Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stanley Cup 2018

Really?

None of you DCMDVA-ers are amped for the Stanley quest? Playoff hockey is terrific! Whatsamattayou?

Don't tell me you're all "skeered"?!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

As a novice hockey fan with no skin in the game, these playoffs have been lots of fun. Game One was quite entertaining. Moving forward, I will root for equalizing goals and equalizing games for maximum dramatic effect, overtimes, and game seven.

Go knights go! This city is going nuts. Who said Vegas couldn’t support a pro team?

It's terrific fun. I'm not emotionally invested this year but that was a heck of a game one.

I wonder if there has been a twitter scandal hurting the feelings of any hockey players yet?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Go knights go! This city is going nuts. Who said Vegas couldn’t support a pro team?
    Guess you have to put on a full Vegas show and then sneak in a hockey game afterwards to get support...

Long suffering Caps fan here, so sorry for the cheap shot (but not really ). Vegas's run to the final is a great story, and there are a lot of interesting Knights/Caps story lines in this series, including the Caps former GM heading up the Knights, former Caps up-and-coming star in Nate Schmidt facing his old team, Fleury's history tormenting the Caps in prior playoff series, and even Bryce Harper's hometown fandom. As someone who is used to epic collapses in the post season, I feel like the Caps got two steps closer, but will still get the football pulled away at the last second. Game 1 was highly entertaining with numerous lead changes back and forth, and Vegas did a great job keeping Ovi in check and keeping Holtby moving. Tonight is huge - the Caps have not been great at home so coming back to DC down 2-0 would be tough, but getting the split on the road would put the team in good position. The story of the Caps postseason has been digging themselves out of holes - losing 2 at home to Columbus to start the series, beating the Pens for only the second time in 11 playoff chances, dropping 3 straight to Tampa but coming back to win in 7 on the road - so hopefully the resolve and good fortune continues.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Guess you have to put on a full Vegas show and then sneak in a hockey game afterwards to get support...

Long suffering Caps fan here, so sorry for the cheap shot (but not really ). Vegas's run to the final is a great story, and there are a lot of interesting Knights/Caps story lines in this series, including the Caps former GM heading up the Knights, former Caps up-and-coming star in Nate Schmidt facing his old team, Fleury's history tormenting the Caps in prior playoff series, and even Bryce Harper's hometown fandom. As someone who is used to epic collapses in the post season, I feel like the Caps got two steps closer, but will still get the football pulled away at the last second. Game 1 was highly entertaining with numerous lead changes back and forth, and Vegas did a great job keeping Ovi in check and keeping Holtby moving. Tonight is huge - the Caps have not been great at home so coming back to DC down 2-0 would be tough, but getting the split on the road would put the team in good position. The story of the Caps postseason has been digging themselves out of holes - losing 2 at home to Columbus to start the series, beating the Pens for only the second time in 11 playoff chances, dropping 3 straight to Tampa but coming back to win in 7 on the road - so hopefully the resolve and good fortune continues.
    I live in St. Louis. Who knew they still played hockey in June?

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I live in Atlanta. Who knew they still played hockey? Again.

Go Vegas.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    I haven't posted about it here, because hockey doesn't get a lot of discussion on these boards, but I'm pretty pumped by the Caps' performance so far. Tonight's win was fantastic. Thank you, Holtby, for the save of your life! First game win for the franchise in the Stanley Cup finals. (I guess the same could be said for Vegas's win in game one...)

The Caps needed one road win, and now they've got it. We'll see if home ice is kind to them - historically, it hasn't been, but this team has blown through the historic norms for the franchise.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    They do, but only after an episode of Game of Thrones on ice and an Imagine Dragons concert

Thought Vegas got the better of the play most of the night, but Holtby and the huge 5 on 3 penalty kill were the difference. Hockey can be fickle like that. Will be interesting to see how both teams play in DC.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post

As I told a friend last year, I'm a Braves and a Caps fan...playoff disappointment is just a part of life. This year though, if the Eagles can win the super bowl then anything can happen. Tee up that football Lucy.

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    ... a Caps fan...playoff disappointment is just a part of life...
    Stay calm. Ovey might just have the look this year.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    "Hope is a dangerous thing" but I may be starting to hope. I don't know anywhere near enough about hockey to be able to comment intelligently on what adjustments have been made but how can you not believe after The Save. That's the kind of play that has normally gone against the Caps in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    "Hope is a dangerous thing" but I may be starting to hope. I don't know anywhere near enough about hockey to be able to comment intelligently on what adjustments have been made but how can you not believe after The Save. That's the kind of play that has normally gone against the Caps in the playoffs.
    My middle school health class assured us that "'hope' is not a method."

-jk

Every game I have watched live in this playoffs, the Caps have lost. Therefore, I am not watching any more. I DVR the games the next day on hockey channel and watch after. I am willing to make this sacrifice for my Caps, even though it REALLY hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I think he does...and I think the magic of Vegas is running out.

Signed,
    Hurricanes season tix holder for years, including the Stanley Cup Title year

Go Knights Go! Go Knights Go! Go Knights Go!

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Wow - DC is so hungry for a sports championship, and this is the closest they've been to one since 1992. If the Caps blow this now, it will be just a crushing blow.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

The Knights have lived a charmed existence in their short tenure...but charmed existences don't last in hockey. Yeah, the NHL over shot in making things easier for expansion teams in the draft...and a few decisions made by Vegas management have worked out better than anyone would've/could've predicted.

But last night Vegas caught a cruel bad break - hitting the post in the first period with the score 0-0. The game changed on that play.

That's the way hockey is. In a way, it's the cruelest of sports...the most emotionally demanding. The bounce of the puck, hitting the post or going in the net, hot goalie or not hot goalie...you can dominate 20 minutes straight and not get a goal, and then get beat on a single bad bounce break away.

I think the Caps win game 5 now.

HHhhhmm...knights win game 5, but caps likely apres ca.