Page 20 of 39 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 400 of 770
  1. #381
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Durham
    Watching the Open Championship golf the other week reminded me that I love it when golfers hit the ball into a gorse bush and I love hearing the announcers talking about it. I really like the word "gorse". I've never seen an actual gorse bush in person, however.

  2. #382
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    Watching the Open Championship golf the other week reminded me that I love it when golfers hit the ball into a gorse bush and I love hearing the announcers talking about it. I really like the word "gorse". I've never seen an actual gorse bush in person, however.
    Anything like a "bustle in your hedgerow?"

    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  3. #383
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    I hate the words blessed and blessing. Not sure why but I suppose it reminds me of people thinking God when they hit a homerun or win an Oscar.
    I suppose you meant "thanking" God rather than "thinking" God?


    And do you mean you hate it when somebody says something like, "Have a blessed day," or is it more when somebody says, "Having our grandchildren visit for the holidays was such a blessing," or do you hate both equally?

    I don't mind the latter, but the former I find vaguely irritating.
    A plane takes off from Baltimore and touches down on Bourbon Street

  4. #384
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Anything like a "bustle in your hedgerow?"

    Alarming.
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

  5. #385
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    The etymology of my call name, CrazyNotCrazie, is derived from a pet peeve of mine (plus it is a good excuse to use the word etymology, which is a personal favorite). I have always been bothered by the clothing sold at Duke that says "Cameron Crazie." The singular of "Crazies" is "Crazy" - I am a Cameron Crazy, not a Cameron Crazie. I really wish they would get that right. This is not my biggest problem in life, but it does offend my sensibilities.

  6. #386
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    The etymology of my call name, CrazyNotCrazie, is derived from a pet peeve of mine (plus it is a good excuse to use the word etymology, which is a personal favorite). I have always been bothered by the clothing sold at Duke that says "Cameron Crazie." The singular of "Crazies" is "Crazy" - I am a Cameron Crazy, not a Cameron Crazie. I really wish they would get that right. This is not my biggest problem in life, but it does offend my sensibilities.
    Good point. Crazie makes no sense.


    Anyway, I came back into this thread to add [Billy Mays voice] another FANTASTIC word [/Billy Mays voice]. And the word is "stochastic." I freaking love this word.
    A plane takes off from Baltimore and touches down on Bourbon Street

  7. #387
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Congeal. Sounds like what it is.
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

  8. #388
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    ... I've never seen an actual gorse bush in person, however.
    Wasn't Gorse Bush the commander-in-chief when Popeye served in the Navy from 1989-1993.

  9. #389
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Since proper form of a word has come up, one that ALWAYS makes me stop for an extra few seconds and think is affect vs. effect.

  10. #390
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Wasn't Gorse Bush the commander-in-chief when Popeye served in the Navy from 1989-1993.
    Or was it one of his brothers? 🤔

  11. #391
    I dislike words that now is so often used in a way opposite of what they used to mean...spendthrift for example. When used in politics today, means a big government spender. It used to mean tightwad, or perhaps exceedingly prudent.

    Then there is supposably, which in some circles is accepted as suitable for supposedly. People who use that first firm normally have no idea what ostensibly means.

    Of course, there's this:

    Jeff Foxworthy: MAYONNAISE

    "...may-naise some big hooters on that waitress..."
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  12. #392
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Just thought of a few more I like: irascible, cantankerous, curmudgeon.
    A plane takes off from Baltimore and touches down on Bourbon Street

  13. #393
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Just thought of a few more I like: irascible, cantankerous, curmudgeon.
    Thank you.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  14. #394
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Just thought of a few more I like: irascible, cantankerous, curmudgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Thank you.
    I thought this was a thread about words you like, not traits that describe dd.

    But I'll add -- "heart-healthy"
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 08-03-2018 at 09:22 AM.
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

  15. #395
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Just thought of a few more I like: irascible, cantankerous, curmudgeon.
    I'm detecting a trend here.

  16. #396
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Related -- I'm waiting for someone to post a downloadable, 3-D printer IPA. Someone needs to get on that pronto.
    This reminded me that in the past week or so, I've seen waaaay too many people --including politicians and journalists-- say or write "3D guns"... you know, as if guns have been 2D up until now, haha. Whether one supports or doesn't support them (and this is obviously not an invitation to debate PPB), one should use the word "printed" in there when referring to these guns.

  17. #397
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'm detecting a trend here.
    Damn, I resemble that trend. 😫🤓😎

  18. #398
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    This reminded me that in the past week or so, I've seen waaaay too many people --including politicians and journalists-- say or write "3D guns"... you know, as if guns have been 2D up until now, haha. Whether one supports or doesn't support them (and this is obviously not an invitation to debate PPB), one should use the word "printed" in there when referring to these guns.
    Yeah, this type of thing really irks me. Is it laziness? Ignorance? Do people think it has a better sound to it in some way?

    Whenever I hear a truncated phrase like that, I also get the strong impression that the person isn't saying anything worthwhile. It's like a signal for "I have no idea what I'm talking about." You'd think that'd be something the speaker would want to avoid. It strikes me as similar to some of the odd marketing-isms/business-speak people use these days (unnecessary portmanteaus and that weird noun-to-verb analogue of nominalization).

    I rarely look at Twitter but I was reading some posts late last night and had a disturbing thought. What if the character limit on tweets exerts a small, but widespread and long-standing bias toward truncating words and phrases such that we are exposed to this sort of thing more and more?

  19. #399
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    I rarely look at Twitter but I was reading some posts late last night and had a disturbing thought. What if the character limit on tweets exerts a small, but widespread and long-standing bias toward truncating words and phrases such that we are exposed to this sort of thing more and more?
    I think that ship sailed a long time ago, with text messaging the wind source.

  20. #400
    Quote Originally Posted by blpog View Post
    yeah, this type of thing really irks me. Is it laziness? Ignorance? Do people think it has a better sound to it in some way?

    Whenever i hear a truncated phrase like that, i also get the strong impression that the person isn't saying anything worthwhile. It's like a signal for "i have no idea what i'm talking about." you'd think that'd be something the speaker would want to avoid. It strikes me as similar to some of the odd marketing-isms/business-speak people use these days (unnecessary portmanteaus and that weird noun-to-verb analogue of nominalization).u8

    i rarely look at twitter but i was reading some posts late last night and had a disturbing thought. What if the character limit on tweets exerts a small, but widespread and long-standing bias toward truncating words and phrases such that we are exposed to this sort of thing more and more?
    lol wtf? Ok sur.

Similar Threads

  1. 11,875 Words
    By mr. synellinden in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-13-2013, 03:57 PM
  2. A few new words
    By cf-62 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-31-2012, 08:14 AM
  3. 1,000 words
    By CameronBornAndBred in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-16-2008, 06:06 PM
  4. Tell you what I dislike most about this NCAA men's tournament...
    By Kewlswim in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-25-2007, 07:20 PM
  5. Duke Dislike, part 14: the coach
    By johnb in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-21-2007, 01:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •