Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Hood never looked like he was comfortable playing with James. LeBron is such a dominating presence, he can overwhelm even his teammates. I suspect that happened with Hood.
    It is worth noting that Hood was one of the best players on the floor in game 3 of the NBA finals. When he finally got some run and Cleveland was letting him play his game, he seemed like a pretty solid NBA player. I agree that playing with a ball dominant guy like James was a problem for Rodney. He can probably have a really nice role in the league as a 6th man who plays an instant offense/Vinnie Johnson kind of role when a team's star takes a rest (though he certainly had some very nice games with Donovan Mitchell before he got traded).

-Jason "Rodney will get chances to shine with Cleveland this coming season... he's going to play for his 1-year option, I'm almost sure of it" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Good news for Big Jah: A lot of reports going around that the Pelicans and Jahlil Okafor are in talks on a training camp invite. Coincidentally, the backup center for the Pelicans is Emeka Okafor, who is 35 and just ended a multi-year hiatus from the NBA. They also have former KU standout (or is it holdout?) Cheik Diallo as a backup big man.

This could be a good landing spot for Jah. He has supposedly been working on his jumper, which would allow him to play the modern NBA center position better. He is still so young and with so much obvious talent. His defensive stats are better than the eye test would lead you to believe. For instance, he has better defensive stats than Karl Anthony Towns. Being a guy that can rebound, block a couple of shots, and drain a few shots off the bench can keep you around in the league for a long time. There is some value there.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Being a guy that can rebound, block a couple of shots, and drain a few shots off the bench can keep you around in the league for a long time. There is some value there.
    Except Jah's block rate has been a little below average for an NBA center, his rebound rate has been a lot below average, and he has a long way to go before he's a legitimate option to drain a few shots off the bench. His value is that he's a scoring, back-to-the-basket center. Unless he finds a team that values that particular skill (or a time machine), he might be out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Except Jah's block rate has been a little below average for an NBA center, his rebound rate has been a lot below average, and he has a long way to go before he's a legitimate option to drain a few shots off the bench. His value is that he's a scoring, back-to-the-basket center. Unless he finds a team that values that particular skill (or a time machine), he might be out of luck.
    All true. But, in a best case scenario--i.e., assuming he can get better than he's so far proven to be--he'll be offering similar skills as Julius Randle, an undersized post-player who can't shoot from outside or defend the rim. New Orleans is planning to pair Randle with Anthony Davis, and Davis can cover a lot of sins with his tremendous talent level and versatile skill set. Maybe he can do the same for Jahlil?

I'm grasping at straws a bit because Jahlil's NBA performance has been very bad so far, but there is an optimistic view that he could fit well with the Pelicans.

RE: Okafor.

There's no question that his rebounding and defense have been sub-standard for an NBA center.

The question is why? Is there something in his body that makes him incapable of doing these things at an NBA level?

Or is it a question of focus and effort?

If it's the latter, then there's a clear path to his becoming a valuable asset. You don't have to be able to knock down 3s. Rudy Gobert, DeAndre Jordan, Andre Drummond and other bigs can't shoot from outside. But they can defend and rebound. Can Okafor?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    RE: Okafor.

There's no question that his rebounding and defense have been sub-standard for an NBA center.

The question is why? Is there something in his body that makes him incapable of doing these things at an NBA level?

Or is it a question of focus and effort?

If it's the latter, then there's a clear path to his becoming a valuable asset. You don't have to be able to knock down 3s. Rudy Gobert, DeAndre Jordan, Andre Drummond and other bigs can't shoot from outside. But they can defend and rebound. Can Okafor?
    To be fair, there IS a discernible difference between Drummond, Jordan, Gobert, and Okafor. Gobert and Jordan have a 4-6” standing reach advantage (Gobert based on height, Jordan based on wingspan, and are more athletic. Drummond only has a little bit of an edge in height and reach, but a decent edge in athleticism. All three play much more above the rim than Okafor.

There is also probably a fair amount of “want-to” limitation as well, but there are also definite physical differences Okafor must overcome relative to those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    To be fair, there IS a discernible difference between Drummond, Jordan, Gobert, and Okafor. Gobert and Jordan have a 4-6” standing reach advantage (Gobert based on height, Jordan based on wingspan, and are more athletic. Drummond only has a little bit of an edge in height and reach, but a decent edge in athleticism. All three play much more above the rim than Okafor.

There is also probably a fair amount of “want-to” limitation as well, but there are also definite physical differences Okafor must overcome relative to those guys.
    This brings back memories of Charles Barkley and Dennis Rodman... ultimate "want-to" guys...

“Want to” had a trendous effect on Charles Barkley’s career. He did want to rebound. He did not want to play defense.

Woj just tweeted that Oak has signed a deal with the Pelicans. Terms haven't been disclosed. I hope it's a guaranteed deal and they are committed to letting him develop and play.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Woj just tweeted that Oak has signed a deal with the Pelicans. Terms haven't been disclosed. I hope it's a guaranteed deal and they are committed to letting him develop and play.
    Woj bomb just dropped that it's a partial guarantee on this season and a team option on 2019-20.

Interesting terms and somewhat comparable (but for much less money) to Jabari Parker's deal with the Bulls. Basically, both players and teams are in a "show me" position to secure a bigger role or deal. This is going to be a sort of make-it-or-break-it season for the two Dukies from Chicago. As a Chicago native, I selfishly want both to end up on the Bulls soon. I guess I'll just have to enjoy the services of Wendell Carter, Jr. in the meantime. What a luxury!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    To be fair, there IS a discernible difference between Drummond, Jordan, Gobert, and Okafor.
    Of course, Jim only mentioned fairly elite guys who can't shoot. There are loads of big guys who can't shoot, are discernibly worse than the guys Jim listed, and have still stuck around a long time in this day and age.

Tristan Thompson, Nene, Marcin Gortat, Zaza Pachulia, Miles Plumlee, Steven Adams, Robin Lopez, for starters. None of those guys are great shot-blockers, either. But none of been accused of lacking effort - that, not shooting, is Okafor's biggest hurdle.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Of course, Jim only mentioned fairly elite guys who can't shoot. There are loads of big guys who can't shoot, are discernibly worse than the guys Jim listed, and have still stuck around a long time in this day and age.

Tristan Thompson, Nene, Marcin Gortat, Zaza Pachulia, Miles Plumlee, Steven Adams, Robin Lopez, for starters. None of those guys are great shot-blockers, either. But none of been accused of lacking effort - that, not shooting, is Okafor's biggest hurdle.
    Well, the fact still remains that all those guys have better career stats than Jah does. Of the eight players you name, Jah has the lowest career total rebounding percentage and the second-lowest true shooting percentage (barely ahead of Pachulia), for example. He's probably the worst defender of the bunch, as well. Jah can score on the block, and I wish him well, but he's got a lot of work to do before he's a rotation NBA player.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Well, the fact still remains that all those guys have better career stats than Jah does. Of the eight players you name, Jah has the lowest career total rebounding percentage and the second-lowest true shooting percentage (barely ahead of Pachulia), for example. He's probably the worst defender of the bunch, as well. Jah can score on the block, and I wish him well, but he's got a lot of work to do before he's a rotation NBA player.
    For Kedsy and CDu, it used to be said that the only two groups that believed in the perfectibility of mankind were Catholic priests and recruiting sergeants. Can't we generate a little hopeful optimism about Jah here on DBR?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Woj bomb just dropped that it's a partial guarantee on this season and a team option on 2019-20.

Interesting terms and somewhat comparable (but for much less money) to Jabari Parker's deal with the Bulls. Basically, both players and teams are in a "show me" position to secure a bigger role or deal. This is going to be a sort of make-it-or-break-it season for the two Dukies from Chicago. As a Chicago native, I selfishly want both to end up on the Bulls soon. I guess I'll just have to enjoy the services of Wendell Carter, Jr. in the meantime. What a luxury!
    Eric Pincus of Basketball Insiders, who is the best current source on this sort of thing is reporting that the contract only carries a $50,000 guarantee, which makes it pretty much the most team-friendly that it could practically be.

which team? Let’s play...

https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeNBA/s...992896/photo/1

Jayson
    Harry
    Frank
    Luke

vs.

Marvin
    Wendell
    Grayson
    Trent

????

2 years 8 draft picks
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post

Jayson
    Harry
    Frank
    Luke

vs.

Marvin
    Wendell
    Grayson
    Trent

????

2 years 8 draft picks
    That top squad and it's not that close for me.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post

Jayson
    Harry
    Frank
    Luke

vs.

Marvin
    Wendell
    Grayson
    Trent

????

2 years 8 draft picks
    That bottom squad. Edge Jayson over Marvin, edge Wendell over Harry (we really don't know what Harry can do), significant edge Grayson over Frank who should still be at Duke, slight edge Trent over Luke (defense matters). Note I love all these guys and hope they have productive seasons in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    That bottom squad. Edge Jayson over Marvin, edge Wendell over Harry (we really don't know what Harry can do), significant edge Grayson over Frank who should still be at Duke, slight edge Trent over Luke (defense matters). Note I love all these guys and hope they have productive seasons in the NBA.
    I don't see one guy on that bottom squad better offensively than Tatum, Frank or Luke. Defensively these squads might be a push.

Tatum > Bagley
    Frank > Grayson
    Luke > Trent
    Giles < Carter

Those first 3 aren't close at all to me.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I don't see one guy on that bottom squad better offensively than Tatum, Frank or Luke. Defensively these squads might be a push.

Tatum > Bagley
    Frank > Grayson
    Luke > Trent
    Giles < Carter

Those first 3 aren't close at all to me.
    Really? I think Wendell and Grayson are both better than Frank. Grayson was a first round pick who is going to be a rotation player as a rookie. True, he's 2 years older, but Frank hasn't exactly proven much in the league yet. Granted, he's been hurt, but he's done nothing of relevance in his professional career. Grayson at least made a splash at the summer league.

Jayson is the best player of the entire bunch, but I would take the Grayson/Bagley/Carter/Trent team in a 4 on 4 game. Luke is still a bad defender and Frank is the worst player of the 8 IMO. Trent is probably the 7th best guy here, but at least he has NBA 2 guard size and is a reliable shooter.

Frank is a great athlete, and should eventually develop into a pretty good scorer, but he is a bit of a tweener, since he's undersized for a 2 guard but can't really play point guard. Those types of guards sometimes have a hard time finding a consistent role on NBA teams, unless they are unreal scorers, like Allen Iverson or Lou Williams.
    Last edited by kAzE; 08-14-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Really? I think Wendell and Grayson are both better than Frank. Grayson was a first round pick who is going to be a rotation player as a rookie. True, he's 2 years older, but Frank hasn't exactly proven much in the league yet. Granted, he's been hurt, but he's done nothing of relevance in his professional career. Grayson at least made a splash at the summer league.

Jayson is the best player of the entire bunch, but I would take the Grayson/Bagley/Carter/Trent team in a 4 on 4 game. Luke is still a bad defender and Frank is the worst player of the 8 IMO. Trent is probably the 7th best guy here, but at least he has NBA 2 guard size and is a reliable shooter.

Frank is a great athlete, and should eventually develop into a pretty good scorer, but he is a bit of a tweener, since he's undersized for a 2 guard but can't really play point guard. Those types of guards sometimes have a hard time finding a consistent role on NBA teams, unless they are unreal scorers, like Allen Iverson or Lou Williams.
    I would take Frank as the 2nd best of that group. Elite athlete, great shooter, good defender and solid ball handler i would say he's better than Allen at all of those things. Allen only has him in decision making and that shouldn't take Frank long to figure out.