Page 56 of 67 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1325
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    So, I do that myself. My apologies.
    Honestly, I've never considered what the meaning of application of "so" might be. And I really like language.

I think 'so' is replacing 'well' in casual speech. It is serving mostly as a placeholder, something to waste some time while thoughts are gathered.
    Maybe it is less grating than 'umm,' or 'uh'? I haven't really decided yet.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I think 'so' is replacing 'well' in casual speech. It is serving mostly as a placeholder, something to waste some time while thoughts are gathered.
    Maybe it is less grating than 'umm,' or 'uh'? I haven't really decided yet.
    I find myself starting emails or messages at work with "So, . . .", as if I am preparing the recipient(s) for the next crisis that I am about to announce.

I find myself starting emails or messages at work with "So, . . .", as if I am preparing the recipient(s) for the next crisis that I am about to announce.
    With apologies, I hate this use of "so". I receive e-mails like this from time to time, and they are never positive messages. It's like a mini-introduction that says to your reader, "What follows will be unpleasant." Trust me, it doesn't soften the blow, it emphasizes it. I don't need to dread content before I even read it. It also swallows up whatever positive spin you might have otherwise been able to put on things. Just say what you have to say. Nobody needs an introduction to something that sucks.

Not to pick on aimo, but this particular use really tweaks me, and it seems to be getting more popular.

kind of like alors in french, verbal placeholder. You know...

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    With apologies, I hate this use of "so". I receive e-mails like this from time to time, and they are never positive messages. It's like a mini-introduction that says to your reader, "What follows will be unpleasant." Trust me, it doesn't soften the blow, it emphasizes it. I don't need to dread content before I even read it. It also swallows up whatever positive spin you might have otherwise been able to put on things. Just say what you have to say. Nobody needs an introduction to something that sucks.

Not to pick on aimo, but this particular use really tweaks me, and it seems to be getting more popular.
    I am an auditor of sorts. I'm not trying to soften the blow, just prepare them for it. There is no blow softening.

I hate telling the server in Starbucks or similar that my name is Martin because they then call out Marty when my coffee is ready. I have literally waited for ages sometimes while my coffee sits there going cold. I hate to say “waada” instead of water and tomayto instead of tomato just so people can understand me. I don’t feel brilliant at all.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

I learned a new word today:

Meretricious.

Definition: apparently attractive but having in reality no value or integrity.

Better definition (archaic): relating to or characteristic of a prostitute.

To tie into the thread title, I really like this word.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I learned a new word today:

Meretricious.

Definition: apparently attractive but having in reality no value or integrity.

Better definition (archaic): relating to or characteristic of a prostitute.

To tie into the thread title, I really like this word.
    You watched succession didn’t you?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    You watched succession didn’t you?
    Nope. Brian Cox has a memoir coming out where he supposedly calls Quentin Tarantino meretricious. Not saying I agree, but I had to look it up and like learning new words. I can think of some other people I'd use it on though.

Nope. Brian Cox has a memoir coming out where he supposedly calls Quentin Tarantino meretricious. Not saying I agree, but I had to look it up and like learning new words. I can think of some other people I'd use it on though.
    That’s pretty funny. Cox is the one of the leads in succession and in Sunday’s episode his character’s brother called his son meretricious.

So, I do that myself. My apologies.
    So knock it off!

Nope. Brian Cox has a memoir coming out where he supposedly calls Quentin Tarantino meretricious...
    That's pretty good coming from someone who appeared in Super Troopers.

Nope. Brian Cox has a memoir coming out where he supposedly calls Quentin Tarantino meretricious.
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Whaaaat? (NSFW - language)

Hey meow, don’t go there!

Holy smokes. Mind blown.

Reading a 'Succession' review, one of the primary characters was described using another great term...arriviste.

Not really a word, but a phrase that has has been causing me consternation as I watch more and more Premier League: "just about".

Growing up in America, you could always follow the phrase "just about" with the phrase "but not quite" and you wouldn't change the meaning. "Just about" means that whatever just about happened did not actually happen. "You just about made that jump with your bike" means that you were close and should try again, but meanwhile that sure was a fun crash to watch. In England, apparently, the phrase means exactly the opposite. Something that just about happened was very close to not happening, but in fact DID happen. "The keeper just about kept the ball out of the net" means there was almost a goal, but the keeper saved it.

The cognitive dissonance when I hear that makes me want to throw stuff at the TV. It's probably just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Not really a word, but a phrase that has has been causing me consternation as I watch more and more Premier League: "just about".

Growing up in America, you could always follow the phrase "just about" with the phrase "but not quite" and you wouldn't change the meaning. "Just about" means that whatever just about happened did not actually happen. "You just about made that jump with your bike" means that you were close and should try again, but meanwhile that sure was a fun crash to watch. In England, apparently, the phrase means exactly the opposite. Something that just about happened was very close to not happening, but in fact DID happen. "The keeper just about kept the ball out of the net" means there was almost a goal, but the keeper saved it.

The cognitive dissonance when I hear that makes me want to throw stuff at the TV. It's probably just me.
    Wow. Those Brits make no sense at all.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

the "room"

I've had it with the "room." Every time somebody talks about a staff or a team or a unit of people, especially with respect to a sports team, they talk about "the room." What's going on in "the quarterback room" or tension in "the receivers room" etc. I don't know for sure, but other than perhaps the quarterbacks, are these other position groups really meeting in their own room, with just them, on any kind of regular basis? I doubt it. Using the terminology is some kind of attempt to seem like an insider or someone in the know, I guess, but I'm not impressed when I hear it and I'm pretty sick of hearing it at all.