Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ACC Offseason moves

Let this be the thread for discussing the comings and goings of ACC teams not named Duke.

Florida State's freshman big man Ike Obiagu has decided to transfer. No word here he will go. He was really raw offensively but his sheer size was imposing and he was a good rim protector. Not sure why he is leaving as he got decent playing time considering how much he had to learn on the offensive end of the floor.

-Jason "my two sons played basketball against Ike when he played at Greenforest Academy here in Atlanta... he was freaking huge" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

OT, but... are your boys still playing?

NC State picked up a commitment from Samford's Wyatt Walker. A 6'9" 240 lb forward and and 3rd team all-Southern Conference player as a sophomore. Due to a leg injury, Walker only played two games last season and was granted a redshirt.

He will have two years left to play and be eligible this upcoming season.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    OT, but... are your boys still playing?
    Nope, they've moved on to college and are drinking, not playing sports

But, I got to see Ike and Wendell and a couple other prominent D1 talents up close in the small high school metro Atlanta leagues. A couple years ago, my oldest absolutely shut down Deaundrae Ballard, who's a pretty nice player for Florida. Probably the highlight of his career. He also got dunked on by Wendell, no shame in that
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

BC's Jerome Robinson will stay in the draft (https://www.bcinterruption.com/2018/...n-in-nba-draft) a tough blow for BC and now a lot rides on Ky Bowman's decision. I have a pal who is a huge BC fan and he sarcastically told me "Don't worry we'll replace him with a McDonald's All-American." Perhaps that should be a reminder to us Duke fans how lucky we are to actually root for a team that DOES replace early entries with McDonald All-Americans.

Apologies on this one as it isn't directly "ACC" news but now Joe Cremo (who Duke might have kicked the tires on for a hot minute) is visiting KU and Nova. Odd since those schools weren't on his "final" list from a few weeks ago. If he's willing to look at KU and 'Nova it seems odd that Duke never really went after him besides a phone call.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/stat...26981767278592

Maybe he didn’t initially expect Nova and Kansas to be losing so many players, but now that DiVincenzo, Vick, Newman, etc. are in the draft in addition to the known departures, he thinks he could earn some PT at those schools.

A grad transfer is in a very different position than an incoming freshman. Taking fewer minutes in exchange for greater exposure isn’t going to work for them, because they are fighting against the perception that they are too old and have no room for improvement. So Cremo has to go somewhere where he knows he’ll get playing time, and I don’t think he would at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    Apologies on this one as it isn't directly "ACC" news but now Joe Cremo (who Duke might have kicked the tires on for a hot minute) is visiting KU and Nova. Odd since those schools weren't on his "final" list from a few weeks ago. If he's willing to look at KU and 'Nova it seems odd that Duke never really went after him besides a phone call.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/stat...26981767278592
    Not odd at all. I assume Cremo is looking to start for a contender; he won't start at Duke.

At Nova and KU, he has a chance to start given a) Nova's whole line-up got decimated by draft entry (most non-committal) and b) KU has an excellent frontcourt but no backcourt.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

BC's Jerome Robinson will stay in the draft (https://www.bcinterruption.com/2018/...n-in-nba-draft) a tough blow for BC and now a lot rides on Ky Bowman's decision. I have a pal who is a huge BC fan and he sarcastically told me "Don't worry we'll replace him with a McDonald's All-American." Perhaps that should be a reminder to us Duke fans how lucky we are to actually root for a team that DOES replace early entries with McDonald All-Americans.
    It should be noted that BC got three years out of lightly-recruited Robinson, not exactly the recent template for Duke's early entries.

So, perhaps an apple and oranges thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    It should be noted that BC got three years out of lightly-recruited Robinson, not exactly the recent template for Duke's early entries.

Syracuse is the Orange thing ...

Duke does like to play in the Big Apple ...

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

I would say a Fuji apple to Honey Crisp apple comparison but YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Not odd at all. I assume Cremo is looking to start for a contender; he won't start at Duke.

At Nova and KU, he has a chance to start given a) Nova's whole line-up got decimated by draft entry (most non-committal) and b) KU has an excellent frontcourt but no backcourt.
    I'd be surprised if DiVincenzo leaves but who knows. Kansas has Charlie Moore next year so not exactly "no" backcourt and all I've heard is how Duke has no shooting and no experience next year so Cremo would seem like a fit. It's just a weird process I guess. Anyway good luck Joe Cremo!

I'd be surprised if DiVincenzo leaves but who knows. Kansas has Charlie Moore next year so not exactly "no" backcourt and all I've heard is how Duke has no shooting and no experience next year so Cremo would seem like a fit. It's just a weird process I guess. Anyway good luck Joe Cremo!
    I agree that Duke's lack of interest was the major factor. Now, maybe Cremo would've ultimately decided that Duke isn't a good fit, but we didn't allow it to get that far. Hopefully an indication that the staff is much more confident about Duke's shooting than Duke fans (and hopefully the staff is right to be confident).

All the big-time programs have competitive situations for playing time. Nova would have Quinerly and Booth in the backcourt even if DiVincenzo stays in the draft.

I've heard is how Duke has no shooting and no experience next year so Cremo would seem like a fit.
    We definitely could use a shooter, but we’re going to give the bulk of our minutes to our non-pure-shooter point guard and wings plus we have Alex who could (hopefully) fill that role. We need Cremo a lot more than he needs us. While it would be great for us to have a veteran to help mentor the young guys and play 20 minutes off the bench, I dont think that’s what he is looking for.

Everybody is a shooter. Not everybody is much of a scorer.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    We definitely could use a shooter, but we’re going to give the bulk of our minutes to our non-pure-shooter point guard and wings plus we have Alex who could (hopefully) fill that role. We need Cremo a lot more than he needs us. While it would be great for us to have a veteran to help mentor the young guys and play 20 minutes off the bench, I dont think that’s what he is looking for.
    Who knows if he could earn 20 minutes?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Second transfer out of NCSU, this one a freshmen.
    NC State reserve point guard Lavar Batts Jr. will transfer this offseason, WRAL Sports has confirmed.
    https://www.wralsportsfan.com/ncsu-f...sfer/17537482/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Very interesting...

Jeff Borzello
    Verified account
    @jeffborzello

Kentucky transfer Sacha Killeya-Jones is visiting NC State tonight and tomorrow, and Pittsburgh this weekend, his former coach Fred Cannon told ESPN.

Also has a trip to Wake Forest Memorial Day Weekend.

North Carolina has been in consistent contact, but no visit set yet.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Very interesting...
    ABC. Anywhere But Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Second transfer out of NCSU, this one a freshmen.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/ncsu-f...sfer/17537482/
    No shock there. Batts was probably losing a numbers game behind Markell Johnson, Braxton Beverly, and the mid-season acquisition of transfer Blake Harris.