Page 42 of 67 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I enjoy yelling the word pianissimo as loud as I can.
    Not worthy of 9F, but certainly worthy of three:

53px-Music_dynamic_fortississimo.svg.png
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Listening to NPR on the way home from work yesterday I heard two "words" that I found amusing and/or annoying.

The first was "event-ize." This was in a segment about live television shows and why they are becoming more popular. Apparently the producers want to make the tv show on a particular night into an "event." Therefore, they want to "event-ize" the episode. Yuck!

Now I'm blanking on what the second one was! Dang it. If it comes to me later, I'll come back and post it. It was good. Sorry about this turning into the proverbial "I'll tell you tomorrow" post.
    OK, I remember it now. The guy said "monumentous," which I guess is an amalgamation of "monumental" and "momentous"? I've certainly never heard anyone say this before, and I didn't expect somebody to say it on NPR, but there it is.

For what it's worth, I actually kind of liked "monumentous," while I really HATED "event-ize."
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

OK, I remember it now. The guy said "monumentous," which I guess is an amalgamation of "monumental" and "momentous"? I've certainly never heard anyone say this before, and I didn't expect somebody to say it on NPR, but there it is.

For what it's worth, I actually kind of liked "monumentous," while I really HATED "event-ize."
    "Eventize?" Really?

Stuff like that is abominationing the English language.

These may have already been posted in this thread but I really hate the words "Duke loses" or "Duke Loss".

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    These may have already been posted in this thread but I really hate the words "Duke loses" or "Duke Loss".
    Me, too. Luckily, those words are seldom used together.

OK, I can't review the entire thread to see if it's been mentioned, but there's a common word used frequently in reference to basketball which is never, ever used correctly in any of the basketball-related discussions, whether on this forum or in any basketball-related broadcast or discussion. It is a perfectly good word when used correctly, but drives me borderline insane when used in reference to basketball and basketball players. That word is "wingspan".

I don't know if folks across this country are actually aware of this, but basketball players do not have wings. OK, maybe that's how Zion Williamson does what he does, I don't know - there's really no other plausible explanation that's been offered for what he does. But at the very least, I've never seen anything with feathers that could play the game of basketball. "Arm span", on the other hand, is a perfectly legitimate and useful English phrase that is absolutely applicable to basketball-playing human beings.

I know, I know. My complaint is stupid and petty. On the other hand, that's pretty much what this thread is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    OK, I can't review the entire thread to see if it's been mentioned, but there's a common word used frequently in reference to basketball which is never, ever used correctly in any of the basketball-related discussions, whether on this forum or in any basketball-related broadcast or discussion. It is a perfectly good word when used correctly, but drives me borderline insane when used in reference to basketball and basketball players. That word is "wingspan".

I don't know if folks across this country are actually aware of this, but basketball players do not have wings. OK, maybe that's how Zion Williamson does what he does, I don't know - there's really no other plausible explanation that's been offered for what he does. But at the very least, I've never seen anything with feathers that could play the game of basketball. "Arm span", on the other hand, is a perfectly legitimate and useful English phrase that is absolutely applicable to basketball-playing human beings.

I know, I know. My complaint is stupid and petty. On the other hand, that's pretty much what this thread is for.
    I’d call this the “Bird Rule” or “Bird Exception” but those terms are already spoken for in basketball!

Not a lot of "basketball" playing, but he is on the court. And playing. (Thought this was fun and some might enjoy the trip down memory lane)

Not stupid and petty, though perhaps extreme. Seems like, for this topic, you have a larger span between the two hands of the argument than most people

Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled View Post
    Not stupid and petty, though perhaps extreme. Seems like, for this topic, you have a larger span between the two hands of the argument than most people
    But at least those hands are on the ends of my arms.

Today’s episode of the Every Little Thing podcast is well-suited for this thread:

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/every-...-next-top-word

Melismatic is a great word.

For those who don't know, it refers to a style of singing in which a single syllable is sung over multiple notes of music. A melisma is any such syllable that is sung over multiple notes. The opposite of melismatic in singing is known as syllabic singing, in which each syllable gets its own note.

I'm not sure why I like this word so much. It just rolls off the tongue nicely. Plus it seems like an overly arcane word for such a simple concept, which amuses me.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Melismatic is a great word.

For those who don't know, it refers to a style of singing in which a single syllable is sung over multiple notes of music. A melisma is any such syllable that is sung over multiple notes. The opposite of melismatic in singing is known as syllabic singing, in which each syllable gets its own note.

I'm not sure why I like this word so much. It just rolls off the tongue nicely. Plus it seems like an overly arcane word for such a simple concept, which amuses me.
    Muffin is an underappreciated, common word. Conjures such delicious images and fun to say, especially in a coy manner.

"First class lounge" that's a phrase but I think it can stand.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    There is an accountant on my team at work that constantly says "anyhoo". The only reason he still breathes is because he is a Richmond grad that roots for Duke over unc.......the only reason.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    "First class lounge" that's a phrase but I think it can stand.
    Why would you stand in lounge? You should try luxuriating...that's what they're for. Treat yo' self!

"Tar heel" - technically a two word phrase, but you get the idea.

Color me bumfuzzled.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Color me bumfuzzled.
    Having a Y chromosome I am unfamiliar with that color. Then again I am unfamiliar with any color that isn't used to code a resistor*.

*A resistor is a thingy that nerds used when building circuits in the days or yore. Such circuits were visible to the naked eye.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Muffin is an underappreciated, common word. Conjures such delicious images and fun to say, especially in a coy manner.
    Y'all keep bluffin' with my muffin...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.