Page 33 of 67 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    "Food desert." Stop.
    I disagree. I feel it describes a very specific thing that needs better awareness, and does it pretty well.

Food dessert on the other hand sounds like fun...

i have not read this whole thread, but the most versatile word i can't say here....starts with "f" and rhymes with "duck". just think of all the applications.

if i get suspended from this site, i hope it doesn't last through basketball season. lol

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    i have not read this whole thread, but the most versatile word i can't say here...starts with "f" and rhymes with "duck". just think of all the applications.

if i get suspended from this site, i hope it doesn't last through basketball season. lol
    Probably my least favorite word of all. Many, many applications; all of them inappropriate (IMO). Way too many otherwise good television shows, movies, and songs have been ruined (for me) by the overly frequent and completely unnecessary use of this word.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Probably my least favorite word of all. Many, many applications; all of them inappropriate (IMO). Way too many otherwise good television shows, movies, and songs have been ruined (for me) by the overly frequent and completely unnecessary use of this word.
    The F-word does not usually bother me, as it seems to be used frequently in informal speech these days. I did attend a talk by director Kevin Smith (Clerks) a few years ago and he could not utter a sentence without using the F-word (sometimes multiple times per sentence). It became tiring and annoying.

In summary, not a word I dislike or really like. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post

My mileage is similar to this. It occasionally has its utility. For instance, I have seriously contemplated getting the vanity plate FBOGEYS.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

The F-word does not usually bother me, as it seems to be used frequently in informal speech these days. I did attend a talk by director Kevin Smith (Clerks) a few years ago and he could not utter a sentence without using the F-word (sometimes multiple times per sentence). It became tiring and annoying.

Along these lines, the wife and I are watching Deadwood finally. There's a particular compound expletive which is used nonstop. The first several episodes, I found it incredibly distracting. Then I found it amusing for a few episodes. Now, it is just another feature of the way these characters speak to each other.

On a side note, the dialogue in that show is simply amazing. It makes me wonder if men and women actually used such elevated language with one another. The idiot mayor in particular seems to speak in a dialect far above his station in life. None of the characters seem particularly well educated. Is this something that is reflected in writing of that era? Or is it dramatic license taken by HBO?

akimbo

I've always been fascinated by this word. Incredibly descriptive, but really makes no sense. How did it get into our language?

I did a search of the word to make sure it hadn't been brought up before in this thread, and it had never even been used on the entire board! Well, at least I fixed one thing today. And it's only 9 in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    akimbo

I've always been fascinated by this word. Incredibly descriptive, but really makes no sense. How did it get into our language?

I did a search of the word to make sure it hadn't been brought up before in this thread, and it had never even been used on the entire board! Well, at least I fixed one thing today. And it's only 9 in the morning.
    True. It is wildly specific.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    akimbo

Apparently it's Middle English in origin, from "in kene bowe," or at a keen angle (bow). Not as exotic an origin as I would have thought.

As for the F word, I really like it and almost certainly overuse it.

and i didn't get f'ing suspended from DBR....at least not yet lol

and i didn't get f'ing suspended from DBR...at least not yet lol
    But, they know what you're thinking...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

and i didn't get f'ing suspended from DBR...at least not yet lol
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    But, they know what you're thinking...
    “Goes to show you just can’t trust mods.”

— future plimnko Valvano.

I saw this word in print over the weekend. Hang thought about it, heard it, it seem it in a long time.

craven

What an awesome word! I've got to try to get this into a conversation sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I saw this word in print over the weekend. Hang thought about it, heard it, it seem it in a long time.

craven

What an awesome word! I've got to try to get this into a conversation sometime soon.
    Easy. From last year's You Might Be A Redneck calendar:

I'm hongry and thirsty and I'm craven some barbeque and beer about now.

Easy. From last year's You Might Be A Redneck calendar:

I'm hongry and thirsty and I'm craven some barbeque and beer about now.

Some might say those rednecks are a craven lot.

Some might say those rednecks are craven a lot.
    I was fixin' to fix it for you. Now I done did it.

What do you get when you cross a cranberry with a raven? Well, besides a craven?
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    What do you get when you cross a cranberry with a raven? Well, besides a craven?
    A ravberry?

A ravberry?

I came up with several possibles, but not that one.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Edgar Allen Shrub?