Page 41 of 67 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
    Came across this new word (for me) today, and am gobsmacked that no one has posted it yet:

Logophile.

A lover of words.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Came across this new word (for me) today, and am gobsmacked that no one has posted it yet:

Logophile.

A lover of words.
    I thought that was someone who liked corporate symbols.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I thought that was someone who liked corporate symbols.
    No, that would be a Logo-o-phile.

Maybe someone who loves wood? Wood, Jerry. Wood!

The utility of prefixes and suffixes should be reconsidered. I don't like words that seem like the first user was just too lazy to come up with a better word and stuck a prefix on an existing word that was doing quite nicely on its own. Suddenly we have this awkward, bland excuse for a word hanging around in the lexicon. Deplane and deboat are good examples. Why do these words even exist? The misuse of un- for example when mis- should be used, and similar examples, pose the very real danger of other awkward words infiltrating and disrupting the rhythm of proper English. Apparently there is a tipping point when popular usage a of word becomes so widespread that it forces the Websters and Oxford folks to simply ADD IT TO THE LIST! I swear to God those people are just ruining the language. Oh the irony.
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 12-11-2019 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Apparently there is a tipping point when popular usage a of word becomes so widespread that it forces the Websters and Oxford folks to simply ADD IT TO THE LIST! I swear to God those people are just ruining the language.
    muldoon.jpg

"They should all be destroyed."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    The utility of prefixes and suffixes should be reconsidered. I don't like words that seem like the first user was just too lazy to come up with a better word and stuck a prefix on an existing word that was doing quite nicely on its own. Suddenly we have this awkward, bland excuse for a word hanging around in the lexicon. Deplane and deboat are good examples. Why do these words even exist? The misuse of un- for example when mis- should be used, and similar examples, pose the very real danger of other awkward words infiltrating and disrupting the rhythm of proper English. Apparently there is a tipping point when popular usage a of word becomes so widespread that it forces the Websters and Oxford folks to simply ADD IT TO THE LIST! I swear to God those people are just ruining the language. Oh the irony.
    Yep. That is simply ungood.

Maybe someone who loves wood?
    [Archer]Phrasing![/Archer]

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    muldoon.jpg

"They should all be destroyed."
    Velociraptor. I really like the word velociraptor.

Here is a great word I learned the other day. Appalachiosaurus - a real thing from my area.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachiosaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Here is a great word I learned the other day. Appalachiosaurus - a real thing from my area.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachiosaurus
    Sounds like it should be the name of a ride at Dollywood!

Learned these recently:

euonym (n.) - a name well suited to the person, place, or thing named
    caconym (n.) - an incorrect (or linguistically undesirable) name for something, especially in taxonomic classification

Learned these recently:

caconym (n.) - an incorrect (or linguistically undesirable) name for something, especially in taxonomic classification
    That reminded me of a word I have mixed feelings about. Cacophony. Like the word, dislike what it means.

Learned these recently:

Famously* screamed letter by letter to win someone a National spelling bee.

*can anything truly be described as "famously" when in reference to the National spelling bee?
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

"sanguine" should mean something different than it does. Sort of a light melancholy foreboding.

How the hell does it mean optimistic?

That reminded me of a word I have mixed feelings about. Cacophony. Like the word, dislike what it means.
    Don't say that loudly.

"sanguine" should mean something different than it does. Sort of a light melancholy foreboding.

How the hell does it mean optimistic?
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...e-word-history :-)

From the link:

During the Middle Ages, health and temperament were believed to be governed by the balance of different liquids, or humors, in one's body. If any of those four humors – phlegm, black bile (also called melancholy), yellow bile (or choler), and blood – predominated, then your disposition and health were said to be ruled by that humor.

People who were calm, slow, undemonstrative, and unexcitable were thought to have an abundance of phlegm – they were governed by that humor and were therefore phlegmatic. Those who were bilious had a bad disposition because of the large amount of yellow or black bile in their system. But those lucky people who were governed by blood were strong, confident, and ruddy (all that blood, you know) – in a word, sanguine.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

From the link:

During the Middle Ages, health and temperament were believed to be governed by the balance of different liquids, or humors, in one's body. If any of those four humors – phlegm, black bile (also called melancholy), yellow bile (or choler), and blood – predominated, then your disposition and health were said to be ruled by that humor.

People who were calm, slow, undemonstrative, and unexcitable were thought to have an abundance of phlegm – they were governed by that humor and were therefore phlegmatic. Those who were bilious had a bad disposition because of the large amount of yellow or black bile in their system. But those lucky people who were governed by blood were strong, confident, and ruddy (all that blood, you know) – in a word, sanguine.
    Thanks, that was informative and -- humorous.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

From the link:

Thanks, that was informative and -- humorous.
    At least rsvman doesn't subscribe to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodletting

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Listening to NPR on the way home from work yesterday I heard two "words" that I found amusing and/or annoying.

The first was "event-ize." This was in a segment about live television shows and why they are becoming more popular. Apparently the producers want to make the tv show on a particular night into an "event." Therefore, they want to "event-ize" the episode. Yuck!

Now I'm blanking on what the second one was! Dang it. If it comes to me later, I'll come back and post it. It was good. Sorry about this turning into the proverbial "I'll tell you tomorrow" post.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

I enjoy yelling the word pianissimo as loud as I can.