Page 43 of 67 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Having a Y chromosome I am unfamiliar with that color. Then again I am unfamiliar with any color that isn't used to code a resistor*.

*A resistor is a thingy that nerds used when building circuits in the days or yore. Such circuits were visible to the naked eye.
    Gender ain't the issue, geography is. Word has southern origins.

Carom. New word for me. Shout out to GGLC, who used in it another thread earlier.

1a: a shot in billiards in which the cue ball strikes each of two object balls
    b: a shot in pool in which an object ball strikes another ball before falling into a pocket
    2: a rebounding especially at an angle

"Defenestration" is one of my favorites lately because I have been reading a lot of European history.

(Hard to find a way to work it into a modern conversation though).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    "Defenestration" is one of my favorites lately because I have been reading a lot of European history.

Thank goodness!

Pangolin

I love this word, too. In fact, I'm pretty sure I mentioned it earlier in the thread.

I use the word on occasion. When my kids were little, we used it around the house a lot. When my kids misbehaved, for example, they would say, "What are you going to do?" and I would reply, "Looks like I'm going to have to defenestrate you!" They loved it, and used the word themselves.

Recently I had occasion to use it at work (can't remember the exact circumstances). I was surprised to find that nobody knew what it meant. That's a shame.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I love this word, too. In fact, I'm pretty sure I mentioned it earlier in the thread.

I use the word on occasion. When my kids were little, we used it around the house a lot. When my kids misbehaved, for example, they would say, "What are you going to do?" and I would reply, "Looks like I'm going to have to defenestrate you!" They loved it, and used the word themselves.

Recently I had occasion to use it at work (can't remember the exact circumstances). I was surprised to find that nobody knew what it meant. That's a shame.
    I chuckle at the fact that it happened so many times, they had to give a name to it.

Also, when you read something like "the First Defenestration of Prague," you know that city has a fun history because they had to number them.

Kambucha. Fun word, unsure of the people who regularly consume it.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Kambucha. Fun word, unsure of the people who regularly consume it.
    Hate to be that guy, but since this thread is about words...

*Kombucha

I like "yonder"

Unchartered

If I see "unchartered territory" one more time, I may go out of my mind with rage. It's "uncharted", folks. And yes, I realize that you probably can't charter a vessel to take you to uncharted waters these days (Spain did in 1492 with that Columbus guy), but that doesn't make "unchartered" right.

There. I feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    If I see "unchartered territory" one more time, I may go out of my mind with rage. It's "uncharted", folks. And yes, I realize that you probably can't charter a vessel to take you to uncharted waters these days (Spain did in 1492 with that Columbus guy), but that doesn't make "unchartered" right.

There. I feel better.
    The only thing unchartered 'round here was the United States until 1787.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post

There. I feel better.
    Relax. Take a deep breadth. Its not a big thing.

I like vacillate.

I was watching an old basketball rerun today, which could not have ended better if Austin Rivers had defenestrated every Tar Heel in the arena.

I like vacillate.
    I don't know, I go back and forth about it.

I hate "hunker down" with a passion!

And it's not just because of the coronavirus. The media have been using that phrase for years with regard to hurricanes, etc. Doesn't help that I live in a hurricane-prone place, so I've had to listen to people say this ugly phrase over and over again for YEARS!

I'm not going to "hunker down," dagnabit! I'm just going to hang out at my house for awhile.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I hate "hunker down" with a passion!

And it's not just because of the coronavirus. The media have been using that phrase for years with regard to hurricanes, etc. Doesn't help that I live in a hurricane-prone place, so I've had to listen to people say this ugly phrase over and over again for YEARS!

I'm not going to "hunker down," dagnabit! I'm just going to hang out at my house for awhile.
    How about simmer down?

How about simmer down?
    Good one. I need to do that.

How about simmer down?
    I hear the voice of my father, speaking to me when I was eight. That was one of his absolute favorites.