Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    I can overlook her over-the-top analogy (which I am guessing the media reports are pushing to even further sensationalize their pieces) since she is calling out the NCAA, which I am hoping most people agree needs reform. Anything that digs into the NCAA is OK with me because I think they deserve a lot of flak.
    Yeah, but over-the-top anologies can be harmful and false. Coach K was not a slave master, Wendell was not a slave. It is offensive and false. It doesn't further any reasonable discussion on the issues.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 05-07-2018 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

Always idiotic to compare any situation or people to slavery or Nazis. Unless it's slavery or Nazis.

I'm getting tired of these parents. I've always considered being born in the United States as winning the birth lottery (yes, we can always make the country better but we have a pretty good baseline). These parents have won the reverse-birth lottery. They're going to be rich because one of their children has a special skill, but we see 99% of their siblings don't have it, let alone all the other kids on the planet.

I miss the days when Coach K would tell these parents to pound salt (Kris Humphries, anyone?). Though she is likely nothing like his dad was, and Wendell's apparently such a great kid that it was worth it to him. We don't know her, but another poster was right to point out the disingenuousness of her recent utterances.

Look, I know she cares about her kid, but she's not doing him any favors. And the NCAA stinks but this is fully the NBA's fault. But in their defense, it's their league and they can set the rules however they want. All companies have rules and requirements about who they will employ. Would IBM have hired Bill Gates without a college degree? Probably not, but he was free to start his own business. Her son had options, he chose the best.

I am sorry, Mrs. Carter, but what does this have to do with intercollegiate athletics? It's 100 percent the NBA. The NBA does not allow players to enter the league until one year after HS graduation. Wendell could play any place on earth except the NBA and take whatever is offered as salary. As it turns out, the colleges offer the exact same deal to every athlete -- free education and some stipends in return for joining an athletic team. Why are the NCAA and the colleges at fault?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I am sorry, Mrs. Carter, but what does this have to do with intercollegiate athletics? It's 100 percent the NBA. The NBA does not allow players to enter the league until one year after HS graduation. Wendell could play any place on earth except the NBA and take whatever is offered as salary. As it turns out, the colleges offer the exact same deal to every athlete -- free education and some stipends in return for joining an athletic team. Why are the NCAA and the colleges at fault?
    Because the NCAA markets itself as a non-profit that makes billions for its member programs? Because the NCAA has the dumbest rules in the world for its most important assets (the athletes themselves)? Because kids always feel like they're being manipulated and abused by an organization intended to protect and guide them?

The NBA is looking out for itself and its members. The NCAA only looks for the best ways to make their member schools money.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Because the NCAA markets itself as a non-profit that makes billions for its member programs? Because the NCAA has the dumbest rules in the world for its most important assets (the athletes themselves)? Because kids always feel like they're being manipulated and abused by an organization intended to protect and guide them?

The NBA is looking out for itself and its members. The NCAA only looks for the best ways to make their member schools money.
    Are you anti-capitalist? (yes, I am ducking...but I'm also more than a bit serious)

Quote Originally Posted by gocanes0506 View Post
    Sometimes kids have to tell their parents they are ruining their life and truly mean it. This is one of those cases. If I am a GM, I avoid overbearing parents like her and Ball. Ball more so but in the end I wouldnt want her either. Is she going to cause me grief as I do the responsible thing and offer her son a contract that is beneficial to the organization? That contract offer may be market value but will it be enough value for her baby boy? I wouldnt want to find out. Would she relate my organization, my owner, or me as some slave owner? IDK, but I wouldnt want to find out.

In the end, the NCAA is far from slavery and it is sad that she is allowed to say those things. Is it equal pay to work, no. What organization any where gives you equal pay to service rendered? NFL players work for a 7 billion dollar organization. Outside of QBs, none make worth service rendered. When I was a production supervisor, my guys filled up a 55 gallon drum that sold for thousand dollars or so. They made ~20 dollars an hour.

If she wished to call it unfair, okay I can give you that. The NCAA has made a stupid amount of money lately. To call it slavery, that is more unfair to slaves than the NCAA is to the players. Sadly enough, Duke's name will be associated with her ridiculousness for eternity.
    Good point. It is ironic that she is clearly focused on maximizing Wendell's earning potential but by being so outspoken and controversial, she is potentially costing him money as some teams might choose to stay away from him. She is far milder than Ball the Buffoon, but would still be best off measuring her words.

Comparing this situation to slavery is ridiculous. I would be thrilled for my kids to have preferential admissions to the college of their choice, a free ride and the opportunity to hobnob with powerful alumni. I would be thrilled to have one of the three of those. Many argue that this is not sufficient compensation (I tend to disagree), but I think everyone agrees this is a non-trivial award.

I wish the media would stop putting a microphone in front of her, but the more she talks, the more attention she will get. Wendell would be wise to tell her to stop talking, at least until after the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Are you anti-capitalist? (yes, I am ducking...but I'm also more than a bit serious)
    I'm incredibly capitalistic. I just hate the idea that the asset generating ALL the value doesn't receive a cent.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by SueAxe View Post
    The sport is largely comprised of African-American athletes, many of whom have the potential to earn millions, and they are treated poorly and deprived of cashing on.
    Very few will end up making millions. Even can't miss prospects like Okafor and Greg Oden are not a sure bet for a long term NBA career.

The rest of them are getting a free ride for an education that opens up career paths like HS coaching.

It is an NBA rule that has resulted in the OAD system, not an NCAA rule. The Carters and others chose the best clear path given that rule. Mrs. Carter should direct her frustration at the NBA, not the NCAA. The NCAA will make just as much money without the OADs in the system, as it did in the mid 00s.

I'm incredibly capitalistic. I just hate the idea that the asset generating ALL the value doesn't receive a cent.
    My point was more 'What do you expect the NCAA to do for it's members?'.

Also, to this comment, there is more to compensation than cents. If Mrs. Carter wants cents (or trunk meat), I hear there is a team in Lithuania looking for players. They just lost a couple last week.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Yeah, but over-the-top anologies can be harmful and false. Coach K was not a slave master, Wendell was not a slave. It is offensive and false. It doesn't further any reasonable discussion on the issues.
    I can overlook a reference to slavery (though from what I saw she never called K a slave master). In general if protesters don't do what they do, then the status quo will just try to conduct business as usual. I'm all for the NCAA taking hits, wherever they come from.

9F

Apart from Wendell's mother's comments, that I vigorously disagree with, we get into a recurring loop here. Some think that college kids should be compensated. Others, like me, worked hard to put my kids through college and would have been grateful for a Duke scholarship to help my kids and ease my financial burden.

I lean on the side of looking at Title IX and non revenue sports and wonder how a college can compensate Wendell Carter but not a swimmer, wrestler, female lacrosse player etc. I don't have the answer but it is legally problematic.

I believe in the free market. Let any high school kid declare for the NBA and succeed or suffer the consequences if it doesn't work. I'm tired of people blaming the NCAA and Duke for an NBA rule. For every kid who succeeds in an open market, there are probably two kids who fail. That's not Duke's problem.

I can overlook a reference to slavery (though from what I saw she never called K a slave master). In general if protesters don't do what they do, then the status quo will just try to conduct business as usual. I'm all for the NCAA taking hits, wherever they come from.

9F
    You can't be a slave without a slave master, right?

Wasn't Mrs. Carter the parent who wanted Wendell to return for his sophomore year at Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Wasn't Mrs. Carter the parent who wanted Wendell to return for his sophomore year at Duke?
    Yup. My guess? Mrs Carter loves college for academics. Not for sports.

Can’t say I blame her.

Quote Originally Posted by ipatent View Post
    Very few will end up making millions. Even can't miss prospects like Okafor and Greg Oden are not a sure bet for a long term NBA career.

The rest of them are getting a free ride for an education that opens up career paths like HS coaching.

It is an NBA rule that has resulted in the OAD system, not an NCAA rule. The Carters and others chose the best clear path given that rule. Mrs. Carter should direct her frustration at the NBA, not the NCAA. The NCAA will make just as much money without the OADs in the system, as it did in the mid 00s.
    But if she does that, she'll really start costing her son some money.

...oh, I get it now!

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    You can't be a slave without a slave master, right?
    I think in her view this is the NCAA as a whole. But you'd have to ask her.

I also think to focus on this is ignoring the main point.

Wasn't she in favor of her son attending Harvard? What, does Harvard basketball not play in the NCAA? Isn't it the same "slave-like" system? Is playing overseas also like slavery? If not, then why didn't you encourage your son to choose something that wasn't so allegedly exploitive?

I think in her view this is the NCAA as a whole. But you'd have to ask her.

I also think to focus on this is ignoring the main point.
    An
    With all due respect, I disagree. Word have meaning. An allegation of slavery is disturbing, dishonest, and wrong. I'm willing to just agree to disagree on this but these are very serious and wrongheaded allegations.

K and his staff are worthless?

A Duke education is worthless?

Almost constant game exposure on national television is worthless?

i could see comparing it to one year of indentured servitude but even that is quite a stretch.