Page 7 of 67 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JStuart View Post

'I'm good' in answer to 'how are you doing?' just grates on me, seems just a wrong use of the words, should be 'I'm fine', or 'well.
    JStuart
    This reminded me of a phrase I enjoy. "You're fine." This seems to have popped into existence within the past ten years or so (or, at least I cannot recall ever hearing it before that). In case it's not clear what I'm talking about, it's a phrase people use when you are interrupting or inconveniencing them, and you say, "sorry" or "I'm sorry." They immediately shoot back "You're fine."

I can't explain why I like this. It just makes me feel good. Although they are really trying to say that you are not an annoyance to them, or that your current action is not disturbing to them, the phrase comes across as much broader. So, I'm fine? Everything about me is suddenly OK? I like that.

Here's another one I don't like. "Gotcha." Again, a fairly recent development. Takes the place of "I understand," "OK," "I get it now," "I'll do that for you," and any number of other perfectly good phrases.

"I'm trying to tell you that the Tarheels suck."
    "Gotcha."

"I need you to pick up a gallon of milk on the way home."
    "Gotcha."

"The derivative of 3x squared is 6x."
    "Gotcha."

I guess there is nothing particularly heinous about "gotcha," but give it a rest already!
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I bristle at hearing the words "Thank you" (probably because I hear it so rarely) and will say something that I consider neutral in instinctive response: "Don't mention it" or "Sure," but most likely "No problem." When I do say "You're welcome," it's only after a serious pause and consideration. It does not come naturally.

If I had to explain it, I would say that while I was taught to say "Thank you" to others, that lesson in etiquette did not extend to continuing the polite conversation. So I neither expect much of a response when I say it, or provide much of one when I hear it. I mostly want to wipe the slate clean.

There are, of course, times when I am in unusual need of assistance, and will make the effort to express my thanks and appreciation to those who offer help. Similarly, I may go above and beyond the standard and socially acceptable level of assistance to help others in special situations, and will make the effort to finish that connection with thoughtful words. But note that both times I said "effort," which takes me out of my effortless, solitary, and private mode.

Right on cue: The Real Reason Chick-fil-A Employees Say "My Pleasure" (Taste of Home magazine)
    Not being an official part of the official training (as the article claims based on a random Reddit AMA by a high schooler) would have to be a recent development. It would make some sense that it is not officially trained or required anymore, as I have noticed fewer "my pleasures" and more "you're welcomes" and the like in recent years whenever I want some tasty chicken (I do not go there because I enjoy the pleasantries). But during my 7 years of high school and college across 3 stores in 2 cities, it was most definitely trained AND required, no other response was acceptable and you would be called out if a manager caught you saying something else.

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    At your service:

Attachment 8372

And, you're welcome. Or, is that "no problem?"
    Methinks the appropriate reply is a grumbled 'get off my lawn'

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    This reminded me of a phrase I enjoy. "You're fine." This seems to have popped into existence within the past ten years or so (or, at least I cannot recall ever hearing it before that). In case it's not clear what I'm talking about, it's a phrase people use when you are interrupting or inconveniencing them, and you say, "sorry" or "I'm sorry." They immediately shoot back "You're fine."

I can't explain why I like this. It just makes me feel good. Although they are really trying to say that you are not an annoyance to them, or that your current action is not disturbing to them, the phrase comes across as much broader. So, I'm fine? Everything about me is suddenly OK? I like that.
    This is pure speculation, but I feel like "you're fine" (or it's alternate version, "you're good") started taking root as a response to an apology around the time "my bad" started becoming a common way to apologize. They seem to fit nicely as a pair and I suspect they started popping up around the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

I guess there is nothing particularly heinous about "gotcha," but give it a rest already!
    Gotcha!

... Annoying, but not exactly on the same levels as all the above, someone saying, 'can I ask you a question?' and then asking it anyway. Why not just ask the question? I know it is intended to be polite, but I'm often tempted to say, 'no" ...
    My favorite "I thought of the rejoinder in time" moment came when I left my polling place on election day and an exit pollster approached me and said "Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?".

I never broke stride, smiled broadly, and said cheerfully "of course" and kept walking.

The guy stopped and sort of put out his hands and looked confused, and someone else neaby who was handing out campaign literature cackled with laughter and explained it to the pollster, saying "of course he minds".

Wife asking: “can we talk for a sec?”

§#|¥. There goes the blood pressure.

Ya gotta love it!

Annoying, but not exactly on the same levels as all the above, someone saying, 'can I ask you a question?' and then asking it anyway. Why not just ask the question? I know it is intended to be polite, but I'm often tempted to say, 'no".
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I once had an interview where the interviewer asked me "can I ask you a question" before each question. At that point in the process, I was fairly sure I had no interest in working for the company, but I managed to restrain myself and not make a smart-aleck remark like "that's generally what one does in an interview" or "no." Several years later we ended up working in the same department at a different company but he did not remember me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    My favorite "I thought of the rejoinder in time" moment came when I left my polling place on election day and an exit pollster approached me and said "Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?".

I never broke stride, smiled broadly, and said cheerfully "of course" and kept walking.

The guy stopped and sort of put out his hands and looked confused, and someone else neaby who was handing out campaign literature cackled with laughter and explained it to the pollster, saying "of course he minds".
    The appropriate retort to, "Can I ask you a question?" is "You just did." or "That's one, do you want to go for a second?" I sometimes do this at work with people in my group, along with a smile so they know I'm just messing around. Also with my kids.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

A pet peeve of mine is "utilize" in place of "use".

Quote Originally Posted by VA_BDevil View Post
    A pet peeve of mine is "utilize" in place of "use".
    Similarly, I’ve noticed that flight attendants like to say “at this time” instead of “now”.

“ whatever”

👋👋👋👋👋👋👋👋👋👋👋👋👋👋👋

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Similarly, I’ve noticed that flight attendants like to say “at this time” instead of “now”.
    "I hate when the pilot comes on the cockpit radio and announces that 'we will be on the ground shortly.' That's a little vague, don't you think?"

-- George Carlin (more or less)

Anyone else have an issue with "at this point in time?"

What's wrong with "at this point?"

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Anyone else have an issue with "at this point in time?"

What's wrong with "at this point?"
    That's soooo Watergate.
    Also, what's wrong with at this time?
    Keep on keeping us honest, literally and literate-ly, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I have also become exhausted by the word "super." "Very" or "quite" are just fine. Oh, and "epic" can go away, please.
    This ("super") has begun to drive me crazy, especially as I find it most often used by people who are trying to sound smart. "What has me super excited...", "That's super interesting..."

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I'm long-familiar with "uptalk" but had never heard of "vocal fry" till this thread.

I've noticed that certain upper middle class women -- think of a mid-30s mom wearing aviator sunglasses pulling up to a very expensive private elementary in a very big SUV (and blocking my path to work, but I digress) -- using what seems to be an affected raspiness: "Jen, you are a rock star for agreeing to get Zooey/Chloe ..." Is that affected raspiness "vocal fry"? A subset of "vocal fry" or on the continuum towards "vocal fry"? Or is "vocal fry" something more egregious? The examples I'm seeing on YouTube make "vocal fry" seem like a more extreme sound (though equally annoying as the affected raspiness I've noticed).
    The Kardashians have basically taken vocal fry mainstream. I have always associated it with Southern California and think it's kind of funny because it's so ridiculous. Google the former recurring SNL skit "The Californians".

As for certain upper middle class women, they have (I assume they are the culprits) introduced a few language habits that drive me up the wall. One is the reference to any group of women friends as "ladies". I see this all the time in social media comments such as the ones adorning a photo of a birthday dinner out, "I love these gorgeous ladies". And, forget "gorgeous", I can't count how often a selfie or other photo of a women in said demographic elicits the comment, "stunning!". Ugh!

A word I feel has lost its mojo is "fascinating". So many people find so many things fascinating that I have to think most of them are merely interesting. "Genius" is another term being thrown around a little too casually.

"Cisgender" and "Gender Non Binary" are terms I am seeing everywhere and use with my parents who can't seem to wrap their minds around their origin and implication.

As for words I like:
    ersatz, manque, Krzyzewski, sycophant, zaftig, simpleton...there are so many!

"I could care less" when you mean "I couldn't care less".

Really? So you care at least a little?

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    "I could care less" when you mean "I couldn't care less".

Really? So you care at least a little?
    Two thumbs up.

Ersatz, sycophant, and zaftig are great! Reminded me that I am also fond of erstwhile.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Ok I now remeber my absolute favorite word!

Colloquial! I love to use it!

How has nobody said onomatopoeia? It's fun to say...
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking