Page 31 of 67 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Mount Olive's address is One Cucumber Blvd. in Mount Olive (NC). For those interested.
    So close...

"Mt. Olive Pickle Company, Inc., located at the Corner of Cucumber & Vine in Mount Olive, North Carolina"

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Mount Olive's address is One Cucumber Blvd. in Mount Olive (NC). For those interested.
    I relish that knowledge.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I relish that knowledge.
    You do realize you're a bit of a hot dog when it comes to puns, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    You do realize you're a bit of a hot dog when it comes to puns, right?
    Ding, ding! We have our wiener!!

Ding, ding! We have our wiener!!
    In a thread on words, I should have sausage a turn of events coming.

In a thread on words, I should have sausage a turn of events coming.
    Yep, going from bad to wurst.

Yep, going from bad to wurst.
    Quit acting like such a brat.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    To be fair, dd deserves kudos for mustarding up the courage to express his onion in a semi-public forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    To be fair, dd deserves kudos for mustarding up the courage to express his onion in a semi-public forum.
    Sorry for delayed response. I've bun busy in clinic all day, you know, grilling patients about their problems. Playing catchup on this thread now.

Sorry for delayed response. I've bun busy in clinic all day, you know, grilling patients about their problems. Playing CATSUP on this thread now.
    Fixed it for you, although I think "catsup" is now the archaic spelling, and the phonetic spelling "ketchup" has become the official spelling. Millennials are so lame.

Speaking of phonetic versus non-phonetic spellings, I wanted to raise the issue of the word "often." Where I come from, and in the time in which I grew up, we pronounced this word with a silent "t." In other words, we said "OFF-un." Everybody said it this way.

Over time, I began to hear people pronounce the "t," and say it like this: "OFF-tun." It sounded absolutely ridiculous. It didn't even sound like English to me. Now, I hear it pronounced this way more and more. It seems like people saying it this way may now outnumber those of us who say it properly.

Interestingly, I don't hear those same people pronouncing soften "SOFF-tun." I don't hear them saying "LISS-tun." I don't hear "GLISS-tun." I hear "SOFF-un, LISS-un, and GLISS-un, appropriately. So, whence "OFF-tun"? I don't get it.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    ... we pronounced this word with a silent "t." ...
    Bryan Garner agrees: https://www.lawprose.org/lawprose-le...nounced-words/

After dealing with a few customers in the last 8 hours, my favorite word for today is “fidiot”.

Fixed it for you, although I think "catsup" is now the archaic spelling, and the phonetic spelling "ketchup" has become the official spelling. Millennials are so lame.

Speaking of phonetic versus non-phonetic spellings, I wanted to raise the issue of the word "often." Where I come from, and in the time in which I grew up, we pronounced this word with a silent "t." In other words, we said "OFF-un." Everybody said it this way.

Over time, I began to hear people pronounce the "t," and say it like this: "OFF-tun." It sounded absolutely ridiculous. It didn't even sound like English to me. Now, I hear it pronounced this way more and more. It seems like people saying it this way may now outnumber those of us who say it properly.

Interestingly, I don't hear those same people pronouncing soften "SOFF-tun." I don't hear them saying "LISS-tun." I don't hear "GLISS-tun." I hear "SOFF-un, LISS-un, and GLISS-un, appropriately. So, whence "OFF-tun"? I don't get it.
    Thanks! (LOL) I wasn't sure which misspelling I should use to convey my ill-advised punning.

Put me in the silent "t" group with the group of words you mention above.

Next issue/queation: Why are blood and brood pronounced differently?

Thanks! (LOL) I wasn't sure which misspelling I should use to convey my ill-advised punning.

Tough, though, through, thought, trough...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    George Carlin did a whole (hilarious) bit about this. I’ll try to track it down on the YouTubes.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

swarf:
    Spoiler!

swage:
    Spoiler!

I used spoiler tags because I want folks to do an honest appraisal of whether or not they know the words. One I think many (though not necessarily most) will know, while the other I doubt many will know. I like both of these and I think they are fun because each is only typically known to people that have a familiarity with a certain subject area and yet they're simple, monosyllabic words. Also, let's be honest, they sound funny. There are other definitions for the latter word that I expect are etymologically related to the definition I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    Oh my! You just hit one of my nerves, "ough" words. Some examples:

bough
    cough
    dough
    enough
    furlough
    hiccough
    plough
    rough
    though
    tough

And many more.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Oh my! You just hit one of my nerves, "ough" words. Some examples:

bough
    cough
    dough
    enough
    furlough
    hiccough
    plough
    rough
    though
    tough

And many more.
    "...ugh."

Interesting points about "often." I suppose the contrary notion is that "after" and "often" are frequently used and everyone says "AFF-ter." I s'pose I go back and forth on the pronunciation of "often." If I am giving a speech (some people say that all my conversations are "speeches") or leaving a phone message, I tend to focus on diction and say "OFF-ten."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Interesting points about "often." I suppose the contrary notion is that "after" and "often" are frequently used and everyone says "AFF-ter." I s'pose I go back and forth on the pronunciation of "often." If I am giving a speech (some people say that all my conversations are "speeches") or leaving a phone message, I tend to focus on diction and say "OFF-ten."
    "After" is not directly analogous, whereas "soften" is. Listen and glisten are other examples that are much more closely related to "often." Your attempt at focusing on diction will come off to many people as just a very careful mispronunciation. ;-)
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust