Page 62 of 67 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1325
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Probably because it’s unnecessarily long? As a qualitative word, you can just say “comfort”. And in the unlikely case that you measuring the quantity of comfort somehow, you can still say “comfort”, or maybe “comfort level”.

The newest Escalade offers standard dual climate control and heated leather seats, giving you the comfort you associate with Cadillac.

The new office chairs have a comfort level of 0.7 college futons.

I almost used cinderblocks instead of futons, but I’m told they measure something else.
    Your screen name makes you an authority on this topic!

On a similar note, I have never understood the common usage of the word “incentivize” when “incent” basically means the same thing. I am definitely guilty of using this one.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Your screen name makes you an authority on this topic!

On a similar note, I have never understood the common usage of the word “incentivize” when “incent” basically means the same thing. I am definitely guilty of using this one.
    Ooooh! I hope he has the username "Wit" on other boards!!!!!!

An oldie but a goodie

I got to use the word "defenestrate" in the class I teach tonight. It had something to do with the Supreme Court.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I got to use the word "defenestrate" in the class I teach tonight. It had something to do with the Supreme Court.
    Jealous.

I heard the phrase “Flesh puppet” today and never want to again.

It’s led me to realize I am grossed out by the word “flesh”
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Reimagine

OK, this may belong in the "get off my yard" category, but I'm getting really tired of hearing about things that need to be "reimagined".

Yet another abandoned, local shopping mall is going to be "reimagined" into some other function. I didn't "imagine" it as a shopping mall in the first place. And I'm not going to waste energy imagining it as something different.

Just demolish it and rebuild it. Imagination is much better used for thinking of seeing a sixth championship banner hanging in Cameron.

Now get off my yard.

I'm not going to post the article because it would be probably degrade into PPB, but I was surprised to see a reporter state that there were calls for the defenestration of George Santos. Figuratively, I guess that could be the case, but as much real defenestration as we have been seeing in Russia, I was surprised to see it used without a figurative qualifier.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    I'm not going to post the article because it would be probably degrade into PPB, but I was surprised to see a reporter state that there were calls for the defenestration of George Santos. Figuratively, I guess that could be the case, but as much real defenestration as we have been seeing in Russia, I was surprised to see it used without a figurative qualifier.
    Perhaps the assumption is that when one is thrown out of the House, one would logically exit via a window, though the door is also possible...what is being thrown out a door called? DeMarvinated?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Perhaps the assumption is that when one is thrown out of the House, one would logically exit via a window, though the door is also possible...what is being thrown out a door called? DeMarvinated?
    Deportation is the word you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Because I need a life I did a google search on this. There is no official answer. The one I liked best is that fenestra is Latin for window, and janua is the equivalent Latin for door (I never took Latin), so dejanuation would be the most appropriate term. There is something with the genders and tenses or something of port that makes that less appropriate, plus deportation is already used in another related context.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Deportation is the word you are looking for.
    ah, even French and such, good one. Since when did the French get to determine our methods of egress? We still don't call the exit the sortie...

I learned today that the definition of the word "berm" has changed over time. It used to mean a flat surface, often a road or other track, along a slope; or a flat area next to a defensive wall or parapet. It kept stuff from filling up a castle moat, for example. Now it means a wall, usually of dirt, often pushed up next to a ditch or other excavation.

It's a cool, simple word that we have thanks to the Dutch.

" Turf " . the word is great for my generation. Grass is turf. We have turf farms throughout the southeast. When they built the " Houston Astrodome " there was artifical grass called Astro turf , now called artificial turf .

Did the word change it's meaning ? My son's generation call all artificial turf , "turf" . The Carolina Panthers play on turf .. to him, that means artificial turf only. If they ever put natural grass back down , then the games won't be played on turf .. He's not the only one that thinks in this manner.

"Turf" has evolved to have multiple meanings, just has just about every other word from Old or Middle English. To say it has just one meaning is flat out wrong; Merriam-Webster alone has four different noun definitions with multiple subsets of those four, along with two verb definitions.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    "Turf" has evolved to have multiple meanings, just has just about every other word from Old or Middle English. To say it has just one meaning is flat out wrong; Merriam-Webster alone has four different noun definitions with multiple subsets of those four, along with two verb definitions.
    Yes, but I think the question is hinting at whether the younger generation now views the word differently, and whether to them 'turf' means artificial grass only. It wouldn't surprise me if that is true.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Yes, but I think the question is hinting at whether the younger generation now views the word differently, and whether to them 'turf' means artificial grass only. It wouldn't surprise me if that is true.
    Certainly all the youth soccer players I have met talk of "turf fields" and "grass fields" as polar opposites.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    My son doesn’t consider grass fields as turf.. artificial is turf. ( this after I showed him a turf farm sign. I promised him they weren’t growing artificial turf . Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    turf farm
    Where is autocorrect when you need it? C'mon, the letters are adjacent on the keyboard!
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Where is autocorrect when you need it? C'mon, the letters are adjacent on the keyboard!
    I see what you did there! 😆

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    My son doesn’t consider grass fields as turf.. artificial is turf. ( this after I showed him a turf farm sign. I promised him they weren’t growing artificial turf . Lol
    yeah, I suspect a contraction of "astroturf" is to blame for this obvious misnomer.