Page 1 of 67 1231151 ... LastLast

Words you dislike? Or really like?

It's the off-season and this is the off-topic forum, so I guess anything is fair game, right?

I hear a lot of people complain about the word "moist." It's surprising to me how many people I've heard say they dislike the word. I don't mind it at all. "Damp" is worse, to me.

Words I really dislike? "Behoove." I've always hated this word. When I was a teenager, people were also telling me, "It would behoove you to 'your advice here'." Maybe that's why I hate it, but I also think it just sounds stupid. Like you meant to say "behave" but you can't pronounce it properly.

Other words I don't like? "Impactful." Not sure that's really even a word, but I hear it used more and more. In the old days we said something "had an impact." What was wrong with that?

Words I like? I dunno. I kinda like "cornpone." No reason. It just makes me smile.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    It's the off-season and this is the off-topic forum, so I guess anything is fair game, right?

I hear a lot of people complain about the word "moist." It's surprising to me how many people I've heard say they dislike the word. I don't mind it at all. "Damp" is worse, to me.

Words I really dislike? "Behoove." I've always hated this word. When I was a teenager, people were also telling me, "It would behoove you to 'your advice here'." Maybe that's why I hate it, but I also think it just sounds stupid. Like you meant to say "behave" but you can't pronounce it properly.

Other words I don't like? "Impactful." Not sure that's really even a word, but I hear it used more and more. In the old days we said something "had an impact." What was wrong with that?

Words I like? I dunno. I kinda like "cornpone." No reason. It just makes me smile.
    I'll bite.

Word I hate: "Pro-active."

Word I like: "Defenestration."

It's more than a word, but I hate "score the ball." "Score" is more than adequate on its own.

There are definately alot of words I dislike because I never spell them correctly.
    ~rthomas

Dislike: Natty, trap game, narrative

I am guilty of using these, but I don't like "Honestly" and "Frankly" because they imply to me that without using those words, someone is not being honest or frank.

Also don't like when people refer to their significant other as "babe."

On a somewhat related note, a pet peeve is people who refer to a relative as "dad" or "mom" as in "dad went to the store today" without using the possessive "my" unless of course they are referring to a shared "mom" or "dad."
    Last edited by CrazyNotCrazie; 05-22-2018 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I'll bite.

Word I hate: "Pro-active."

I LOVE "defenestration." Awesome word. My kids knew that word when they were preschoolers. I'd say, "I don't know what I'm going to do with you!" and they would reply "Defenestrate me?"
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Hhmmm...I don't like hearing "good" used when "well" is correct.

"awesome" is due for a long rest in hell, too. Way too much "awesome" bandied about.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I am guilty of using these, but I don't like "Honestly" and "Frankly" because they imply to me that without using those words, someone is not being honest or frank.
    In my view, a key to analyzing legal briefs, or any argument for that matter, is to pay close attention to what comes after words like "honestly," "frankly" or "clearly." It is almost always anything but.

Dislike: Dadgum, Tar Heels, heels
    Like: cheating bastards, cheats, holes, pond scum

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    We advise witnesses never to use these words during testimony for exactly that reason. Someone starts an answer saying "to be honest," invites the rejoinder "so were you not being honest before?"
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post

Does that mean "close the window" ?
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Dislike: Natty
    I for one like Cincinnati...

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

Words? "Just sayin'"...

Hate 'em.

C'mon, take ownership! You said 'em!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Does that mean "close the window" ?
    It means the act of throwing something, or someone, OUT the window.

"Wow, just wow. Really?"

"I can't even"

"This. Just. This."

"So that happened."

"So that's a thing, I guess?"

"Gross" / "Icky"

word i HATE: irregardless

word i like a lot: mellifluous

word i hate: try

word i like: do
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I am a word hound, as my post history will attest. Some might call me pedantic, and I accept that.

Defenestration is at the top of my list. Miasma is near the top. Wormhole is another contender.

Literally and irregardless bring up the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post

Yoda-like typing detected...

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post

Try not! Do, or do not. There is no try.