Page 94 of 122 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 2439
    Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    Since you brought him up Jason, how is Boogie doing at Memphis? Is he putting up numbers?
    I was curious also so looked it up...
    Per Game...
    21.4mpg
    .276 2fg%
    .300 3fg%
    .625 ft%
    2.8 TRB
    1.1 AST
    1.5 STL
    0.1 BLK
    1.1 TOV
    2.0 PF
    6.5 PTs

Just for kicks, here's Cassius' Per Game
    24.3 mpg
    .554 2fg%
    .441 3fg%
    .690 ft%
    4.1 TRB
    .9 AST
    1.0 STL
    .8 BLK
    1.5 TOV
    11.7 PTs
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Duke has an absolutely loaded 2020 class and will have at least 3 (Baker, AOC, JGold) significant contributors from the current team coming back (there seems to be some feeling that 1-3 additional NBA prospects could return to Duke). Why are we obsessed with adding one more player who has repeatedly stated he has no plans on reclassifying.

If we do add Kuminga, I strongly suspect someone who has already committed to Duke will go elsewhere (I fear there is a possibility of that already depending on the decisions of some of our freshmen). I do not want to see that happen**.

-Jason "**I wish Boogie Ellis had not changed his mind either... though I am quite happy with Cassius!" Evans
    Who’s Boogie Ellis? (Don’t answer. Not a real question)

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    Since you brought him up Jason, how is Boogie doing at Memphis? Is he putting up numbers?
    So I'm clearly not Jason, but I was curious about his numbers too...

Through 17 games:
    21 mins/game
    29% FG
    30% 3FG
    63% FT
    Just under 3 boards and just over 1 assist with a dead even assist/turnover ratio

So far it looks like he's making a moderate at best impact and his long range shooting would probably have sparked its own thread on here since he was so highly regarded as a shooter coming out of high school. Who on here would've predicted Cassius to be 14% higher on 3FGs halfway through the year? Looks like we really got the right left coast guard after all. Here's to Cassius having a big night tonight and to Boogie turning it around unless he's playing the blue devils.

Source: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...6/boogie-ellis

Where Kumniga would help in the 2020 class is on the inside, as far as an elite athlete is concerned. Next year you have Williams and Coleman inside. Williams isn't Carey although Coleman may have a little Javin in him, though not as tall.
    Jalen is more a point forward.

I am not sure who Kuminga would run off in the class. Maybe Brakefield. Or Hurt going to the G league. Kuminga would be strong competition for Matthew.

I don't think Kuminga is coming to Duke, however, no matter what he does.

Definitely won in the Boogie/Cassius comparison and then will further win with DJ Steward. And it will be a slam dunk if by some miracle Cassius is back for his sophomore year.
    Last edited by dm9e24; 01-18-2020 at 12:21 PM.

From Mark Stewart of JSOnline:

Duke recruit Jalen Johnson will return to Nicolet for school, not necessarily for basketball.

Jalen Johnson is returning to Nicolet.

The Duke recruit, who is one of the top boys basketball players in the nation, will enroll in the school he led to the Division 2 state championship last season, his father, Rod, wrote in a text message. Johnson spent the first part of the school year attending IMG Academy in Florida.

Rod Johnson did not share a reason for his son’s return. He said the family has not decided if it will attempt to gain eligibility for Jalen to play for Nicolet this season.

According to the WIAA’s transfer rule, Johnson will need a waiver to compete.

Johnson’s brother, Kobe, remained at Nicolet and entering play Friday shared the team’s scoring lead with 20.1 points per game. The Knights were 8-3 overall with a 6-2 mark in the North Shore that left them one game out of first place.

Johnson was the Associated Press state player of the year last season. He averaged 19.7 points, 11.7 rebounds and 5.9 assists per game for the Knights. Seven times he recorded triple-doubles. He averaged 18 points, 15.5 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game in two state tournament games and finished the year with 20 points, 20 rebounds and four assists in a 67-54 victory over Milwaukee Washington in the state final.

——————-

Nicolet’s first game, following semester exams is January 31st.

Jeremy Roach had 16 points and 7 assists in a victory over Sierra Canyon as mention looked on (who also has top 5 recruit Zaire Williams). Trevor Keels, who Duke recently offered, had 24.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    Jeremy Roach had 16 points and 7 assists in a victory over Sierra Canyon as mention looked on (who also has top 5 recruit Zaire Williams). Trevor Keels, who Duke recently offered, had 24.
    Garbled? Or, is my reading comprehension worse than I thought?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Some D-1 basketball coach should recruit the entire Montverde prep team. Geez, they are very good !

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Garbled? Or, is my reading comprehension worse than I thought?
    I was on mobile and didn't realize that auto-correct changed my already hastily typed post. Jeremy Roach had 16 points and 7 assists in a victory over Sierra Canyon (who also has top 5 recruit Zaire Williams in addition to Bronny) as LeBron James looked on. Trevor Keels (Roach's teammate), who Duke recently offered, had 24.

Quote Originally Posted by mstein34 View Post
    From Mark Stewart of JSOnline:

Duke recruit Jalen Johnson will return to Nicolet for school, not necessarily for basketball.

Jalen Johnson is returning to Nicolet.

The Duke recruit, who is one of the top boys basketball players in the nation, will enroll in the school he led to the Division 2 state championship last season, his father, Rod, wrote in a text message. Johnson spent the first part of the school year attending IMG Academy in Florida.

Rod Johnson did not share a reason for his son’s return. He said the family has not decided if it will attempt to gain eligibility for Jalen to play for Nicolet this season.

According to the WIAA’s transfer rule, Johnson will need a waiver to compete.

Johnson’s brother, Kobe, remained at Nicolet and entering play Friday shared the team’s scoring lead with 20.1 points per game. The Knights were 8-3 overall with a 6-2 mark in the North Shore that left them one game out of first place.

Johnson was the Associated Press state player of the year last season. He averaged 19.7 points, 11.7 rebounds and 5.9 assists per game for the Knights. Seven times he recorded triple-doubles. He averaged 18 points, 15.5 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game in two state tournament games and finished the year with 20 points, 20 rebounds and four assists in a 67-54 victory over Milwaukee Washington in the state final.

——————-

Nicolet’s first game, following semester exams is January 31st.
    It is good to hear that Johnson is doing something with his final year in high school. Sounds like things just did not work out at IMG. I hope he is able to get eligibility and play for Nicolet with his younger brother. Kobe, by the way, is a class of 2021 PG (6-3). He is not considered nearly the prospect as Jalen but he does have offers from some Big East schools and several teams in the Big Ten are looking at him as well.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

... Kobe, by the way, is a class of 2021 PG (6-3). He is not considered nearly the prospect as Jalen but he does have offers from some Big East schools and several teams in the Big Ten are looking at him as well.
    So we've got the big Johnson ...

WaPo

I was on mobile and didn't realize that auto-correct changed my already hastily typed post. Jeremy Roach had 16 points and 7 assists in a victory over Sierra Canyon (who also has top 5 recruit Zaire Williams in addition to Bronny) as LeBron James looked on. Trevor Keels (Roach's teammate), who Duke recently offered, had 24.
    Here's the Washington Post article on this game: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...sierra-canyon/

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    So we've got the big Johnson ...
    Well that’s what she said https://wkow.com/2019/07/04/former-s...mmits-to-duke/

Some high quality footage of our future PG Jeremy Roach just dominating Sierra Canyon's loaded squad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEqu9mK22Ig

Other notables in this game include:

BJ Boston, 2020 UK commit
    Ziaire Williams, undeclared 2020 forward
    Trevor Keels, 2021 guard with a Duke offer
    Bronny James, 2023 guard with a Duke offer
    Harold Yu, 7'3" Chinese center

This class has a lot of pieces that have both potential but also questions...

J Johnson was injured and now has switched back to his hometown HS. He hasn't played in a while. How will he show both after injury? Although he is a uber skilled forward, his 3 pt shooting has been a question mark for him. What role will he play at Duke? The stretch 4, or the 3? There is no doubt he is OAD.

J Brakefield is more of a stretch 4 because he can shoot the ball. But he needs to add strength and desire to rebound, bang when needed in the paint and get stuck in defensively. Depending on the site he is a 4 or 5 star player.

H Coleman has the motor and grit to get on the boards but is he a PF or SF? at 6-6, or 6-7 or 6-8 (listed at all of them) and 210-238 (again, such a range) leaves some to imagine. He is my sleeper player (like Stanley was this year) to make an impact that wasn't really perceived.

M Williams has that Case Sanders build and is a beast defensively but what will he offer offensively. latest reports say he is still developing his post play and he may not offer that 5 that can score

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Some high quality footage of our future PG Jeremy Roach just dominating Sierra Canyon's loaded squad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEqu9mK22Ig
    Ummm, wow he looked good! His passing and handle looked really special. And he looks like he has recovered quite nicely from the ACL surgery if that absurd dunk was any indication.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Ummm, wow he looked good! His passing and handle looked really special. And he looks like he has recovered quite nicely from the ACL surgery if that absurd dunk was any indication.
    Agreed. As a two-time member of the ACL gang, I had to do a double take because 1) he didn't have a knee sleeve or something with minimal bracing or support and 2) he looked even better than the videos I remember from before the injury. Excited to see him in the right shade of blue!

Roach is really fast and really explosive. He's going to put the fear of God in the other team when he has the ball in transition. Reminds me a tiny bit of Russell Westbrook. Have we had a point guard quite like him during Coach K's tenure at Duke? I can't speak too much for the 80's teams, but Roach might be one of, if not the fastest point guard for Coach K. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my best recollection, Chris Duhon actually might be the best run/jump athlete we've had at the PG position. Or perhaps the seldom remembered Trevon Duval.

Kyrie is really in a different category, with his ridiculous skills, but has never been an explosive athlete. J-Will was a great athlete, but I remember him being more of a bulldog, using his brute strength to get to his spots.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Roach is really fast and really explosive. He's going to put the fear of God in the other team when he has the ball in transition. Reminds me a tiny bit of Russell Westbrook. Have we had a point guard quite like him during Coach K's tenure at Duke? I can't speak too much for the 80's teams, but Roach might be one of, if not the fastest point guard for Coach K. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my best recollection, Chris Duhon actually might be the best run/jump athlete we've had at the PG position. Or perhaps the seldom remembered Trevon Duval.

Kyrie is really in a different category, with his ridiculous skills, but has never been an explosive athlete. J-Will was a great athlete, but I remember him being more of a bulldog, using his brute strength to get to his spots.
    I feel like one of the recent one and G league guards was very fast, but I sadly cannot remember which one. Dunked at Carolina in a loss, I believe.

Okay, maybe I remember now.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I feel like one of the recent one and G league guards was very fast, but I sadly cannot remember which one. Dunked at Carolina in a loss, I believe.

Okay, maybe I remember now.
    Duval? He was as fast as any point guard that we've had. Just wished he could shoot.

GoDuke!