Page 54 of 67 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1325
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    The distinction was that “nauseous” was something that made you feel sick, whereas nauseated was what you actually felt.
    Michael Jordan was nauseated in the Flu Game. The Carolina blue practice shorts he wore underneath his Bulls uniform make me nauseous.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    A thought I try to keep in my mind: Words take you places. Choose then carefully.
    Did you mean "Choose THEM carefully"?

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Michael Jordan was nauseated in the Flu Game. The Carolina blue practice shorts he wore underneath his Bulls uniform make me nauseous.

My second chance in a week to put forth my theory that MJ was nauseated because he was hung over, not thanks to the fly or "food poisoning."

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Hate: “Could of” or “should of”

No no no no no! Why don’t people understand it’s could have? Or should have?

I read emails from people on my team at work all the time that use the word “of” in this ridiculous manner. They even write it in client communications. Frustrates me to no end.
    That drives me nuts, too!

In their defense, it's the homophones "could've" and "should've" that they're misspelling.

-jk

I read emails from people on my team at work all the time that use the word “of” in this ridiculous manner. They even write it in client communications. Frustrates me to no end.
    Yep, drives the grammar snob in me crazy as well.

along the lines of the malicious, unforgivable, "would have," i.e. I wish I would have gone to the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Don't get me started on "literally" and the misuse becoming so common that it apparently warrants its own listing in the dictionary. How can a word mean its opposite?

*Looks for his onion belt
    How come "caretaker" and "caregiver" mean the same thing?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Drop

Don't get me started on "literally" and the misuse becoming so common that it apparently warrants its own listing in the dictionary. How can a word mean its opposite?

Well the misuse of literally drives me up the wall sometimes - figuratively speaking of course. And it reminds me of the new use of "drop" which gets under my skin for some reason.

"Oh, yippee, Jason just dropped another episode of Return to Glory".

Or on the other hand, "Oh no, they dropped Star Trek"

So it's both, "Oh look, it's here" and "Oh look, it's gone"

But don't get me wrong. Jason can keep dropping as many Returns to Glory as he likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    How come "caretaker" and "caregiver" mean the same thing?
    The same reason "flammable" and "inflammable" do . . . . .
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Is it actual misuse or is it just a cultural/generational exaggeration for fun/snark.

Like, “I literally can’t even...”?

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    That drives me nuts, too!

In their defense, it's the homophones "could've" and "should've" that they're misspelling.

-jk
    I am really bad with homophones. Something about my wiring because I mix them up when I’m writing on the regular. I usually know the appropriate use but I’m moving so fast or something and I just type without thinking...dunno why. Pretty frustrating because I know all the grammar sophisticates on here judge me for it.

woulda, coulda, shoulda

texting will ultimately kill off the language and we won't have to worry about it any more.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    texting will ultimately kill off the language and we won't have to worry about it any more.
    K,k ok thx bai

K,k ok thx bai

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    The distinction was that “nauseous” was something that made you feel sick, whereas nauseated was what you actually felt. In other words, to say that Donovan Mitchell was nauseous used to mean that he induced a feeling of nausea in observers, which, in this case, when it comes to fans of the opposing team, at least, is probably true.
    I believe that use of "nauseous" has been supplanted by the word "nauseating". Offered FWIW, and hoping not to cross that line with the pedantry of this post.

And when did "ankle" become a verb?

Prolly.

bumping this thread because the other night we were watching an episode of Lupin on Netflix (entertaining) and the protagonist defenestrated his opponent is excellent, second storey fashion, though the defenstratee seemed to survive.

bumping this thread because the other night we were watching an episode of Lupin on Netflix (entertaining) and the protagonist defenestrated his opponent is excellent, second storey fashion, though the defenstratee seemed to survive.
    Indeed. A moment of superhuman physicality in an otherwise (fairly) grounded show. Took me out of the moment.

Indeed. A moment of superhuman physicality in an otherwise (fairly) grounded show. Took me out of the moment.
    They don’t teach proper defenestration technique in schools anymore. Except in Russia.