Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Wendell Carter's Mother Is Angry

From ESPN:
    In an emotional address on Monday at a meeting of the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics, Kylia Carter, mother of former Duke basketball star Wendell Carter, compared the current system of NCAA basketball to slavery and a prison system.

"When you remove all the bling and the bells and the sneakers and all that," she said, "you've paid for a child to come to your school to do what you wanted them to do for you, for free, and you made a lot of money when he did that, and you've got all these rules in place that say he cannot share in any of that. The only other time when labor does not get paid but yet someone else gets profits and the labor is black and the profit is white, is in slavery.

Colleges offer what they offer. Carter and his parents knew the deal coming in. If you don't like the deal, don't take it. If they genuinely regarded it as slavery, they could have opted out by negotiating a contract to play overseas. They didn't choose that option. Her anger is being directed at the NCAA but the problem is that the NBA won't offer contracts to 18 year olds and they're afraid to play overseas.

If you're the NCAA, try designing a system to pay players. Sure, Duke can afford to pay players but can ECU or Elon? There are far, far more ECUs and Elons in the world than Dukes. How do you have a competition where some schools can afford to pay players and others can't? If you do pay players, do Wendell Carter and Antonio Vrankovich get paid the same amount? I'm pretty sure that Mrs. Carter would believe that her son was still being ripped off if that were the case. What should we have -- open bidding for the services of HS seniors or, perhaps, a draft of HS players? The fact is that for the vast majority of college basketball players, a scholarship is a good deal. I don't see changing the whole system in order to accommodate a handful of players each year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treatm..._United_States

Nope. Sorry. No love here for the NCAA or the OAD rule but comparisons like this are... not smart.

We all (deservedly) mocked Roy Williams for his comments about Haiti. No interest in mocking a Duke player's mom but this is largely the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    From Sure, Duke can afford to pay players but can ECU or Elon? .
    Neither can Duke, when you throw in the football team as well as the basketball team...and if hoops players get paid, so will football players. And the non revs will try as well.

It's difficult to take this type of diatribe seriously. I feel badly saying this because Wendell seemed like a great kid and, by all accounts, is a good student. The casual comparison of something, here college basketball, to slavery is terrible and should be insulting to anyone who has experienced or even studied slavery.

I am in favor of kids going straight from high school to the NBA. However, I am offended by her notion that Wendell's year at Duke, with a great education, great medical assistance, television exposure, and a great coach is in anyway comparable to slavery or indentured servitude.

I'm not going to restate all the obvious arguments about the choices Wendell had.

I'm a little angry at this and will resist further comment.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    ...and if hoops players get paid, so will football players. And the non revs will try as well.
    And then, how much based on what? Gross income, ticket sales, apparel sales/team, ad revenue, or more similar to an on campus job in Perkins?

Geesh, it's dog chasing tail season. Round and round and round.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    If they genuinely regarded it as slavery, they could have opted out by negotiating a contract to play overseas. They didn't choose that option.
    Ugh.

They chose the clear best option for Wendell. Sorry it makes you uncomfortable for Wendell’s mom to point out some problems with that option.
    Carolina delenda est

Sometimes kids have to tell their parents they are ruining their life and truly mean it. This is one of those cases. If I am a GM, I avoid overbearing parents like her and Ball. Ball more so but in the end I wouldnt want her either. Is she going to cause me grief as I do the responsible thing and offer her son a contract that is beneficial to the organization? That contract offer may be market value but will it be enough value for her baby boy? I wouldnt want to find out. Would she relate my organization, my owner, or me as some slave owner? IDK, but I wouldnt want to find out.

In the end, the NCAA is far from slavery and it is sad that she is allowed to say those things. Is it equal pay to work, no. What organization any where gives you equal pay to service rendered? NFL players work for a 7 billion dollar organization. Outside of QBs, none make worth service rendered. When I was a production supervisor, my guys filled up a 55 gallon drum that sold for thousand dollars or so. They made ~20 dollars an hour.

If she wished to call it unfair, okay I can give you that. The NCAA has made a stupid amount of money lately. To call it slavery, that is more unfair to slaves than the NCAA is to the players. Sadly enough, Duke's name will be associated with her ridiculousness for eternity.

Ageee that comparing it to slavery is going too far; nobody forced Wendell to come to duke and play. I can understand the frustrations of players who feel they are being exploited, but the analogy is ill-fitting. I remember when Rashaad McCants said that playing for UNC was like being in prison and we all had a good laugh at that.

Still, I am glad she is speaking up and saying what many feel yet do not say. The system obviously needs reform and change will only come about by people being willing to take risks and challenge the norm.

I actually enjoyed hearing what she had to say. Is it over the top? Sure although I don't think Kylia was really suggesting that playing at Duke was like being in prison or being a slave. But her point is well taken. The sport is largely comprised of African-American athletes, many of whom have the potential to earn millions, and they are treated poorly and deprived of cashing on. They can't profit from their own likenesses, while the NCAA runs all sorts of ads using film of them playing. They can't sign with agents and yet, they have a lot of the downside of celebrity, like being the subject of twitter fire and facebook attacks (like Wendell's name being in an agent's ledger). I liked her point that they are told that they are getting paid in a free education even though that is not the currency of their choosing. It is a bad look for the NCAA. With money awash in high school/college basketball and none of it legitimately going to the very entities that make the game so lucrative, ie the players, it is simply disgusting that there will be no meaningful reforms. Could Wendell have gone to Europe, sure, but really why should he have to. This system breeds corruption and needs to change. I love seeing someone call out the hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Neither can Duke, when you throw in the football team as well as the basketball team...and if hoops players get paid, so will football players. And the non revs will try as well.
    not only will they try, but they have to be. title IX. every dime spent on a male athlete must have an equivalent spent on a female.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Ageee that comparing it to slavery is going too far; nobody forced Wendell to come to duke and play. I can understand the frustrations of players who feel they are being exploited, but the analogy is ill-fitting. I remember when Rashaad McCants said that playing for UNC was like being in prison and we all had a good laugh at that.

Still, I am glad she is speaking up and saying what many feel yet do not say. The system obviously needs reform and change will only come about by people being willing to take risks and challenge the norm.
    Comparing Wendell’s 9-month plight at Duke to slavery is horrible and makes a mockery of actual slavery. No excuse for her comments.

Quote Originally Posted by SueAxe View Post
    I actually enjoyed hearing what she had to say. Is it over the top? Sure although I don't think Kylia was really suggesting that playing at Duke was like being in prison or being a slave. But her point is well taken. The sport is largely comprised of African-American athletes, many of whom have the potential to earn millions, and they are treated poorly and deprived of cashing on. They can't profit from their own likenesses, while the NCAA runs all sorts of ads using film of them playing. They can't sign with agents and yet, they have a lot of the downside of celebrity, like being the subject of twitter fire and facebook attacks (like Wendell's name being in an agent's ledger). I liked her point that they are told that they are getting paid in a free education even though that is not the currency of their choosing. It is a bad look for the NCAA. With money awash in high school/college basketball and none of it legitimately going to the very entities that make the game so lucrative, ie the players, it is simply disgusting that there will be no meaningful reforms. Could Wendell have gone to Europe, sure, but really why should he have to. This system breeds corruption and needs to change. I love seeing someone call out the hypocrisy.
    Do you see any hypocrisy, faulty logic, or self interest in Wendell's mother's statements?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Ugh.

They chose the clear best option for Wendell. Sorry it makes you uncomfortable for Wendell’s mom to point out some problems with that option.
    she didn't just point out some problems, she made a horribly over-the-top comparison that is hugely insulting to anyone who has even a passing understanding of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    not only will they try, but they have to be. title IX. every dime spent on a male athlete must have an equivalent spent on a female.
    Mere details that should never get in ythe way of a good rant.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    You can't say those words, and also say your son should go back to Duke before he declared. One of them turns out to be disingenuous, and it's pretty obvious which one that is.
    Very disheartening comments.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Good for Mrs. Carter

Yeah, the analogy went too far. But she's creating headlines. And she's right that the NCAA is a horrible organization.

GO MRS. CARTER!!!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Is she yelling at the NCAA or Coach K, or both? K is white and making a ton of money.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

So we're back on this topic. Yeah, let's retool a system that works just fine for several thousand players just to make the Golden Boys of the sport happy.

I'm sorry these kids dislike the options available to them, but that's often how it is in life. Time for them to learn a cold, hard lesson that many of them seem to have never faced while growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by SueAxe View Post
    But her point is well taken[...][NCAA basketball athletes] are treated poorly
    Uh, what? I would LOVE for my son or daughter to be "treated poorly" by being able to attend and be a part of Duke's basketball program on a full-ride scholarhip with an insane amount of perks and amazing connections for life. They are treated like KINGS. Yes, you could obviously argue that they are not being paid market rate, but to say they're "treated poorly" is ridiculous. All this "woe is me" talk makes me think that the NCAA should just kill sports (and then only the students that get in on ACADEMIC merit could join club teams) and then we'll see how top basketball players really feel with their options remaining. But it'd be a shame because it only applies to like 15 guys a year and everybody else would be collateral damage. Being so over the top and comparing it to slavery is totally counter-productive to what they're trying to achieve. It's an absolute joke and frankly makes me angry. I love Duke sports and basketball in particular, but sadly all the recent happenings have dampered my enthusiasm for sure.

I can overlook her over-the-top analogy (which I am guessing the media reports are pushing to even further sensationalize their pieces) since she is calling out the NCAA, which I am hoping most people agree needs reform. Anything that digs into the NCAA is OK with me because I think they deserve a lot of flak.