Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Those are super. The McCoury's are legends, of course, and Iris Dement was born (I'm thinking) perfect and has stayed that way!
    On a side note, I grew up next to the McCoury family in Pennsylvania. They still own the farm house and stop in every once in a while even though they live in Tennessee. When I think of Del I picture a man on a riding mower with his shirt unbuttoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    That same genius was probably the same person who decided it would be a good idea to put 4 toll gates on I-95 in Richmond and Petersburg, where you had to throw a quarter or two into a basket. You'd have to be pretty Crusty to remember those. P.S. How much worse would it be without the I-295 bypass?

(Apologies for the "detour")
    I second DD’s “Grrrr”. Yes, I am crusty.

I was stationed in Maryland, but my girlfriend was home in NC. Made the trip about every other weekend.

Getting back on the right road, and in that time frame, how about:

Ina-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly, but only on an 8-track player.

Quote Originally Posted by lmb View Post
    On a side note, I grew up next to the McCoury family in Pennsylvania. They still own the farm house and stop in every once in a while even though they live in Tennessee. When I think of Del I picture a man on a riding mower with his shirt unbuttoned.
    Did he seem to be high and lonesome?
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Did he seem to be high and lonesome?
    The following piece from The New Yorker (surprisingly) is pretty interesting.

The Discovery of Roscoe Holcomb and the “High Lonesome Sound”

But why read when you can listen and learn?

I'm a big fan of both Vince Gill (who I will see with the Eagles in September) and the magnificent Alison Krauss (who everyone should see/hear in concert). Since I am only permitted to provide one video per post, you may watch and listen to them on Gill's "High Lonesome Sound" here.

Quote Originally Posted by RPS View Post
    The following piece from The New Yorker (surprisingly) is pretty interesting.

The Discovery of Roscoe Holcomb and the “High Lonesome Sound”

But why read when you can listen and learn?

I'm a big fan of both Vince Gill (who I will see with the Eagles in September) and the magnificent Alison Krauss (who everyone should see/hear in concert). Since I am only permitted to provide one video per post, you may watch and listen to them on Gill's "High Lonesome Sound"
    here.
    I too love Alison Krauss. Single and w Union station. And live her duet with Tim Waits on “Missing You”

Has anybody mentioned "Willin' " by Little Feat?

Or "White Line Fever" by Merle Haggard?

You could do a lot worse that Sister Rosetta Tharpe, perhaps the most overlooked talent in rock-n-roll history.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    I too love Alison Krauss. Single and w Union station. And live her duet with Tim Waits on “Missing You”
    Bluegrass fans check out the Mark O’Conner Band first chance you get. Mark has been around since the 80’s playing in super-bands with David Grisman, Sam Bush and Tony Rice. This is mostly an O’Connel family band with his Wife Maggie, son Forest, Forest’s wife Kate. Kate rivals Allison Krause in her prime as a bluegrass singer. It’s a fiddle heavy band as Mark, Maggie and Kate are all fiddlers. Forest is and excellent mandolin player and the the base and guitarist are great too. Probably as tight a bluegrass band as you can find these days.

https://youtu.be/MmIQy0ghgjs

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

The story I heard is that Lowell George wrote “Willin’l while he was in the Mother’s of Unvention, and brought the song to Zappa. Zappa said it’s great, but if you want to play that you better form your own band. So he did.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

I’ve got “Think I’ll just stay here and Drink” by Merle on my drive list. What could be cooler than Merle on the Telecaster with some hot sax?? I’ve always thought the beauty of twang was being able to rhyme “drink” with “bank”.

https://youtu.be/M1bRGH9eD5o

Don’t have any Little Feat on my drive list but I’d pick Dixie Chicken over Willin’. The Commodore hotel is not in Memphis btw.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I’ve got “Think I’ll just stay here and Drink” by Merle on my drive list. What could be cooler than Merle on the Telecaster with some hot sax?? I’ve always thought the beauty of twang was being able to rhyme “drink” with “bank”.

https://youtu.be/M1bRGH9eD5o

Don’t have any Little Feat on my drive list but I’d pick Dixie Chicken over Willin’. The Commodore hotel is not in Memphis btw.
    I’ll just take Waiting for Columbus end to end, and be happy when I get there.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Bluegrass fans check out the Mark O’Conner Band first chance you get. Mark has been around since the 80’s playing in super-bands with David Grisman, Sam Bush and Tony Rice. This is mostly an O’Connel family band with his Wife Maggie, son Forest, Forest’s wife Kate. Kate rivals Allison Krause in her prime as a bluegrass singer. It’s a fiddle heavy band as Mark, Maggie and Kate are all fiddlers. Forest is and excellent mandolin player and the the base and guitarist are great too. Probably as tight a bluegrass band as you can find these days.
    O'Connor's Appalachian Christmas includes guest turns from Alison Krauss, Yo-Yo Ma and more. It's fantastic.

If you're a fan of fiddle music, you might want to pay a visit to Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia. The Scottish music of the 18th C. is beautifully preserved there and played there all the time. Natalie MacMaster is one popular practitioner. And the scenery is unbelievably gorgeous.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!

Some good mood driving songs

Keep on Smilin' -Wet Willie

Do You Know What I Mean? -Lee Michaels

You Make Me Smile -Uncle Kracker

Every Morning -Sugar Ray

Smile, sing, and watch the mile markers go by.