Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I've never heard it misused. Seriously.
    I've heard people use it when they mean to say the very best or the peak example of.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    The oft misused "penultimate."
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I've never heard it misused. Seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    I've heard people use it when they mean to say the very best or the peak example of.
    “In my opinion, Mont Blanc makes the most exquisite ink-filled writing instrument. It’s the penultimate.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I'm not a fan of using "myself" instead of "me", for instance, in the sentence "if you have any questions don't hesitate to contact Joe or myself." People these days don't know the difference between the subject of a sentence and the object of a sentence and so they're afraid of just using "me" because they're not sure and think it might be wrong. So they use "myself" instead of "me" which, according to Dictionary.com, is acceptable as an informal use, but I still don't like it.

As far as "me" and "I" are concerned, I've even been falsely chastised and corrected for correctly using "me" as the object (e.g., "Leave a message for Andy or me") by really bright, educated people who think it should be "...Andy or I". My manager uses "I" as the object of a sentence all the time, even in writing when she has a chance to review what she wrote and correct herself. I don't understand why people find this aspect of grammar so difficult. I hear smart people in all walks of life, including newscasters, reporters, and other television personalities, incorrectly use "I" as the object of a sentence and it drives me up a wall.

If you're doing it, it's "I"
    If it's being done to you, it's "me", not "I" or "myself"
    When in doubt, take out the other person and see if it sounds right
    Also, if the verb ‘to be’ is linking the subject with the pronoun it takes a subject pronoun (I, we, he, she, they) rather than an object pronoun (me, us, him, her, them).
    It was she and I. We are they. I am he. It should have been we.

On the other hand:
    He found her and me. We saw them. I spotted him. It caught us.

If it’s the object of a prepositional phrase use the object pronoun.
    It was for me. It was from her. It was for her and me. It is up to them.

Joe Schmo has made his last 15 free throws in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Good for him. It could have been I.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Which row? I imagine some present a more difficult shot than others ...

“Modern Classic” — puh-lease.

I refer those interested in the use and misuse of words to Edwin Newman's excellent two books.
    This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
    No trees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    “Modern Classic” — puh-lease.
    Is that worse than "instant classic?"

Over time on this board, I have become a particular fan of seeing the word “churlish.”
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Sooooo, you'd boycott these Attachment 8398ine Attachment 8398olks in Derm, purveyors of tasty ales:

Attachment 8398

As in:

Attachment 8398ullsteam Brewery.

I would, unless it's the Rocket Science IPA -- not a fan of much else...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I'm not a fan of using "myself" instead of "me", for instance, in the sentence "if you have any questions don't hesitate to contact Joe or myself." People these days...
    People vs. Persons?

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Over time on this board, I have become a particular fan of seeing the word “churlish.”
    Seeing the word used or brought to mind?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Seeing the word used or brought to mind?
    Used -- usually preceding some kind of fact-based, spot-on smack-down -- by the inimitable (another favorite word) Jim Sumner. I know Jim's about to bring the thunder when he starts a post with "Would it be churlish of me to suggest . . . . . "
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Used -- usually preceding some kind of fact-based, spot-on smack-down -- by the inimitable (another favorite word) Jim Sumner. I know Jim's about to bring the thunder when he starts a post with "Would it be churlish of me to suggest . . . . . "
    Good vocabulary permits economy of words and clarity in communication.

Just thought of another that I am fond of for no particular reason: supercilious.

Superfluous is pretty good, too, although it's sometimes a bit harder to say.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    I find "extraordinary" amusing when dissected.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I really like ... benevolent ...
    Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    ... Benevolent is a nice one as well.
    Didn't Jeb Bush have a funny line at his mother's funeral, where he quoted her as saying she ran a "benevolent dictatorship" and Jeb quipped something along the lines of "to be honest, it wasn't all that benevolent."

I finally got around to reading this thread because after watching the U.S. Open this weekend I have something to contribute.

Words I dislike/despise: Any word or phrase shouted by some nimrod after the player strikes his ball. This includes "bababooie", "dilly dilly", "you da man", "get it big guy", etc. A special spot in h*ll for anyone who screams "GET IN THE HOLE" after the tee shot on a par 5.

Since I don't want to be a complete downer, and since someone already noted "discombobulated" (how come no one is ever described as combobulated?), one of my favorite words is "cahoots". Partly because it really can't be used by itself, you have to be "in cahoots". Which is fun, because it means something is afoot. Which, btw, is another great word.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I finally got around to reading this thread because after watching the U.S. Open this weekend I have something to contribute.

Words I dislike/despise: Any word or phrase shouted by some nimrod after the player strikes his ball. This includes "bababooie", "dilly dilly", "you da man", "get it big guy", etc. A special spot in h*ll for anyone who screams "GET IN THE HOLE" after the tee shot on a par 5.

Since I don't want to be a complete downer, and since someone already noted "discombobulated" (how come no one is ever described as combobulated?), one of my favorite words is "cahoots". Partly because it really can't be used by itself, you have to be "in cahoots". Which is fun, because it means something is afoot. Which, btw, is another great word.
    Agree.

You Da Man!!