to sit. Crabtree didn't check out. He stayed with the process.

I had never talked with him until yesterday. But he seemed awfully grounded for a teenager who had just been thrust into the spotlight. I was impressed. I suspect we'll see a lot more of him.
    This reaction is especially refreshing coming from a baseball guy. Baseball players and their parents are some of the most, if not THE most high maintenance as a group of all of the sports that I've been around. I don't know if it comes from the socio-economic status of families who tend to get into baseball, etc. or if it's because every mom and dad think they know as much about the game as anyone. But either way, I'm happy to hear this about one of our players! He truly turned our weekend around in Athens.

Quote Originally Posted by redick4pres View Post
    We could probably swap some interesting stories.
    I ended up deleting the post but you responded to a deleted post.

Amazing what can be done with modern analytics.

Anyway.

I do not want to seem too negative. Most parents range from good to great. It was only a small portion who spoiled it for the rest. And I suspect we would find comparable examples in every youth sport.