Page 26 of 67 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    I become irrationally angry when I hear technology-related terms discussed in a business context as singular nouns without a preceding modifier. The general trend is something foisted onto society by evil marketing teams.

Common example that only bothers me a bit: "We are leaders in Cloud."

It's not a brand, doofus.

An example that has, to my great dismay, bled into pure technology discussions: "...the potential of blockchain to transform..."

IT'S NOT A BRAND, YOU MONSTERS
    That techno pseudo jargon reminds me of the phrases we'd typically hear on laddering calls when we were trying to force rank employees for promotions and annual ratings:
    "He really knocked it out of the park."
    "He's a real rock star."
    "I can't say enough good things about her."
    "She excelled in her role."

None give you any tangible data to compare to others and were just empty platitudes.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    With your attitude you probably don't even like a nice toss salad!
    Hey Bud, this is a family board. You better watch what you say!

(If you don't know what I'm referring to, check Google and the Urban Dictionary result)

And who doesn't like a nice tossed salad!
    Last edited by Rich; 11-01-2018 at 01:42 PM.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Perhaps it has already been mentioned, but I would go to court over the most unnecessary BS word widely used today, and that is "incentivize." The word incent already exists, and performs the same task.
    It's like taking the verb walk, and changing it to walkerize...totally pointless. For years people have incented other people to do things, now they have to incentivize them?

Perhaps it has already been mentioned, but I would go to court over the most unnecessary BS word widely used today, and that is "incentivize." The word incent already exists, and performs the same task.
    It's like taking the verb walk, and changing it to walkerize...totally pointless. For years people have incented other people to do things, now they have to incentivize them?
    Kinda like wanker and wankerize?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Hey now, let's allow people to utilize whatever words they choose when conversating.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Not sure if this one has been covered, but nothing boils my blood like someone saying a news source is "bias." Bias is a noun. Biased is the verb. You HAVE bias. You ARE biased.

Rant over.
    Pretty sure biased is an adjective in your example.

Quote Originally Posted by dball View Post
    Correct. As a verb, it would be what Len did to Tar Heels.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    The name of my boat:

Callipygous.

Now I just need a boat.
    With a nice stern.

A word I used today, but sadly found myself having to define: foment. Perfect for most organizations or communities.

If I Can't Say It, I Don't Like It

Have we covered "assuage" and "hitherto" as most hated words? Turns out, I was pronouncing them wrong for years -- more like decades -- 'cuz my only exposure was in the printed word. I did get some funny looks.

I should also bring up Audi and Acura. I bought the former when they were first introduced in the US of A in 1971 and referred to the car as an "AWE-dee." Took at least a year to get the right pronunciation, which I believe is "OW-dee." Similarly, I bought the first of several Acuras in 1988. Had the darnedest time getting that word right too. Kept saying "ah-CURE-ah," instead of "ACK-you-rah." Now that I think about it, maybe I am still saying these words wrong, although I like the words (and cars) just fine.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I should also bring up Audi and Acura. I bought the former when they were first introduced in the US of A in 1971 and referred to the car as an "AWE-dee." Took at least a year to get the right pronunciation, which I believe is "OW-dee." Similarly, I bought the first of several Acuras in 1988. Had the darnedest time getting that word right too. Kept saying "ah-CURE-ah," instead of "ACK-you-rah." Now that I think about it, maybe I am still saying these words wrong, although I like the words (and cars) just fine.
    While Verizon seems ubiquitous (another great word!) these days, I remember first seeing (and not hearing) advertising in 2000 when it was first launched. Without hearing the name I started calling it "VERY-zon". That was short lived as we were all soon bombarded with TV ads with the correct pronunciation.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    With a nice stern.

A word I used today, but sadly found myself having to define: foment. Perfect for most organizations or communities.
    'must be waves, 'cause current don't foment like that'.

Bowl eligible, I like that...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Bowl eligible, I like that...
    Tar Heels. Time to amp up the hate to eleven.

Shambolic. Nice.

Clemsoning has a nice ring (though we're too good for a loss to us be considered Clemsoning, in my opinion). But that won't stop others from using it!

Jumping in late so apologies if these words have already been covered. Good writers are playing with fire IMO if they use either "jejune" or "concatenate". I will tolerate the latter, actually it's a word I quite like. But there's not a writer in the world who has the poetic license to use jejune. It just never works IMO. It's disruptive, it's jarring and it makes me retch. It's not that it's the height of literary snobbishness--I just don't think it can be used effectively*
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 11-19-2018 at 07:15 AM. Reason: * Unless you desire to be known as the Don Rickles of your literary peers.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Jumping in late so apologies if these words have already been covered. Good writers are playing with fire IMO if they use either "jejune" or "concatenate". I will tolerate the latter, actually it's a word I quite like. But there's not a writer in the world who has the poetic license to use jejune. It just never works IMO. It's disruptive, it's jarring and it makes me retch. It's not that it's the height of literary snobbishness--I just don't think it can be used effectively*
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btDqtCGIgGY

LOL.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Y'all will get a kick out of definitions 2 and 3:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jejune

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Y'all will get a kick out of definitions 2 and 3:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jejune
    Hilarious, I've never seen Love and Death, brilliant. When I was an editor I had a guest contributor turn in a literary review in which he used "jejune". Oh, god...I couldn't bear it. The only reason I let it go was because he was a brilliant writer otherwise, a Princeton grad, just a sweet, unpretentious guy, and it was a literary review after all. Moreover he was battling a crippling bi-polar condition which had left him exposed and vulnerable to the slightest criticism.
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 11-20-2018 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dball View Post
    There's a reason I got an engineering degree.
    "There can BE only one."