Page 27 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    To paraphrase Mark Twain, I have little love for five dollar words where fifty cent words will do. Unfortunately, as a lawyer, I routinely encounter writing seemingly designed to be as "expensive" as possible - insert the billable hour joke of your choice here.

Yesterday, I came across the verb phrase "preponderates in favor of". Now, I studied Latin for years and love how classical roots can give precision and nuance to English words, often allowing one word to suffice where multiple words would otherwise be needed. Concatenate, a word I had not seen before CameronBlue posted above, is a good example of this. Here, however, "weighs" can be substituted in for "preponderates" with precisely zero change in meaning. Ugh.

Favorite word: onomatopoeia.

Favorite city name: Gnadenhutten.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDevil View Post
    Concatenate, a word I had not seen before CameronBlue posted above, is a good example of this.
    I was a bit confused when CameronBlue mentioned concatenate and surprised to hear you hadn't seen/didn't know it. I would be interested if others reading the thread weren't familiar with it or have rarely heard it.

My surprise comes from the fact that I have known, read, and used the word regularly for a very long time. I wonder, is that just because of exposure to programming? Concatenation is one of the first things learned in any sort of programming (or generally coding, scripting, mark-up - the whole wide range) language.

podcast

Hate it.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    I was a bit confused when CameronBlue mentioned concatenate and surprised to hear you hadn't seen/didn't know it. I would be interested if others reading the thread weren't familiar with it or have rarely heard it.

My surprise comes from the fact that I have known, read, and used the word regularly for a very long time. I wonder, is that just because of exposure to programming? Concatenation is one of the first things learned in any sort of programming (or generally coding, scripting, mark-up - the whole wide range) language.
    I couldn't program my way out of a paper bag and know absolutely nothing about it. I have heard the word concatenation before, but I don't think I have ever actually used it, and I haven't heard it in a very long time.

Based on my experience alone, I suspect that if you don't do programming, concatenation is not a word that you would expect to run across very often.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I couldn't program my way out of a paper bag and know absolutely nothing about it. I have heard the word concatenation before, but I don't think I have ever actually used it, and I haven't heard it in a very long time.

Based on my experience alone, I suspect that if you don't do programming, concatenation is not a word that you would expect to run across very often.
    I don't think I had ever heard the word until I discovered the CONCAT function in Excel. It came in very handy at the time.

Hot take

Here’s the thing

Stumbled across this article when I was trying to find correct attribution for one of these phrases and thought it was interesting. The title is misquoted Bible phrases, but most are not even close.

https://www.deseretnews.com/top/802/...e-phrases.html

Didn't want to start a new thread so stuck it here. Not single words, but who among us hasn't used all of these phrases?

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Stumbled across this article when I was trying to find correct attribution for one of these phrases and thought it was interesting. The title is misquoted Bible phrases, but most are not even close.

https://www.deseretnews.com/top/802/...e-phrases.html

Didn't want to start a new thread so stuck it here. Not single words, but who among us hasn't used all of these phrases?
    When I was a youngster I thought one of the popular songs at our church was "Bringing in the Cheese."

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    When I was a youngster I thought one of the popular songs at our church was "Bringing in the Cheese."
    That's enough to make anyone come rejoicing.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    That's enough to make anyone come rejoicing.
    Especially Wallace and Gromit.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    We had a young pre-school age young man come to church with his grandmother. After Sunday school and church, he asked her who the Cheezit guy was that they kept talking about. Fast forward to when he was kindergarten age - he would sit by himself during the service so he could concentrate on the sermon without his little brother bothering him.

Here's a dichotomy: These are words I like, but people who characterize them I dislike.

Vainglorious
    Bumptious
    Perfidious
    Overweening (especially fun since there is no such word as weening)

P.S. This is not a political statement.

A new word among my favorites: avalanche.

This is because it's the only Romansch (a dialect derived from Latin and 1 of the 4 national languages spoken in Switzerland) word to make its way into English, and via French (which is one of the other national languages of Switzerland) at that.

As of the TT game..."offensive foul"

Offensive indeed....

Thousands of years ago...

Or perhaps just over 19. See this reading list featuring an incredible word: chrestomathy.

Also mentioned here.

“Trash” as descriptive noun. (Is that a thing?)

I hear young people especially using this word to describe what they think of certain people, particular in context of sports. To me, it indicates jealousy, ignorance or both.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

When my Momma told me to take out the trash....that’s exactly what I did without any hesitation

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    When my Momma told me to take out the trash...that’s exactly what I did without any hesitation
    "...or you don't get no spending cash..."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    "...or you don't get no spending cash..."
    More Yakity Yack on the board I see . . . .