Page 11 of 67 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I refuse to shop or do business (if I can) at a place that intentionally misspelled it's name to seem cool/edgy or even worse... flips a letter backwards.

Examples:

X-treme
    Skool
    Kewl
    Pictures R Us (but the R would be backwards)
    What about if the name is misspelled to create a bad pun?

Is "bad pun" redundant?

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I refuse to shop or do business (if I can) at a place that intentionally misspelled it's name to seem cool/edgy or even worse... flips a letter backwards.

Examples:

X-treme
    Skool
    Kewl
    Pictures R Us (but the R would be backwards)
    Sooooo, you'd boycott these photo.jpgine photo.jpgolks in Derm, purveyors of tasty ales:

photo.jpg

As in:

photo.jpgullsteam Brewery.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    ... Is "bad pun" redundant?
    Some are so bad they're good, or at least oxymoronically comical. Like a "Carolina education."

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    ...Oxford comma, and two spaces after a period. Always.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philadukie View Post
    Agreed. That last comma is the difference between civilization and anarchy ...
    Godspeed.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Me, Myself, and I

I'm not a fan of using "myself" instead of "me", for instance, in the sentence "if you have any questions don't hesitate to contact Joe or myself." People these days don't know the difference between the subject of a sentence and the object of a sentence and so they're afraid of just using "me" because they're not sure and think it might be wrong. So they use "myself" instead of "me" which, according to Dictionary.com, is acceptable as an informal use, but I still don't like it.

As far as "me" and "I" are concerned, I've even been falsely chastised and corrected for correctly using "me" as the object (e.g., "Leave a message for Andy or me") by really bright, educated people who think it should be "...Andy or I". My manager uses "I" as the object of a sentence all the time, even in writing when she has a chance to review what she wrote and correct herself. I don't understand why people find this aspect of grammar so difficult. I hear smart people in all walks of life, including newscasters, reporters, and other television personalities, incorrectly use "I" as the object of a sentence and it drives me up a wall.

If you're doing it, it's "I"
    If it's being done to you, it's "me", not "I" or "myself"
    When in doubt, take out the other person and see if it sounds right
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I'm not a fan of using "myself" instead of "me", for instance, in the sentence "if you have any questions don't hesitate to contact Joe or myself." People these days don't know the difference between the subject of a sentence and the object of a sentence and so they're afraid of just using "me" because they're not sure and think it might be wrong. So they use "myself" instead of "me" which, according to Dictionary.com, is acceptable as an informal use, but I still don't like it.

As far as "me" and "I" are concerned, I've even been falsely chastised and corrected for correctly using "me" as the object (e.g., "Leave a message for Andy or me") by really bright, educated people who think it should be "...Andy or I". My manager uses "I" as the object of a sentence all the time, even in writing when she has a chance to review what she wrote and correct herself. I don't understand why people find this aspect of grammar so difficult. I hear smart people in all walks of life, including newscasters, reporters, and other television personalities, incorrectly use "I" as the object of a sentence and it drives me up a wall.

How do you feel about people switching the order, "me and Andy" as opposed to "Andy and me"?

How do you feel about people switching the order, "me and Andy" as opposed to "Andy and me"?
    It doesn't sound right, which is why people shy away from it, but it's grammatically correct so I'm fine with it.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

It doesn't sound right, which is why people shy away from it, but it's grammatically correct so I'm fine with it.
    “Me and Julio down by the schoolyard”

“Me and Bobby McGee”

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    “Me and Julio down by the schoolyard”

“Me and Bobby McGee”
    "Me and My Uncle"
    "Me and Mrs. Jones"

If you haven't already encountered the book "Between You and Me: Confessions of a Comma Queen", you might enjoy it:

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/mary-norris

I cringe when I hear "I" used incorrectly for "me" -- and it's usually by folks who seem to be putting on airs or trying to impress.

What about if the name is misspelled to create a bad pun?

Is "bad pun" redundant?
    As long as it's... Punny enough
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    "Me and My Uncle"
    "Me and Mrs. Jones"
    Mr. Jones and me, tell each other fairy tales...

Appending Vegas to a city name for whatever reason. Of the top of my head, I hear it most commonly for two cities in NC: G-Vegas (Greenville), Ashvegas (Asheville). Ugh. Happens elsewhere too.

Honorable mention: Fayette-nam.
    Last edited by Acymetric; 06-08-2018 at 10:02 PM.

Appending Vegas to a city name for whatever reason. Of the top of my head, I hear it most commonly for to cities in NC: G-Vegas (Greenville), Ashvegas (Asheville). Ugh. Happens elsewhere too.

I've heard it with "Knox-vegas" for many, many years (for Knoxville, TN) ... but have never heard it appended to any other city's name.

And, Knox Vegas has an Urban Dictionary entry, but Ashe Vegas does not: https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...m=Knox%20Vegas

Do you like the word "hotel"? What does it mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I've heard it with "Knox-vegas" for many, many years (for Knoxville, TN) ... but have never heard it appended to any other city's name.

And, Knox Vegas has an Urban Dictionary entry, but Ashe Vegas does not: https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...m=Knox%20Vegas
    Funny - I've heard Nashvegas, but never Knoxvegas. The main person I heard using the term Nashvegas was an annoying Tar Heel from Nashville, so it all kind of fits together...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Funny - I've heard Nashvegas, but never Knoxvegas. The main person I heard using the term Nashvegas was an annoying Tar Heel from Nashville, so it all kind of fits together...
    I heard Knoxvegas from musicians ... it all sort of fit .. folks living/working in a music scene, but far from the "it" music scene ... but with dreams of making it ...

Nashville is too popular/successful/a destination in its own right to use the term, it seems ...

I enjoyed that way more than I was expecting.

Appending Vegas to a city name for whatever reason. Of the top of my head, I hear it most commonly for two cities in NC: G-Vegas (Greenville), Ashvegas (Asheville). Ugh. Happens elsewhere too.

Ashevegas, as I understood it, was coined locally as an ironic term to refer to our sleepy mountain town. Now that you can't find parking downtown, the irony has worn off and it is just obnoxious.

...was diagnosed with