Page 20 of 67 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Watching the Open Championship golf the other week reminded me that I love it when golfers hit the ball into a gorse bush and I love hearing the announcers talking about it. I really like the word "gorse". I've never seen an actual gorse bush in person, however.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    Watching the Open Championship golf the other week reminded me that I love it when golfers hit the ball into a gorse bush and I love hearing the announcers talking about it. I really like the word "gorse". I've never seen an actual gorse bush in person, however.
    Anything like a "bustle in your hedgerow?"

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    I hate the words blessed and blessing. Not sure why but I suppose it reminds me of people thinking God when they hit a homerun or win an Oscar.
    I suppose you meant "thanking" God rather than "thinking" God?

And do you mean you hate it when somebody says something like, "Have a blessed day," or is it more when somebody says, "Having our grandchildren visit for the holidays was such a blessing," or do you hate both equally?

I don't mind the latter, but the former I find vaguely irritating.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Anything like a "bustle in your hedgerow?"

Alarming.

The etymology of my call name, CrazyNotCrazie, is derived from a pet peeve of mine (plus it is a good excuse to use the word etymology, which is a personal favorite). I have always been bothered by the clothing sold at Duke that says "Cameron Crazie." The singular of "Crazies" is "Crazy" - I am a Cameron Crazy, not a Cameron Crazie. I really wish they would get that right. This is not my biggest problem in life, but it does offend my sensibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    The etymology of my call name, CrazyNotCrazie, is derived from a pet peeve of mine (plus it is a good excuse to use the word etymology, which is a personal favorite). I have always been bothered by the clothing sold at Duke that says "Cameron Crazie." The singular of "Crazies" is "Crazy" - I am a Cameron Crazy, not a Cameron Crazie. I really wish they would get that right. This is not my biggest problem in life, but it does offend my sensibilities.
    Good point. Crazie makes no sense.

Anyway, I came back into this thread to add [Billy Mays voice] another FANTASTIC word [/Billy Mays voice]. And the word is "stochastic." I freaking love this word.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Congeal. Sounds like what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    ... I've never seen an actual gorse bush in person, however.
    Wasn't Gorse Bush the commander-in-chief when Popeye served in the Navy from 1989-1993.

Since proper form of a word has come up, one that ALWAYS makes me stop for an extra few seconds and think is affect vs. effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Wasn't Gorse Bush the commander-in-chief when Popeye served in the Navy from 1989-1993.
    Or was it one of his brothers? 🤔

I dislike words that now is so often used in a way opposite of what they used to mean...spendthrift for example. When used in politics today, means a big government spender. It used to mean tightwad, or perhaps exceedingly prudent.

Then there is supposably, which in some circles is accepted as suitable for supposedly. People who use that first firm normally have no idea what ostensibly means.

Of course, there's this:

Jeff Foxworthy: MAYONNAISE

"...may-naise some big hooters on that waitress..."

Just thought of a few more I like: irascible, cantankerous, curmudgeon.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Thank you.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Thank you.
    I thought this was a thread about words you like, not traits that describe dd.

But I'll add -- "heart-healthy"
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 08-03-2018 at 10:22 AM.

I'm detecting a trend here.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Related -- I'm waiting for someone to post a downloadable, 3-D printer IPA. Someone needs to get on that pronto.
    This reminded me that in the past week or so, I've seen waaaay too many people --including politicians and journalists-- say or write "3D guns"... you know, as if guns have been 2D up until now, haha. Whether one supports or doesn't support them (and this is obviously not an invitation to debate PPB), one should use the word "printed" in there when referring to these guns.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'm detecting a trend here.
    Damn, I resemble that trend. 😫🤓😎

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    This reminded me that in the past week or so, I've seen waaaay too many people --including politicians and journalists-- say or write "3D guns"... you know, as if guns have been 2D up until now, haha. Whether one supports or doesn't support them (and this is obviously not an invitation to debate PPB), one should use the word "printed" in there when referring to these guns.
    Yeah, this type of thing really irks me. Is it laziness? Ignorance? Do people think it has a better sound to it in some way?

Whenever I hear a truncated phrase like that, I also get the strong impression that the person isn't saying anything worthwhile. It's like a signal for "I have no idea what I'm talking about." You'd think that'd be something the speaker would want to avoid. It strikes me as similar to some of the odd marketing-isms/business-speak people use these days (unnecessary portmanteaus and that weird noun-to-verb analogue of nominalization).

I rarely look at Twitter but I was reading some posts late last night and had a disturbing thought. What if the character limit on tweets exerts a small, but widespread and long-standing bias toward truncating words and phrases such that we are exposed to this sort of thing more and more?

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    I rarely look at Twitter but I was reading some posts late last night and had a disturbing thought. What if the character limit on tweets exerts a small, but widespread and long-standing bias toward truncating words and phrases such that we are exposed to this sort of thing more and more?
    I think that ship sailed a long time ago, with text messaging the wind source.

Quote Originally Posted by blpog View Post
    yeah, this type of thing really irks me. Is it laziness? Ignorance? Do people think it has a better sound to it in some way?

Whenever i hear a truncated phrase like that, i also get the strong impression that the person isn't saying anything worthwhile. It's like a signal for "i have no idea what i'm talking about." you'd think that'd be something the speaker would want to avoid. It strikes me as similar to some of the odd marketing-isms/business-speak people use these days (unnecessary portmanteaus and that weird noun-to-verb analogue of nominalization).u8

i rarely look at twitter but i was reading some posts late last night and had a disturbing thought. What if the character limit on tweets exerts a small, but widespread and long-standing bias toward truncating words and phrases such that we are exposed to this sort of thing more and more?
    lol wtf? Ok sur.