Page 95 of 122 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 2439

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I feel like one of the recent one and G league guards was very fast, but I sadly cannot remember which one. Dunked at Carolina in a loss, I believe.

Okay, maybe I remember now.
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Duval? He was as fast as any point guard that we've had. Just wished he could shoot.

GoDuke!
    I did mention that he was seldom-remembered

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Roach is really fast and really explosive. He's going to put the fear of God in the other team when he has the ball in transition. Reminds me a tiny bit of Russell Westbrook. Have we had a point guard quite like him during Coach K's tenure at Duke?
    Johnny Dawkins was a point guard in 1983, his freshman season.

Decent athlete.

I'd also recommend re-watching Duke vs UCLA in the 2001 NCAAs: JWill could take contact and finish at the rim with the best of them...

Quote Originally Posted by construe View Post
    I'd also recommend re-watching Duke vs UCLA in the 2001 NCAAs: JWill could take contact and finish at the rim with the best of them...
    Yes, Roach looked very good and is a great passer in the highlights. I don’t think he’s as explosive as Jay Williams or quick as JD. if he were, think his HS recruiting rating would be top 5.

I did mention that he was seldom-remembered
    Who was?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Who was?
    The guy on first.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    The guy on first.
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Who's on first?
    Right.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

The 2020 class compared to the 2019 class

Carey v Williams:

Hurt v Brakefield:

Moore v Johnson:

Stanley v Steward:

Roach is all by himself for there was no PG in the 2019 class.
    Coleman adds the depth as a 4 star big the 2019 class didn't have.

ESPN Updated Top 100

ESPN updated its Top 100 for the class of 2020, and it's... something. They have Cade Cunningham at #3, which is insane. Things get more interesting after that. Here are the Duke guys:

15. Jalen Johnson
    18. Jeremy Roach
    23. DJ Steward
    24. Jaemyn Brakefield
    28. Mark Williams
    50. Henry Coleman III

Johnson was previously a consensus top 10 guy, so this is quite a drop. Over the summer, he was #4 for ESPN. I chalk that up to him not playing at IMG this year. Roach is about where he's been for the past year or so while Steward, Brakefield, and Williams are all risers. Coleman has dropped a couple of spots.

Based on this list, I am almost expecting to see 4 Duke commits in the McDonald's All-American game. Johnson wasn't nominated but Roach, Steward, Brakefield, and Williams could all be a part of the festivities. The team is announced on Thursday.

One of the Stephen’s scouts updated his tier-based rankings for 2021 draft class recently too and well, he seems to be higher on a few of the Duke commits.

This is the scout who wrote that outstanding piece on AJ Griffin, Jr, for whatever that is worth.

He’s very high on Brakefield, surprisingly so.

https://www.thestepien.com/2020/01/2...ad-2021-draft/

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    One of the Stephen’s scouts updated his tier-based rankings for 2021 draft class recently too and well, he seems to be higher on a few of the Duke commits.

This is the scout who wrote that outstanding piece on AJ Griffin, Jr, for whatever that is worth.

He’s very high on Brakefield, surprisingly so.

https://www.thestepien.com/2020/01/2...ad-2021-draft/
    Wow, he thinks Brakefield is a lottery pick. Brakefield has been steadily rising, but that's definitely a hot take.

Wow, he thinks Brakefield is a lottery pick. Brakefield has been steadily rising, but that's definitely a hot take.
    Worth noting that these guys don’t do mock drafts as much as they rank relative value. So he’s not necessarily projecting how NBA teams will draft as much as he’s ranking the players he thinks will provide the most value on that level.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    Worth noting that these guys don’t do mock drafts as much as they rank relative value. So he’s not necessarily projecting how NBA teams will draft as much as he’s ranking the players he thinks will provide the most value on that level.
    It's also not an explicit rating of each player's draft stock, as it excludes returning college players and international players. It's just a rough rating of the current high school seniors.

And he couches everything in "I haven't done a ton of review of these guys yet". And still caveats with "it is a risk with him in this range."

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It's also not an explicit rating of each player's draft stock, as it excludes returning college players and international players. It's just a rough rating of the current high school seniors.

And he couches everything in "I haven't done a ton of review of these guys yet". And still caveats with "it is a risk with him in this range."
    Absolutely. All that being said, I think it's a positive sign that the "cons" for Brakefield are seen as 1) age and 2) focus/consistency.

Age tends to be an advantage for college freshmen (e.g., Cassius Stanley or HansWalksaLot).

Focus/motor is more tricky, but Duke has a decent history of improving OAD's draft stock by helping them dispel the notion they don't have much of a motor. The best examples I can think of are Brandon Ingram and, this year with Vernon Carey.

If a scout says a player has good instincts, a good handle, and good touch - that's a promising combo at a place like Duke where the next man will take your spot if you don't bring it.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    ESPN updated its Top 100 for the class of 2020, and it's... something. They have Cade Cunningham at #3, which is insane. Things get more interesting after that. Here are the Duke guys:

15. Jalen Johnson
    18. Jeremy Roach
    23. DJ Steward
    24. Jaemyn Brakefield
    28. Mark Williams
    50. Henry Coleman III

Johnson was previously a consensus top 10 guy, so this is quite a drop. Over the summer, he was #4 for ESPN. I chalk that up to him not playing at IMG this year. Roach is about where he's been for the past year or so while Steward, Brakefield, and Williams are all risers. Coleman has dropped a couple of spots.

Based on this list, I am almost expecting to see 4 Duke commits in the McDonald's All-American game. Johnson wasn't nominated but Roach, Steward, Brakefield, and Williams could all be a part of the festivities. The team is announced on Thursday.
    McDonald's All-American team roster was just announced and Duke will have 2 more Burger Boys this year. Congrats to DJ Steward and Mark Williams!

I am a little shocked that Jeremy Roach was not named to the roster as he is one of the highest rated PGs in the country. Jaemyn Brakefield is another guy that was nominated, in the general range of typical McDonald's All-Americans, but was not added to the roster. Interesting.

Roach didn't make it? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    Roach didn't make it? Wow.
    Roach did make it! The PDF has him listed as "Undecided." At any rate, there are 3 Burger Boys.

I am still kind of surprised that Brakefield didn't get in while they have Dawson Garcia.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Roach did make it! The PDF has him listed as "Undecided." At any rate, there are 3 Burger Boys.
    Looks like the McDs roster needs some fact checking ... lists Barnes, Cunningham, Garcia, Suggs, and Roach as "undecided".

Jalen Johnson would have easily been on that roster too...

Not too worried about Brakefield or Coleman not making because sometime players get motivation from the snub.

Both of those players could have a good role next year