Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sixers / Bryan Colangelo twitter intrigue

The ringer has an interesting (and crazy) story up about what appears to be Coangelo's use of twitter accounts to attack and undermine players and Coaches in Philly. The evidence seems pretty damning. The accounts in question suggested that Jah wasn't traded earlier because he failed a physical and encouraged writers to ask about it. They also attacked Embid and Nerlens Noel. The accounts did, however, speak glowingly of Brian Congelo. This definitely adds to the speculation that Jah didn't get a fair shake with the 76ers. Hopefully he can overcome his start (which included his own mistakes) and do well in a new environment.
    Last edited by -jk; 05-30-2018 at 08:42 AM. Reason: fix link

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    The ringer has an interesting (and crazy) story up about what appears to be Coangelo's use of twitter accounts to attack and undermine players and Coaches in Philly. The evidence seems pretty damning. The accounts in question suggested that Jah wasn't traded earlier because he failed a physical and encouraged writers to ask about it. They also attacked Embid and Nerlens Noel. The accounts did, however, speak glowingly of Brian Congelo. This definitely adds to the speculation that Jah didn't get a fair shake with the 76ers. Hopefully he can overcome his start (which included his own mistakes) and do well in a new environment.
    Was just going to post this. I think it's basically irrefutable that the accounts belong to Bryan Colangelo. Somewhere KD is breathing a sigh of relief: I'm not the only one caught with Twitter burner accounts!

In all seriousness though, Colangelo's tweets seem really really bad.

Sample tweet: "Joel is not the future of the franchise, so who cares if he is not 100%, let's exploit him"

It's almost all too salacious to believe. If I was a player on that team, I would be pissed and would find it hard to trust this guy ever again. Can the 76s afford to not fire him?
    Last edited by darthur; 05-30-2018 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    Colangelo. Not Coangelo or Congelo.

Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    Was just going to post this. I think it's basically irrefutable that the accounts belong to Bryan Colangelo.
    Or on reflection: a family member or something? This whole thing is just too weird, I can't stop thinking/reading about it..

The Curious Case of Bryan Colangelo and the Secret Twitter Account

From The Ringer:

In February, The Ringer received an anonymous tip that Bryan Colangelo, the Philadelphia 76ers’ president of basketball operations, had been secretly operating five Twitter accounts. Since then, we have scrutinized and archived those accounts in an attempt to verify the source’s claims that the longtime NBA executive has been using them as a platform to:

• Criticize NBA players, including Joel Embiid, Jahlil Okafor, and Nerlens Noel
    • Publicly debate the decisions of his own coaching staff, as well as critique former Sixers general manager Sam Hinkie and Toronto Raptors president Masai Ujiri
    • Telegraph the 2017 trade in which the Sixers acquired the no. 1 overall pick that would become Markelle Fultz
    • Disclose nonpublic medical information about Okafor and gossip about Embiid and Fultz to members of the national and Philadelphia media
    When Okafor rejoined the Sixers in Boston on February 15, Colangelo was criticized for creating an embarrassing situation for the second-year center. From that point onward, Eric jr (and other accounts) consistently claimed, dozens of times, that a deadline deal involving Okafor was derailed by a failed physical... Most of the tweets were directed toward basketball journalists and often tried to goad them into investigating the otherwise unreported allegation. “Ask Jah If he passed other team physical?” Eric jr tweeted at Keith Pompey, a Sixers beat writer for Philly.com. “I bet the farm it’s what’s happened.” The account made a similar suggestion to Jacobs. “Ask Jah If this is the truth? … You are a pretty established writer/blogger. Ask team for interview.”
    And then there's this:

Sorry, Bryan. Got you.

Went to “reset password” and tried three of his burners. Every single one has a phone number ending in 91. This is clearly not a coincidence.

*note*: I cropped out Colangelo’s email addresses from the picture
    If — if! — this is all true, Colangelo is gone.

ETA: Well, shoot. Didn't see the other thread on this. Mods, can you please work some magic?

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Colangelo. Not Coangelo or Congelo.
    I beg to differ. Corleone, as in Sonny. “They hit us, so… we hit back.”
    At least he's not Fredo...
    "Quality is not an option!"

Want to really blow your mind...

It appears that the person who outed the 5 Colangelo fake accounts was none other than former Sixers GM Sam Hinkie!!

https://twitter.com/Cole_Kev/status/...577703424?s=19
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

It appears that the person who outed the 5 Colangelo fake accounts was none other than former Sixers GM Sam Hinkie!!

Twitter is very dangerous. We shall see but doesn’t look good.

Was just going to post this. I think it's basically irrefutable that the accounts belong to Bryan Colangelo. Somewhere KD is breathing a sigh of relief: I'm not the only one caught with Twitter burner accounts!
    Or on reflection: a family member or something?
    Were it not for the fact that Colangelo admitted to one of the accounts being his, another possibility would've been someone trying to frame Colangelo, i.e. most likely the anonymous tipper himself were that the case. At least that's what my conspiratorial mind would've jumped to. But now that Colangelo has admitted to using one of the accounts, it's just a matter of whether the evidence can tie all five accounts together conclusively.

That's just some fun speculation, Jason. No hard evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    That's just some fun speculation, Jason. No hard evidence.
    Stop ruining the fun! This story is nothing but speculation. Let me enjoy it! Ha!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Stop ruining the fun! This story is nothing but speculation. Let me enjoy it! Ha!
    I actually went and read the Ringer story before posting, and the reporter puts out some good evidence that it is not speculative--most damning--he contacted the sixers office, knowing about five suspicious accounts, and only asked about two of them, so the sixers didn't have any information about his knowing of the other three, and lo and behold-all five were closed. Also there is information about people followed, including similarities between accounts, and personal friends and business associates of BC, and tweets about specific things that happened when and where BC was present. It's a pretty thorough investigative job, especially for today's journalism.

The Sixers have launched their own investigation

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    I actually went and read the Ringer story before posting, and the reporter puts out some good evidence that it is not speculative--most damning--he contacted the sixers office, knowing about five suspicious accounts, and only asked about two of them, so the sixers didn't have any information about his knowing of the other three, and lo and behold-all five were closed. Also there is information about people followed, including similarities between accounts, and personal friends and business associates of BC, and tweets about specific things that happened when and where BC was present. It's a pretty thorough investigative job, especially for today's journalism.
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ryan-colangelo

"An online media outlet filed a story linking multiple social media accounts to 76ers president of basketball operations Bryan Colangelo. The allegations are serious and we have commenced an independent investigation into the matter," the 76ers' statement said. "We will report the results of that investigation as soon as it is concluded."

Three random thoughts on this:

1. This really sounds like something that would happen to my Knicks - Dolan is losing his touch
    2. Adam Silver would not be happy about this story at any time, but I am sure he is particularly annoyed that it is coming out right before the NBA Finals and taking attention away from the product on the court
    3. I saw zero ads on this story. It is going to get a ridiculous number of hits. How does The Ringer make money?

Sorry, Bryan. Got you.

Went to “reset password” and tried three of his burners. Every single one has a phone number ending in 91. This is clearly not a coincidence.

*note*: I cropped out Colangelo’s email addresses from the picture
    I actually think the phone number thing here is the one piece of evidence that *doesn't* seem to point to Colangelo, and why I was wondering if the tweets were from a family member instead.

The one account that's definitely BC's apparently has a different phone number. I find it odd that Colangelo could be cautious enough to use a different phone number for his controversial accounts (which were created both before and after) but could still be reckless enough to make the other gaffes in the article.

Man oh man, what an explosive story. If true, Markelle Fultz losing his shooting stroke because he has father issues and his mom was in a relationship with his trainer is insane. Bryan is done, and may be liable for disclosing health issues on Jah.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    This is what really lessens the chances that it is just a random person attempting to frame Colangelo.

I think there's realistically three options (in increasing order of likelihood IMO):

1. The author did it - talk about a long con. Would require years of running burner twitter accounts with meticulous detail and getting access to and leaking top-level scooped insights and quotes anonymously vs. publishing them through his journalism platform. This feels like a stretch to me, I'm putting it last on my list

2. Colangelo himself did it - Everything points to this except for three things: the phone number of the account Colangelo owned up to is different than the others, he has repeatedly said that it wasn't him posting, and the incentives here just don't make any sense...I mean the Big Collar can be irrational at times and make poor basketball decisions, but man what you gain by doing this vs. what you lose if caught is just totally misaligned. I think this is possible (and more likely than author doing it), but it's not my bet

3. (What I think actually happened) - It's a different Colangelo! - We know the person who did this would have talked to Bryan Colangelo shortly after the author brought the first two accounts to the Sixers attention, which is how they realized they should close the other three accounts. We also know that the accounts indicated a deep interest in elements of Colangelo's personal life (following his son's basketball teammates and coaches, his old days from the Raptors, etc.). We also know the three most active anonymous accounts have a different phone number and email than the only one BC owned up to. Any other Colangelo would share all three of these characteristics

So I'm going with Colonel Mustard (Jerry Colangelo) in the Conservatory (likely his study) with the Candlestick (probably a desktop given Jerry's age )

The real question is what happens to Colangelo? If it's #1, nothing happens. If it's #2, he's clearly fired.

If it's #3, how does the org handle what's going to be a super toxic situation? Clearly the info would have gotten to that source, likely through Bryan. Keeping him without clearly exonerating him by finding the villain here would make the Sixers a super undesirable free agent destination right when they're going for Lebron. I still think he'd have to go...

Quote Originally Posted by oakvillebluedevil View Post
    This is what really lessens the chances that it is just a random person attempting to frame Colangelo.

I think there's realistically three options (in increasing order of likelihood IMO):

1. The author did it - talk about a long con. Would require years of running burner twitter accounts with meticulous detail and getting access to and leaking top-level scooped insights and quotes anonymously vs. publishing them through his journalism platform. This feels like a stretch to me, I'm putting it last on my list

2. Colangelo himself did it - Everything points to this except for three things: the phone number of the account Colangelo owned up to is different than the others, he has repeatedly said that it wasn't him posting, and the incentives here just don't make any sense...I mean the Big Collar can be irrational at times and make poor basketball decisions, but man what you gain by doing this vs. what you lose if caught is just totally misaligned. I think this is possible (and more likely than author doing it), but it's not my bet

3. (What I think actually happened) - It's a different Colangelo! - We know the person who did this would have talked to Bryan Colangelo shortly after the author brought the first two accounts to the Sixers attention, which is how they realized they should close the other three accounts. We also know that the accounts indicated a deep interest in elements of Colangelo's personal life (following his son's basketball teammates and coaches, his old days from the Raptors, etc.). We also know the three most active anonymous accounts have a different phone number and email than the only one BC owned up to. Any other Colangelo would share all three of these characteristics

So I'm going with Colonel Mustard (Jerry Colangelo) in the Conservatory (likely his study) with the Candlestick (probably a desktop given Jerry's age )

The real question is what happens to Colangelo? If it's #1, nothing happens. If it's #2, he's clearly fired.

If it's #3, how does the org handle what's going to be a super toxic situation? Clearly the info would have gotten to that source, likely through Bryan. Keeping him without clearly exonerating him by finding the villain here would make the Sixers a super undesirable free agent destination right when they're going for Lebron. I still think he'd have to go...
    What about #4: elaborate frame job by someone other than the author (e.g., the anonymous tipster) who has an axe to grind (e.g., Hinkie or someone connected to him)? That seems more likely than #1 or #3.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    Man oh man, what an explosive story. If true, Markelle Fultz losing his shooting stroke because he has father issues and his mom was in a relationship with his trainer is insane. Bryan is done, and may be liable for disclosing health issues on Jah.
    Yeah, I feel the same as well.

And if Jah is done, he needs to sue Colangelo. Easy money right there.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    What about #4: elaborate frame job by someone other than the author (e.g., the anonymous tipster) who has an axe to grind (e.g., Hinkie or someone connected to him)? That seems more likely than #1 or #3.
    I hear you, this a good point

Where this breaks down for me is that the anonymous tipster would have a super narrow window of time between the author reaching out to the sixers about 2 of the 5 accounts (which happened morning May 22) and when the accounts were closed (hours later that same day). So the tipster would either have to be way up in the Sixers front office (to hear this was happening from the sixers PR person the author spoke to) or informed by the author, in which case the author is a bad actor. This also runs into the "long con" dilemma of would it really be worth 18 mos. of someone's life laying such an intricate trail of crumbs...

I agree it should be on the complete list though...I'd say between the author doing it himself and Colangelo doing it

It is an amazing story. If it is BC, just another example of a powerful person done in by thin skin and paranoia...very Nixonian.