Page 44 of 67 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Exasperate...

...when the writer means to say 'exacerbate' - drives me nuts. Saw this today on a nursing web site while trying to research something about coronavirus ad closed the tab in disgust

“Pipe down?”

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Good one. I need to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I hear the voice of my father, speaking to me when I was eight. That was one of his absolute favorites.

I hear the voice of Cheri Oteri:

That's hilarious. Worst fake southern accent I've ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    That's hilarious. Worst fake southern accent I've ever heard.
    You need to see Knives Out then. (Which I liked, but — c’mon Mr. Craig!)

Swells. As in:

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Harvard President and his wife now have the virus, so even the swells are involved.
    Great slap term.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You need to see Knives Out then. (Which I liked, but — c’mon Mr. Craig!)
    My wife was watching that. One listen to Daniel Craig doing a southern accent and I couldn't watch. Who thought that was a good idea?

fomites-"objects or materials which are likely to carry infection, such as clothes, utensils, and furniture."

("Early 19th century from Latin, plural of fomes, literally ‘touchwood, tinder’.")
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    fomites-"objects or materials which are likely to carry infection, such as clothes, utensils, and furniture."
    And these days, door handles, keyboards, phones...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

("Early 19th century from Latin, plural of fomes, literally ‘touchwood, tinder’.")
    A great word when pronounced properly (Foam-ih-tees, not Foh-mights).

The improper singular (Foh-might) annoys me. The proper singular (Foe-mees) is almost never used. I may be the only person in our institution who uses it. English speakers have a real problem with the idea that a word that ends in "s" could be singular.

Along those lines, nares (Nair-ease) is the proper pronunciation of the medical word that means "nostrils." It's singular, naris (Nair-iss) also ends in "s."

I absolutely cannot stand it when doctors just remove the "s" from the plural and use "nare." There is no such thing as a nare. If you can't say it correctly, why not just say nostril?

OK, now the coronavirus pandemic has unearthed (or created) another word that I have grown to loathe in a very short amount of time.

Granularity.

Oh, and granular.

The way these words are being tossed about in the press briefings you would think they were either being paid for each use or perhaps that they had a side bet on about who could say them the most times. Blech!

I have no problem with the word granular in its traditional meaning; viz., "resembling or consisting of small grains or particles."
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

got a new one the other day, which surprised me: graupel.

I follow the weather closely, like to geek out on the National Weather Service discussions, but I had no clue what they were talking about when they issued a Hazardous Weather statement for graupel...huh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graupel

Once I looked it up, I knew what they were talking about...also called "soft hail" or snow pellets...just had another graupel flurry moments ago, tiny little balls that look like styrofoam...graupel is evidently German for sleet, but it's nothing like sleet...

got a new one the other day, which surprised me: graupel.

I follow the weather closely, like to geek out on the National Weather Service discussions, but I had no clue what they were talking about when they issued a Hazardous Weather statement for graupel...huh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graupel

Once I looked it up, I knew what they were talking about...also called "soft hail" or snow pellets...just had another graupel flurry moments ago, tiny little balls that look like styrofoam...graupel is evidently German for sleet, but it's nothing like sleet...
    If you're a weather geek, check out the Washington Post's Capital Weather Gang. Even if you don't care about DC weather, they look at a lot of other areas and weather phenomena.

-jk

^ good stuff. I don't know if it's even possible any more, but our National Weather Service office in our airport was happy to have people pop in and see what they do...really interesting people...getting by, in many cases, with equipment that is absolutely ancient...

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    ...when the writer means to say 'exacerbate' - drives me nuts. Saw this today on a nursing web site while trying to research something about coronavirus ad closed the tab in disgust
    My first boss after business school frequently used the word "exasturbate" which both amused and depressed us.

My first boss after business school frequently used the word "exasturbate" which both amused and depressed us.

That's what we engage in every MBB season when the "Minutes" thread is started.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Reading Proust's "In Search of Lost Time" (if you are an old-timer, you might know it better as "Remembrance of Things Past"). In any case, I have found several great words over the past couple of weeks. Here I report just two of these:

1) crapulous. I had never heard this before, but apparently it is well known enough that there are t-shirts with this word on it. If you are among the uninitiated, it means "caused by or showing the effects of alcohol." From the Latin crapulosus meaning excessive drinking, inebriation, intoxication. This seems too good to be true, but it is actually true. You could look it up.

2) gimcrack. "Flimsy or poorly made but deceptively attractive." As a noun, it means "a cheap and showy ornament; a knickknack."
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Learned a new word today, so time to bump the thread.

Pareidoliac, who is someone prone to pareidolia, which is the tendency for incorrect perception of a stimulus as an object, pattern or meaning known to the observer, such as seeing shapes in clouds, seeing faces in inanimate objects or abstract patterns, or hearing hidden messages in music. Beatles fans take note.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

It is a subcategory of apophenia (another new word), which is the tendency to mistakenly perceive connections and meaning between unrelated things. See a lot of that nowadays.

Credit to the article that brought this new word to my universe:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ucg?li=BBnb7Kz

I still like “ Ya’ll “..."or “Y’all” or “You all”

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    I still like “ Ya’ll “..."or “Y’all” or “You all”
    Third person plural is standard in many languages. I wholly endorse all of these.

And then there’s “all y’all” for when it’s a bigger plural than just a few.