Page 61 of 67 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1325
    Some solid defenestration in Mick Herron's most entertaining new book, Bad Actors.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Some solid defenestration in Mick Herron's most entertaining new book, Bad Actors.
    {Instantly adds to list}

This is a phrase, not a word, but I have been hearing the phrase "living your (or their) best life" a lot more lately. And I really don't like it. It seems to be coinciding with me having lots of interactions in different venues of my life with very self-centered people. These people do what is best for themselves without considering the impact of their behavior on others and showing no willingness to compromise their behavior for the greater good.

So I have taken to using the phrase sarcastically, where someone "living their best life" is doing what is best for themselves with no concern for anyone else, and often at the expense of the happiness of others.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    This is a phrase, not a word, but I have been hearing the phrase "living your (or their) best life" a lot more lately. And I really don't like it. It seems to be coinciding with me having lots of interactions in different venues of my life with very self-centered people. These people do what is best for themselves without considering the impact of their behavior on others and showing no willingness to compromise their behavior for the greater good.

So I have taken to using the phrase sarcastically, where someone "living their best life" is doing what is best for themselves with no concern for anyone else, and often at the expense of the happiness of others.
    Corollary phrase, 'being kind to oneself.' I mean, I get it, at least a little bit, but sometimes it seems like it can be turned into just an excuse to not do anything or to not take responsibility for anything.

It all smacks of that self absorbed twit Sheryl Sandberg.

Olio

I am now fully committed to the eradication of the execrable term "unputdownable" from the book review universe. Two instances in the daily BookBub posting today sent me over the edge.

I expect to be as fully successful as I have been in my long-term quest for the eradication of the term "lightening" used to describe an atmospheric phenomenon.

And I just realized that "execrable" has become one of my favorite go-to words.

As long as this thread is coming back to the top, let's review:

"on track" = making good progress toward a desired goal; everything running as expected or hoped
    "untracked" = running off the rails and HALTING progress toward a desired goal; FAILING to run as expected or hoped

They sound a lot alike, I'll grant you, but they are in fact completely opposite. Think trains, and we'll all get along.

Yes, this is a pet peeve of mine, I freely admit.

Here's a list of 75 infuriating words - contranyms.

https://www.dailywritingtips.com/75-...tory-meanings/

How disorientating!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    How disorientating!
    Grrrrrr!!!!!!!!

I still ..like Ya’ll……..🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗👍👍👍👍👍

I have heard many people using the term "comfortability". Some sleuthing suggests it is, indeed, a word but it feels like a made-up word to me.

My comfortability with using "comfortability" is rather low.

I came across the word "astronomist" in a tv listing about a person who worked at an observatory, looking at stars.

I am suspicious that it isn't a real word, perhaps similar to "botaner".

If the opposite of “assassin” was “peepeeout”, I would really dislike that word so I’m glad that it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I have heard many people using the term "comfortability". Some sleuthing suggests it is, indeed, a word but it feels like a made-up word to me.

I've noticed it used more and more. If it is indeed a word, it is a stupid word. I'm not sure if I can articulate why it is stupid, I just know it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I've noticed it used more and more. If it is indeed a word, it is a stupid word. I'm not sure if I can articulate why it is stupid, I just know it is.
    I can articulate why it's stupid: It's a noun, turned into an adjective, turned back into a noun. That's just dumb. You don't really lose meaning if you just lop off "-ability" and shorten your sentence. "This couch has great comfortability." -> "This couch is comfortable." Even better, stop with the passive voice and say something interesting about the comfortable couch in a real sentence.

I'm not sure if I can articulate why it is stupid, I just know it is.
    Similar to Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart's definition of "obscenity"!

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I can articulate why it's stupid: It's a noun, turned into an adjective, turned back into a noun. That's just dumb. You don't really lose meaning if you just lop off "-ability" and shorten your sentence. "This couch has great comfortability." -> "This couch is comfortable." Even better, stop with the passive voice and say something interesting about the comfortable couch in a real sentence.
    It didn't matter how comfortable the couch was, they all screamed the same when he pushed their head into its cushions.

How's that?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

Probably because it’s unnecessarily long? As a qualitative word, you can just say “comfort”. And in the unlikely case that you measuring the quantity of comfort somehow, you can still say “comfort”, or maybe “comfort level”.

The newest Escalade offers standard dual climate control and heated leather seats, giving you the comfort you associate with Cadillac.

The new office chairs have a comfort level of 0.7 college futons.

I almost used cinderblocks instead of futons, but I’m told they measure something else.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    It didn't matter how comfortable the couch was, they all screamed the same when he pushed their head into its cushions.

How's that?
    Thought I took that video down.