Page 9 of 67 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    I'll admit that when I do that and someone doesn't say thank you, depending on my mood, I will utter "you're welcome." I guess it gives me some satisfaction.

Well there isn't really anything to disagree with. My problem was with the "you're welcome". I threw that part in as an extra .02 for just how I approach things. So to your comment I would say I still hold true there, I don't want someone to say thank you for holding the door. While I'm on it I don't really like the door being held, just go ahead because when you hold it I feel the need to rush so as not to inconvenience you. If I'm close behind you just give the door an extra push so it swings open wider, same result.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    The pervasive use of adjectives when adverbs should be used. This is not just done by the uneducated, but by many in the media who should know better. Just add -ly people!
    I'll get that fixed quick.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Well there isn't really anything to disagree with. My problem was with the "you're welcome". I threw that part in as an extra .02 for just how I approach things. So to your comment I would say I still hold true there, I don't want someone to say thank you for holding the door. While I'm on it I don't really like the door being held, just go ahead because when you hold it I feel the need to rush so as not to inconvenience you. If I'm close behind you just give the door an extra push so it swings open wider, same result.
    Funny - something I like to do is hold a door open for someone and not follow them through the door. I'll even go through the first to hold the second set of doors open. I typically do this when I see someone that will be trying to push a stroller through doors that don't have the automatic openers. It throws them for a loop when I leave the store rather than go in. Random acts of kindness.

(I know they can usually make it through on their own but it is easier if someone is holding the door.)

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Funny - something I like to do is hold a door open for someone and not follow them through the door. I'll even go through the first to hold the second set of doors open. I typically do this when I see someone that will be trying to push a stroller through doors that don't have the automatic openers. It throws them for a loop when I leave the store rather than go in. Random acts of kindness.

(I know they can usually make it through on their own but it is easier if someone is holding the door.)
    Ok yeah now this I have 0 problem doing. Maybe their hands are full, they're elderly or whatever. I was referring to the average everyday person.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I'll get that fixed quick.
    $#@%&!

Which reminds me of a word I like....grawlix.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Ok yeah now this I have 0 problem doing. Maybe their hands are full, they're elderly or whatever. I was referring to the average everyday person.
    I confess - I tend to hold doors in the average everyday setting, as well. I blame my parents for that - and for not being able to call in sick to work just because I don't feel like going in that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    ...Which reminds me of a word I like...grawlix.
    I like gravlax.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I like smorgasbord and cornucopia. I dislike when a person travels and says they “did” this place. There’s always more to explore, see and do.

If last night's National Spelling Bee doesn't make this thread rival TLTE, I don't know what will (cuz, sadly, it ain't Ymmm Beer).
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    If last night's National Spelling Bee doesn't make this thread rival TLTE, I don't know what will (cuz, sadly, it ain't Ymmm Beer).
    On the one hand, it's very impressive what those kids can do. On the other hand, it seems like a skill that is of extremely limited real world use and a massive waste of brain power. So, I'm not quite sure how to feel about it.

I believe upthread someone mentioned “honestly “ or “truthfully “ when what follows may not be. It reminds me of “with all due respect “... or even better “no offence...”

Criterion is a great word. Also a great name for a yacht. Or a thoroughbread horse.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I believe upthread someone mentioned “honestly “ or “truthfully “ when what follows may not be. It reminds me of “with all due respect “... or even better “no offence...”
    “Bless his heart”

None of the words in a sentence before "but" count.

I've tried to not use the word "but" in my writing and talking. It can be done -- and it helps.

... It reminds me of “with all due respect “... or even better “no offence...”
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    “Bless his heart”
    "In [Sagegrouse's] humble opinion" ...

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    None of the words in a sentence before "but" count.

I've tried to not use the word "but" in my writing and talking. It can be done -- and it helps.
    “ However”......

I thought he gave up the pretense ...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I thought he gave up the pretense ...
    Yeah, I think it is more properly “in Sagegrouse’s [humble] opinion.”

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Yeah, I think it is more properly “in Sagegrouse’s [humble] opinion.”
    I believe it’s where the H is mostly silent.

SO

Looks like most of my cringe-worthy words have already been covered, but …..

How did "so" become the first word in so many sentences??

This seems to really prevalent in radio interviews where the answer to most of the questions will begin with, "So..."

It's like a little weed that has suddenly popped up all over the place.