Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Words you dislike? Or really like?

It's the off-season and this is the off-topic forum, so I guess anything is fair game, right?

I hear a lot of people complain about the word "moist." It's surprising to me how many people I've heard say they dislike the word. I don't mind it at all. "Damp" is worse, to me.

Words I really dislike? "Behoove." I've always hated this word. When I was a teenager, people were also telling me, "It would behoove you to 'your advice here'." Maybe that's why I hate it, but I also think it just sounds stupid. Like you meant to say "behave" but you can't pronounce it properly.

Other words I don't like? "Impactful." Not sure that's really even a word, but I hear it used more and more. In the old days we said something "had an impact." What was wrong with that?

Words I like? I dunno. I kinda like "cornpone." No reason. It just makes me smile.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    It's the off-season and this is the off-topic forum, so I guess anything is fair game, right?

I hear a lot of people complain about the word "moist." It's surprising to me how many people I've heard say they dislike the word. I don't mind it at all. "Damp" is worse, to me.

Words I really dislike? "Behoove." I've always hated this word. When I was a teenager, people were also telling me, "It would behoove you to 'your advice here'." Maybe that's why I hate it, but I also think it just sounds stupid. Like you meant to say "behave" but you can't pronounce it properly.

Other words I don't like? "Impactful." Not sure that's really even a word, but I hear it used more and more. In the old days we said something "had an impact." What was wrong with that?

Words I like? I dunno. I kinda like "cornpone." No reason. It just makes me smile.
    I'll bite.

Word I hate: "Pro-active."

Word I like: "Defenestration."

It's more than a word, but I hate "score the ball." "Score" is more than adequate on its own.

There are definately alot of words I dislike because I never spell them correctly.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I'll bite.

Word I hate: "Pro-active."

I LOVE "defenestration." Awesome word. My kids knew that word when they were preschoolers. I'd say, "I don't know what I'm going to do with you!" and they would reply "Defenestrate me?"
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Hhmmm...I don't like hearing "good" used when "well" is correct.

"awesome" is due for a long rest in hell, too. Way too much "awesome" bandied about.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Hhmmm...I don't like hearing "good" used when "well" is correct.

"awesome" is due for a long rest in hell, too. Way too much "awesome" bandied about.
    It's been replaced with "Lit" and "Sick", but the latter is also on the way out the door. I know, my kids sent me the memo.

Does that mean "close the window" ?
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Does that mean "close the window" ?
    It means the act of throwing something, or someone, OUT the window.

"Wow, just wow. Really?"

"I can't even"

"This. Just. This."

"So that happened."

"So that's a thing, I guess?"

"Gross" / "Icky"

word i HATE: irregardless

word i like a lot: mellifluous

word i hate: try

word i like: do
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post

Yoda-like typing detected...

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post

Try not! Do, or do not. There is no try.

So shouldn't "end" a sentence either (referencing someone upthread who I believe said it shouldn't "start" a sentence, IIRC).

Um

Just

Anyway especially when followed or preceded by so, um, just or but

Now, excuse me, those *&^% urchins are trampling my recently mowed grass.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

"I got this", or "You've got this". Makes me wanna puke when I hear that..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    "I got this", or "You've got this". Makes me wanna puke when I hear that..lol
    I actually like both of these phrases, although technically the first one should be "I've" got this. Still, I enjoy its brevity and its confidence.

Even better is "on it" or "I'm on it" in response to an assigned task.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    "My bad."

Yes it is, and that phrase of hyper-obvious accountability does not absolve you from ridicule.

A category of words I do not like: Non-words when real words will do. Two recent examples.

1. In a group text, A mentioned something good that had just happened to him. B replies, "Jelly!"
    2. A friend sent me a recipe after I enjoyed the breakfast she had cooked. Along with the link to the recipe, she texted, "Brekkie."

Would it have been so difficult to text "jealous" (although envious would have been more accurate) or "breakfast?"

Words I like for no apparent reason: penultimate, dodgy, daft, vapid, and splendid.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDevil View Post

Words I like for no apparent reason: penultimate, dodgy, daft, vapid, and splendid.
    That should read, dodgy, daft, vapid, penultimate, and splendid.

That should read, dodgy, daft, vapid, penultimate, and splendid.
    should this be: "That should read 'dodgy, daft, vapid, penultimate, and splendid'"? I do like your re-ordering of the words.

I guess the use of commas belongs in a different thread.