Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I listened to Zach Lowe's podcast with Steve Kerr and he stressed that the Warriors are going to try and get younger this offseason. He said that is a key way to keep things fresh, by having young guys fighting to make their mark and/or stay in the league. He thinks that will force the big 4 (or at least everyone save for flighty Klay) to play more of a mentor role which will also give them something to focus on as the long season unfolds. That sounds like good news for Quinn Cook and bad news for Swaggy, Zaza, David West, JaVale, etc.
    Interesting tidbit. Here's Warriors ages -

Igoudala 34.50
    Livingston 32.75
    Young 33.00
    Pachulia 34.50
    West 37.80
    McGee 30.50

Igoudala and Livingston are under contract for next year and in the rotation. The other guys could theoretically come back for the veteran minimum, but that seems unlikely especially with Durant grabbing more of the salary cap.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    It has been reported that Bronnie's kids have registered in LA schools.

It was on the interweb, so I know it's true.
    Registered for HS even though his kid is going into 8th grade

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Registered for HS even though his kid is going into 8th grade
    It all has to do with the upcoming change in the NBA draft eligibility rule ...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    It all has to do with the upcoming change in the NBA draft eligibility rule ...
    It just proves that Lebron is/isn't the savviest player ever.

Headline on ESPN...

"Winslow arrested on suspicion of sex crimes". I had a mini heart attack.

Thankfully not our Winslow.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    "Winslow arrested on suspicion of sex crimes". I had a mini heart attack.

Thankfully not our Winslow.
    Wheewww. I thought exactly the same thing. Looks like Winslow (Kellen) is running into more and more trouble with the law. I wonder if he still thinks he is a soldier.

So, it looks like the long time speculation that Kawhi wants out of San Antonio is getting some more burn. It is still speculation (or at least unsourced information), but it has seemed fairly obvious based on the failure to publicly deny it by Kawhi that this was the case. The ESPN report lists Lakers as his desired landing spot. The problem is this: The Lakers have virtually nothing to offer for Kawhi in trade, including good draft picks (their fairly low value future picks would get even more worthless if they add Kawhi and/or LeBron). If I were the Spurs I would either find a better trade partner, or just keep him for two more years and see about negotiating a sign and trade down the line. Does anyone else see a viable trade landing Kawhi with the Lakers? Would it require another team (or more)?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-antonio-spurs

Woj bomb - Kawhi wants out

https://twitter.com/wojespn?ref_src=...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Woj also reports that his preferred trade destination is the LA Lakers. This sets up nicely for Paul George (who was recently seen at the E3 gaming convention in LA with Lakers' guard Josh Hart), Kawhi, and LeBron to team up in LA.

I believe the most logical trade to get this done would be Kawhi for some combo of assets that includes Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, and Luol Deng, likely with a draft pick or 2.

Hard to say for sure, without seeing the full roster and what they do in free agency, but that team looks very dangerous. I wouldn't be very happy about this development if I were a Warriors fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    So, it looks like the long time speculation that Kawhi wants out of San Antonio is getting some more burn. It is still speculation (or at least unsourced information), but it has seemed fairly obvious based on the failure to publicly deny it by Kawhi that this was the case. The ESPN report lists Lakers as his desired landing spot. The problem is this: The Lakers have virtually nothing to offer for Kawhi in trade, including good draft picks (their fairly low value future picks would get even more worthless if they add Kawhi and/or LeBron). If I were the Spurs I would either find a better trade partner, or just keep him for two more years and see about negotiating a sign and trade down the line. Does anyone else see a viable trade landing Kawhi with the Lakers? Would it require another team (or more)?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-antonio-spurs
    The only viable trade route would involve sending Kuzma and one of Ball or Ingram, plus maybe some picks. The Spurs do a pretty good job of getting value out of lower picks. And if LA sent enough of them they might be able to entice them. But, yeah, it's probably going to require two of the Lakers' top prospects plus stuff to get Kawhi.

That being said, it might still work for LA even if they give away, say, Kuzma and Ball. They would have the cap space to sign (for example) Paul George and LeBron. A team of LeBron, Leonard, George, and Ingram plus whatever else they can put around those guys would be pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The only viable trade route would involve sending Kuzma and one of Ball or Ingram, plus maybe some picks. The Spurs do a pretty good job of getting value out of lower picks. And if LA sent enough of them they might be able to entice them. But, yeah, it's probably going to require two of the Lakers' top prospects plus stuff to get Kawhi.

That being said, it might still work for LA even if they give away, say, Kuzma and Ball. They would have the cap space to sign (for example) Paul George and LeBron. A team of LeBron, Leonard, George, and Ingram plus whatever else they can put around those guys would be pretty interesting.
    Another article I saw suggested that, to stay under the cap while signing George, LeBron, and trading for Leonard would require that Deng be included in the deal, as even waving him and stretching the contract doesn't get them there.

I know this has happened several times, but what are some recent (say, last 10 years) examples of teams trading a guy near the end of their contract after it becomes clear they won't resign? My gut feeling says that the teams who make those trades would at least sometimes, if not usually, have ended up better off in the long run just letting the players walk at the end of their contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Another article I saw suggested that, to stay under the cap while signing George, LeBron, and trading for Leonard would require that Deng be included in the deal, as even waving him and stretching the contract doesn't get them there.

I know this has happened several times, but what are some recent (say, last 10 years) examples of teams trading a guy near the end of their contract after it becomes clear they won't resign? My gut feeling says that the teams who make those trades would at least sometimes, if not usually, have ended up better off in the long run just letting the players walk at the end of their contract.
    Oh for sure. Deng would have to go in the deal too. Just saying what value the Lakers would have to give back.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    https://twitter.com/wojespn?ref_src=...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Woj also reports that his preferred trade destination is the LA Lakers. This sets up nicely for Paul George (who was recently seen at the E3 gaming convention in LA with Lakers' guard Josh Hart), Kawhi, and LeBron to team up in LA.

I believe the most logical trade to get this done would be Kawhi for some combo of assets that includes Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, and Luol Deng, likely with a draft pick or 2.

Hard to say for sure, without seeing the full roster and what they do in free agency, but that team looks very dangerous. I wouldn't be very happy about this development if I were a Warriors fan.
    As one who detests all things related to the Ball family, I would be fascinated to see Lonzo moved to the Spurs and have to answer to Coach Pop, in addition to having to live in San Antonio, not LA. Optimistically, it could be the best thing that could happen to Lonzo, though that would also mean that it would likely be the worst thing that could happen to his dad.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Oh for sure. Deng would have to go in the deal too. Just saying what value the Lakers would have to give back.
    Right, I guess I'm not convinced it would be worth it for the Spurs. Over the weekend I think I'm going to try to look at how these things panned out for other teams in similar situations that made the trade. The Spurs would not be championship contenders, would not be bad enough to secure high draft picks in the future, and would not be receiving any high draft picks in the trade. Seems like a pathway to long-term mediocrity, I have to wonder (and the Spurs organization is one that I trust is smart enough to evaluate this) if they aren't better off just hanging onto him and rebuilding after he leaves.

I think the Celtics can offer the best package of players and picks, but am not sure (as another smart front office) that they would part with it for what could just be a 2 year loan.

Can San Antonio take Lonzo Ball but force the Lakers to keep his father?

Is that covered by the CBA?

So, Kwahi for Deng works straight up under the cap, but that deal ain't gonna happen.

Kwahi plus Bryn Forbes for Deng, Ball, and Kuzma also works under the cap. If you throw in a trade asset or two, that might interest San Antonio.

If the Spurs are really greedy, maybe they ask for all the Lakers young studs and not Luol Deng... Leonard for Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, and a couple other throw in salaries (Josh Hart and Tyler Innis) also works under the cap. If I was San Antonio, that is what I would try to get. I think the Lakers would probably make that deal too because having Kwahi would make them a very desirable destination for Lebron and PG13. Then you fill the rest of the roster with vets who are ring chasing and willing to take smaller salaries.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, Kwahi for Deng works straight up under the cap, but that deal ain't gonna happen.

Kwahi plus Bryn Forbes for Deng, Ball, and Kuzma also works under the cap. If you throw in a trade asset or two, that might interest San Antonio.

If the Spurs are really greedy, maybe they ask for all the Lakers young studs and not Luol Deng... Leonard for Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, and a couple other throw in salaries (Josh Hart and Tyler Innis) also works under the cap. If I was San Antonio, that is what I would try to get. I think the Lakers would probably make that deal too because having Kwahi would make them a very desirable destination for Lebron and PG13. Then you fill the rest of the roster with vets who are ring chasing and willing to take smaller salaries.
    I agree this is what the Spurs should angle for. I am just baffled by what the Lakers would be left with. Is a year older LBJ, Paul George, and Leonard with a mysterious injury with no support better than LBJ, Love, and JR Smith with middling pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I agree this is what the Spurs should angle for. I am just baffled by what the Lakers would be left with. Is a year older LBJ, Paul George, and Leonard with a mysterious injury with no support better than LBJ, Love, and JR Smith with middling pieces?
    Yea any way you slice it the Lakers are going to be left very thin if they do what is needed to get LBJ, George and Leonard. They'll have one mid-level exemption to use on someone like Nerlens Noel but the bench is going to be ring-chasing vets and castoffs. They've pretty much got to keep at least one of Ingram and Ball to make it work. Ball is a bigger cap hit so they'd probably rather move him and keep Ingram, but SA might be more interested in Ingram. (I know I would be - Ball seems like a headache.)

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but the NBA has sent a memo saying it is reviewing one and done but nothing will happen before 2021. So teams need to consider this when trading future draft picks, as the draft the year they get rid of it will be loaded. I think the NBA is smart in being transparent about this - sooner would be better than later, but there are a lot of implications of this potential change that they are working through.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ility-shift-21

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but the NBA has sent a memo saying it is reviewing one and done but nothing will happen before 2021. So teams need to consider this when trading future draft picks, as the draft the year they get rid of it will be loaded. I think the NBA is smart in being transparent about this - sooner would be better than later, but there are a lot of implications of this potential change that they are working through.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ility-shift-21
    One and done is very good for the NBA. They are stalling any change is this requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Not sure why you included JR Smith in that equation, any more than you would include Kyle Korver or Jordan Clarkson. LBJ with Leonard, who is a dynamic defender and versatile offensive player, and Paul George, ditto but not quite as much of either, are better than Love+Smith/Clarkson/Korver. Love is a very good player, but doesn't seem to pair all that well with LBJ, and he's not athletic enough to quite get to elite anymore. So to answer your question, i would say yes, and probably by quite a bit. That being said, i don't think those 3 + middling pieces, randos and a mid-level exception are going to be able to beat the Warriors. Those 3 would still need a high-quality PG and a very tough rebounder, which i'm not able to think of any randos who fit that description. Tristan Thompson is a good very rebounder, but his deficiencies in other areas with regards to the modern style of play were painfully obvious in the Finals. George Hill is a quality PG, but his performance in the Finals did not rise to the level of high-quality, IMHO.